Russia vs Ukraine anyone watching this ignite?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Great way to secure support against Russia…

At this point I’m pretty convinced that they’re trying to break every local/national/international institution.

Under U.S. law, individual visa records are confidential and we cannot provide details as to who is or will be affected." Unless they are Russian,Iranian,Cuban,Venezuelan,or from any number of lists that have all been made public,but this time it is super top secret and against the law.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Of all the combat videos I've seen out of Ukraine, only a few showed any snow, and it wasn't much. Even the Russian propaganda videos, such as taking an airfield or from attack helicopters didn't show any snow.

Whatever money they spent on basic vehicle or equipment maintenance appears to have wound up in the pockets of officers. Their trucks and light armored vehicles are blowing out tires because they are old and sat around in storage and not regularly moved. They air down for mud and start to flex and boom...they blow. Logistical problems are hindering them as much as Ukranians. They are not at all an effective offensive force. But I still wouldn't want to go up against them when they are on the defensive.

As for A-10s, as fun as that sounds, I wouldn't be caught in one unless their air defenses were completely destroyed. I'd much prefer dropping some PGM's on them from altitude in an F-35. It'll take them out just fine and I'll make it home for dinner. And they won't suffer much, either, because they will not have seen anything coming.
    Well, the A-10s would be flying over Ukrainian soil so there would be no Russian air defenses to contend with sans some low level tactical stuff. For F-35's SEAD is the new CAS. They would obliterate anything the Ruskies brought with them and the A-10's would sweep the field.

Also, if you're doing CAS in contested airspace you're doing it wrong and pilot attrition might not be the worst of your worries.

Last edited:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Do they let you keep your A-10 when you retire? :):
    For me it would be an F-4...but the AVG concept was we supply the planes gratis and you sign on with a different army to fly them.

Upkeep and operating costs of combat aircraft are a bit outside the realm of us old retired guys. ;)

While I'm sure with a refresher I could still fly I'm not sure how many days of +8/-6 G's I'd be up for (but sign me up anyway!). Luckily there doesn't seem to be a lot of air combat going on there as the Russians are ceeding the field and moving to UAVs only.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    You guys do know Russians are kinda on the racist side!

We are “westerners“ non Slavic = not equal !

Nearly everyone is prejudiced towards their own group, even when that group has been arbitrarily formed by others (think back to H.S. gym and sides being picked for a team.) And that's without centuries of history.

I tend to think of this as a survival mechanism, back from when unknown people were much more likely to kill you, take your women and resources, then be friendly, trade tall tales over the campfire and break fast together.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Good read. That last 'graph is one of the most important. Training by Western powers is providing a tactical and strategic advantage over Russian/Soviet doctrine.

Without the looming "Great Reset" this crisis (assuming an outcome favorable to Ukraine,) would give the United States and it's allies a leg up on whose side do you want to be on.

As it is, this all feels staged to keep us in crisis mode and begging for Big Daddy Government to keep us safe and snuggly.

One of Kiev’s key strategists is General Valery Salushny, the commander-in-chief of Ukraine’s armed forces. He has championed respectful treatment of his own soldiers since before the war and has pushed for renewal and rejuvenation of the force. And he made sure early on to train his people to use drones and anti-tank missiles. His troops can act tactically intelligent, and they benefit from arms supplies from the West. All of this is now helping him fight Putin’s army, which suffers from massive logistical problems and low morale.

“Are the Ukrainians capable of driving out the Russians? No. Are they capable of winning the war? Yes.”

Michael Kofman, military expert

About one-third of Ukraine’s 900,000 reservists have been on combat duty in the east of the country at times through rotations since 2014. The soldiers are more experienced than many of their opponents. “Russia is facing a combination of well-trained Ukrainian military, experienced reservists and untrained civilians who far outnumber them,” says John Spencer, director of Urban Warfare Studies at the New York-based think tank Madison Policy Forum and one of the most renowned experts on urban warfare. Spencer speaks of a David versus Goliath scenario in the Ukraine war. This, he says, has been reversed. “The Russians are now David.”

Ukrainian troops are pursuing a dual strategy. On the one hand, they are retreating to urban areas because cities are easier to defend, and attempts to conquer them are costly to the enemy. On the other hand, they rely on numerous raids in the countryside. Especially in the north, where there is a lot of forested, muddy terrain where it is difficult for vehicles to move off the roads, the Ukrainians attack the enemy: Small, mobile groups there regularly inflict heavy losses on Russian convoys with anti-tank weapons.

Coming to the Ukrainians’ rescue is the weather: Russian military leaders apparently did not adequately consider weather and ground conditions in their planning, and were caught off guard by the early start of spring in some parts of the country. “Mud,” Spencer says, “can bring an entire army to a standstill.”

But more than their tactical approach, the implementation of their operations amazes international observers. “I was surprised at how well they fight,” says Rusi expert Arnold.

Both countries have been working for years to renew their armies. But unlike the Russians, who apparently relied too much on high-tech equipment, the Ukrainians have focused on tactical training of their troops. With the help of Western military experts from the United Kingdom and the United States, for example, soldiers were trained on weapons and trained to defend cities.

Ukraine’s 2016 military reform program focused on essentials given the poor starting point of the armed forces. Strategists and trainers took care of modernizing the force, redefining issues such as command, control and military planning, and professionalizing medical care and logistics. And they made a point of allowing their units to act on their own initiative. This is precisely what now makes their armed forces strikingly different from the strictly hierarchical Russian military apparatus.

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Good read. That last 'graph is one of the most important. Training by Western powers is providing a tactical and strategic advantage over Russian/Soviet doctrine.

Without the looming "Great Reset" this crisis (assuming an outcome favorable to Ukraine,) would give the United States and it's allies a leg up on whose side do you want to be on.

As it is, this all feels staged to keep us in crisis mode and begging for Big Daddy Government to keep us safe and snuggly.

I find this to be a pretty accurate assessment. Russia has put a lot of time and money into the development of higher tech missile weaponry so Putin can show it off to the detriment of actual troop and conventional weapons training along with insufficient command and control, equipment maintenance and logistics. Ukraine has done the opposite and the advantage is pretty apparent in that regard..

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Map, still stalled.

FOd_r-XWUAM9Rz7

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom