• ...and so much more!
  • Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I have loaded light to medium power 45 ACP 230 grain target loads for many years using Bullseye and W231. They both shoot fine but can be pretty dirty. I shoot mostly plated bullets and a few powder coated bullets. Does INGO have any recommendations for different propellents that burn cleaner in this cartridge?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    If you want light its gonna ba a fast burner like #2, Bulleye, VV 310 and so on.
    Im a Bullseye, Unique loader.
    I use Bulleye with my wadcutter autos with a cast 148 wc at 3.1 - 3.2 grains and get a clean burn.
    I use both with 9mm, 40 and 45 acp.
    Im really big with Unique in a +P 124 grn 9mm load. Its clean.

Have you tried bumping the load up a half a grain?

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    For light target loads, I use Clays. I've loaded lots of 38 special and 45 ACP with Clays, as well as 12 gauge shells. I use Clays for other pistol loads, but those are what I load the most of. Clays is pretty clean.

EDIT: If you want higher or max velocities, powders that are slower than Clays (Unique, AA#5, WFS, etc) would work better. A fast powder (Clays, Bullseye, and others) is best for light target loads.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have loaded light to medium power 45 ACP 230 grain target loads for many years using Bullseye and W231. They both shoot fine but can be pretty dirty. I shoot mostly plated bullets and a few powder coated bullets. Does INGO have any recommendations for different propellents that burn cleaner in this cartridge?
    I use 6gr CFE Pistol under a 230gr coated LRN.
    I use Hoosier Bullets or Summitt City Bullets.
    This is a very clean load.

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    I buy most of my .45acp range ammo from a man that loads commercially and if it weren't for buying it cheap I would quit shooting it as he uses Titegroup and it is one of the dirtiest powders that I've shot with the .45acp. I've got a lot of brass and may pick up dues and start loading my own (I load .38, .357 and .44).

I may try the HP38 powder if I can find it locally.

Top Bottom