RSOs view of the world.. Training or the lack of it :)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I used to be set up like that before the kids came along. Now I'm working on building back up to it slowly again. Considering diverting part of the oldest ones chore money to the "buying back gun stuff dad sold to buy formula" fund.

Brother we have all been there. I have sold my cars guns and bikes if life made it so.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    My wife loads mags while I shoot. I load mags while she shoots. The bags are much lighter when we leave, so I don't mind carrying them out. She hasn't caught on to that one yet :):

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    I know this won't surprise some but I'm still trying to rationalize it in my mind. I realized after my shift Saturday how many men bring their spouse/girlfriend with them to the range and pay for them to be the second shooter on the lane. This is a good thing but a large percentage of them seem very disinterested, never shoot and appear to be there just for an audience/cheerleader. If they just wanted to observe they could watch through the window for FREE! Any thoughts?

NRA Life Member / Basic Pistol instructor / RSO

"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard"
    Unnamed Navy Seal

“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public”

Aron Bright

I don't know how many times I've seen people purchase family memberships for our club. They sit through the safety presentation and say that they will get their spouse to catch up on it next time.

I can't count the times I've never seen the spouse. In general, I've hardly ever seen the guy again. My brother (also an RSO) and I have discussed this at great length.

Conclusions:
    Guy wants a range membership with the best of hopes he can shoot regularly.
    Guy justifies membership purchase by making it a "family" activity.
    Guy thinks the family membership will entice spouse to engage in shooting activity.
    Guy doesn't get as much free time to go to the range as much as he thought he would.
    Guy realizes that it was a waste of money and our club has a 30%-50% turnover rate every year.

We have frequently suggested the purchase of a single membership and then paying the guest fee if they can get their significant other to come along.

Other observations:
    Spouses or those otherwise involved in a relationship should not attempt to be a firearms instructor to the uninitiated. Too many relationship factors seem to come into play. I've been told this is very similar to golf. Instruction from a total stranger is received much better and there aren't any overtones of bias, things being implied and personal offenses.

I agree NHT3, in general females seem disinterested/intimidated in the activity when brought along as a tag-along. I hope that what you are seeing is an attempt to break down the first hurdle and eliminate the intimidation factor.

Unfortunately, what I have seen too many times is an intimidated woman being given a gun she is afraid of, given minimal introduction and then given micro-managed tutelage. Critiquing and making suggestions after every single shot is a sure way to short tempers and a sour experience.

Inadequate ear protection. Double up foamies AND over-the-ear.
    Avoid slide bite due to poor oversight (for safety, not criticizing).
    Game playing, like starting off with a .45 or hiding a .357 somewhere amongst the .38s.
    Poor choices of firearms. Titanium and alloyed hammerless .357 snubbies are easy to carry but difficult to shoot well. Ultra-compact, two finger grip .380s and 9 mms are not a good way to start someone off.

Little guns seem to be less intimidating to women than big guns so they seem to gravitate towards them. Convince them before going to the range this is a poorly conceived notion.

Sorry, I probably wandered outside the original question but women and guns are things I have a lot of thoughts about.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    KjK you are on point here.
    I have seen men do the big bore thing and scare the hell out of the significant other or even a sister. I seriously want to throat punch these jacka$$es.

My spouse gets involved. I am blessed in this.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Other observations:
    Spouses or those otherwise involved in a relationship should not attempt to be a firearms instructor to the uninitiated. Too many relationship factors seem to come into play. I've been told this is very similar to golf. Instruction from a total stranger is received much better and there aren't any overtones of bias, things being implied and personal offenses.

Boy howdy.

I know that I know what I'm doing. A great many others here on INGO can attest to that.

I also know that I'm not a great teacher - especially when it involves my wife.

She's pretty squared away. A big handful of INGOers can attest to that, too.

But I still have others give her live-fire shooting instruction. We'll do dry handling at home (heh) - but for honest instruction - best for another person to do it.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    The range is always a "font" in information. Learned today that anticipation is cured not by training but just more rounds down range. It didn't seem to be working for the lady that was missing a 12x18 target about 80% of the time at 5 yards but her husband was loading mags and encouraging her, at least 100 rounds. :laugh:

SAD 3 yard target, yes I said 3 yards

URIRR2t.jpg

Why waste time loading mags at the range?

4cNn9A8.jpg

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The range is always a "font" in information. Learned today that anticipation is cured not by training but just more rounds down range. It didn't seem to be working for the lady that was missing a 12x18 target about 80% of the time at 5 yards but her husband was loading mags and encouraging her, at least 100 rounds. :laugh:

SAD 3 yard target, yes I said 3 yards

URIRR2t.jpg

Why waste time loading mags at the range?

4cNn9A8.jpg

Just to clarify, the 3 yard target, not shooting full-auto?

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Guy shooting at a 8" X 8" target at 7 Yards with a 22 pistol. Managed to shoot both binder clips off in his first 10 shots and told me with a serious face he didn't know what happened:lmfao:. I assured him that I knew exactly what happened, he shot them off. I suggested he move the target a little closer. :)

7 Yard target with an AR-15, need I say more.

Ej5xdlQ.jpg

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Guy shooting at a 8" X 8" target at 7 Yards with a 22 pistol. Managed to shoot both binder clips off in his first 10 shots and told me with a serious face he didn't know what happened:lmfao:. I assured him that I knew exactly what happened, he shot them off. I suggested he move the target a little closer. :)

7 Yard target with an AR-15, need I say more.

Ej5xdlQ.jpg

Must be that new experimental 223 birdshot ammo.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    After being warned about shooting the ceiling customer responded " I know, I'm shooting a revolver and I usually shoot a semi auto". :scratch::ugh: Seemed to be one of those answers that no one asked the questions for.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach[/FONT]

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    After being warned about shooting the ceiling customer responded " I know, I'm shooting a revolver and I usually shoot a semi auto". :scratch::ugh: Seemed to be one of those answers that no one asked the questions for.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach[/FONT]
    How do you find these gems? If I saw half of what you do I'd be sick

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield

More like, if THAT was the answer, it must have been a really stupid question?

nelsomas

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2019
    indianapolis
    Took me a bit, but I’m so glad I went through all 56 pages of this thread. it is amazing what people will do, especially with a gun in their hand.

was at PB today when a gentleman brought a handgun behind the firing line to the tables. RSO immediately came over to explain the rules and told him to take it back to the lane. Dude acknowledged what the RSO said, but continued to load a another mag with the gun on the table (pointing sideways, muzzling the entrance). RSO continued to try and get the guy to take the gun back, but apparently the gentleman saw this as a recommendation and not an order. Eventually, the dude starts to yell at the RSO that he understands what he’s saying, and eventually took the gun back to the lane.

the RSO kept his cool and explained its a safety policy and moved on. It’s mind blowing to me that people see safety as a recommendation. If the RSO asks you to take the gun back to the lane, don’t try to load a mag before doing so.

Top Bottom