RSOs view of the world.. Training or the lack of it :)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    The target posted above leaves me with more questions than conclusions. Was the target only shot by one person? Was it shot by a new shooter? Was it shot while just plinking or was it a training exercise? I've seen people who left a target like that which had been shot with a .22 and since whatever they were going to shoot would make a bigger hole they just used what was there. Also, many gun owners..maybe most gun owners just make an occasional trip to the range just for entertainment and not to actually train. We've all seen these people when they roll in to the range and that's ok. Even the guy/gal that only once or twice a year shoots the gun they keep in the closet may help the rest of us at the polls. I just hope they don't shoot targets like this with their edc gun and proudly exclaim how good it is.
    Now, like others when I shoot I always strive to focus on quality time used for improvement. But there are times too when it's just about having fun. Like when I take a new shooter, the goals then are to be safe and have fun. So, again I have morw questions than speculation

Two shooters, not sure what their experience was but obviously not much. Training or plinking I have no idea what they considered it. I see too many people that their point of aim is anywhere on the paper and I would imagine they would call it training. For me to be having fun I would need be able to, at the least, see if I was hitting the paper. Just making noise is not fun for me, fireworks are cheaper if that's my goal. If sending rounds down range without having a clue where they are going it's their time and money but that's when I have questions without answers. :) I'm often curious about people's goals in the range but I don't ask.
    Side note, after watching a guy "training" with a Ruger 38 LCP he finished by sending an 8X11 paper with a target down to 5 yards. After putting 5 rounds down range at the target and missing the paper with every shot he dropped 5 hollow points in the pistol and dropped it in his pocket. :dunno:

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” Coach[/FONT]

Last edited:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Me as well, as long as I can stay off his list. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's not that difficult. :) Just home from a pretty busy 4 hours and no one even came close to making the list.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO…[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” Coach[/FONT]

Last edited:

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Remeber folks to stay off his list do the following

1) Don’t shoot a pistol at too close a target
    2) Def. Don’t shoot a rifle at < 10 yards
    4) Don’t shoot your target too many times
    5) Don’t use equipment that the rep disapproved of
    6) Don’t miss

anything I’m missing

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

6) Don’t miss

anything I’m missing

Yes.
    You are not looking at this thread in the manner it is being presented. That you disagree is OK but in fact you disagree with everyone.
    Why am I seeing the point and you rise up in anger at it. Seems you do this in every training thread. Rail out against blue guns and the intended use and on and on.

You make dome solid points. But you are also a troll.

Prove me wrong.

jek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2019
    Was at a CCW qual shoot (previous state) and a guy was loading up his revolver, but lacked hearing protection. The instructed pointed it out, and the guy grabbed his muffs, gun in hand, and put them on his head, gun in hand. Instructor was apoplectic. No idea if he passed or not, as I was leaving at that point. But given the numerous saftey violations...

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

6) Don’t miss

anything I’m missing
    If it annoys you so much why come here? The rest of us enjoy the thread. If you don't go find one that you like or get a job as an RSO and start your own thread where you give morons training tips while trying not to get shot at. It would be fun

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If it annoys you so much why come here?

Because he is compelled to find fault with about every person on Ingo that trains or puts out an idea towards safety.

Yet he offers zero in another path to follow. Zero.

How much time/effort have you put into helping others toward the light. That being safe gun handling.
    How much.

I will admit my time doing this has greatly reduced due to life. But I do have an entire family that we are taking to the range to introduce them to firearms and the proper handling of them.

3 rules or 4 what difference does it make. Just follow the damned things and stop with the petty bashing. Just stop it. Or show us what else can be done to expose the stupid and possibly fix it.

How often have you tried to assist another person at the range. Have you experienced the wall. The wall of I know WTF I am doing so leave me alone. I have. It is madning but yet we continue to try.

I have asked this member to stop trolling these threads. Yet he continues regardless. To the point the next vacation will be permanent. I am done being ignored. Yeah yeah yeah I have already heard it all. Just an internet forum so what. Lets push that some more OK.

So take this for what it is worth. If you want to be a snarky troll, be careful. Your time here is limited.
    If you want to be a contributing member with solid ideas that go with your opposing opinion then post them up. It will be a welcome change to this crap.

The mouse is done.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Despite my best efforts, I still haven't made "the list".

Mainly because he's never working when I've been in to PB.

I do have my birthday present from PB that I need to redeem. 1 hour range time, if I remember correctly.

I'll shoot my AR pistol at 3 yards and see if I can catch it on fire. Probably not. 15' is a long way for the flames.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Much good stuff on this thread. Getting thru the wall is the hardest part of training. CM hits it on the head. It takes a humble diplomatic amable person with moxy to bust thru to billybob. And then you still may have nothing to grow on after that. I commend all those of us that try. Remember, the more we can turn the less idiots we have giving gun owners a bad name. Many times I waive my fee or travel just to bring one up to speed. I will help in anyway I can the financially challenged. Shooting is expensive. Learning correctly shouldn't be.This year has been good to me as I have had several families coming together for training which includes kids as young as 7. Seldom do I have to repeat myself with women and children. They listen and absorb more better than us men folk it seems. As Trainers we are saving lives here. We are improving marksmanship and safe gun handling. We are very easily mistaken as intimidators when in fact we want to do the opposite. We try to introduce the shooting sports to billybob not to beat him in scores but in hopes he will learn to beat us. The best compliment we can achieve is seeing our students excel. Not everyone gets it. Not everyone is committed. Again, Master Class shooters have AD's and finger calls every weekend across America. You shouldn't focus on winning. You should focus on how to win and what the real prize for you will be. Strong fundamentals that you can take anywhere in the world. If the threat of education stings to the point where the GO would rather fight than switch well that's on him and we see them everyday. A
    ll good trainers
    can spot them pretty darn quick and the better trainers work hard to save him. But there comes a time when it is a waste of time.

Good shooting to all.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Want a positive story from the range?

Two brothers showed up 30 minutes before closing Saturday inquiring about a membership. Between the two of them they own just one gun and they had just bought it. After spending 15 minutes answering questions about membership I offered to let them shoot a couple of magazines through their new gun as long as they didn't mind me standing right behind them.

I gave them the short version of the rules and directed the guy to keep the action open when not in use.

Dude 1 (gun owner) can't figure out how to get the slide to stay open. Eventually he got it. He gives the gun to his brother. His experience level shooting was obviously lacking at best. He loaded up another mag and continued to spay the target. I was just trying to make sure he didn't wrap his left-hand thumb around the back of the grip.

Dude 1 gets his gun back, and loads a mag. He kept about a 6 inch group at seven yards. Unfortunately, I couldn't tell which target on the paper he was shooting at. I figured keeping the group at 6 inches was a pretty good start.

They went away pretty happy they got to shoot their new gun. Hopefully the club gets some new members and the guys left with an impression that someone at a gun range can be respectful, encouraging and helpful.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    New shooter I had today for private lesson. She had owned a gun for several years but never fired a pistol before today. Shooting at 5 yards. Started out a little rocky with her 380 but had her doing some impressive shooting with my TX22. Center target is a 15 round group from the TX22. Bottom right is 5 shots with a Glock model 45 MOS with an optic.. It's very rewarding to see a new shooter perform like this. :)
    4V9Rtsx.jpg

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I know this won't surprise some but I'm still trying to rationalize it in my mind. I realized after my shift Saturday how many men bring their spouse/girlfriend with them to the range and pay for them to be the second shooter on the lane. This is a good thing but a large percentage of them seem very disinterested, never shoot and appear to be there just for an audience/cheerleader. If they just wanted to observe they could watch through the window for FREE! Any thoughts?

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT]

“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public”

[FONT=&amp]Aron Bright [/FONT]

Ndavid45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    10   2   0
    Apr 29, 2019
    Indianapolis
    I know this won't surprise some but I'm still trying to rationalize it in my mind. I realized after my shift Saturday how many men bring their spouse/girlfriend with them to the range and pay for them to be the second shooter on the lane. This is a good thing but a large percentage of them seem very disinterested, never shoot and appear to be there just for an audience/cheerleader. If they just wanted to observe they could watch through the window for FREE! Any thoughts?

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT]

“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public”

[FONT=&amp]Aron Bright [/FONT]

I know that when I bring my girlfriend to the range I'm lucky if I'm allowed to do anything other than load mags for her. There are times I'll get a second lane just so i can actually be able to shoot. Somehow i still end up having to load mags for her though. A time or two I've seen her encourage someone like mentioned above to try shooting one of her guns. She used to be timid about shooting until about the third range visit.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I know that when I bring my girlfriend to the range I'm lucky if I'm allowed to do anything other than load mags for her. There are times I'll get a second lane just so i can actually be able to shoot. Somehow i still end up having to load mags for her though. A time or two I've seen her encourage someone like mentioned above to try shooting one of her guns. She used to be timid about shooting until about the third range visit.

Uh.....buy more mags man. More mags.

Ndavid45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    10   2   0
    Apr 29, 2019
    Indianapolis
    I used to be set up like that before the kids came along. Now I'm working on building back up to it slowly again. Considering diverting part of the oldest ones chore money to the "buying back gun stuff dad sold to buy formula" fund.

Top Bottom