RSOs view of the world.. Training or the lack of it :)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Took me a bit, but I’m so glad I went through all 56 pages of this thread. it is amazing what people will do, especially with a gun in their hand.

was at PB today when a gentleman brought a handgun behind the firing line to the tables. RSO immediately came over to explain the rules and told him to take it back to the lane. Dude acknowledged what the RSO said, but continued to load a another mag with the gun on the table (pointing sideways, muzzling the entrance). RSO continued to try and get the guy to take the gun back, but apparently the gentleman saw this as a recommendation and not an order. Eventually, the dude starts to yell at the RSO that he understands what he’s saying, and eventually took the gun back to the lane.

the RSO kept his cool and explained its a safety policy and moved on. It’s mind blowing to me that people see safety as a recommendation. If the RSO asks you to take the gun back to the lane, don’t try to load a mag before doing so.

That is a perfect example at why sometimes RSOs have to become a$$es

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Don’t know what’s worse. Billy Bobs with a gun or RSO not throwing him out the place.

In that RSOs situation what's the PB policy? As a corporate conpany they (not specifically PB but any major place, CVS, Krogers you get what I'm saying) often side with the customer even when customers are blatantly in the wrong so that fine line has to sometimes be walked wether we like it or not

So until I know the whole situation I'm personally not going to chastise the dude but people at range can drive one batty sometimes.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    The above also points out the importance of how you use language. (I have no idea what was actually said by the RSO).

"Sir, I'm going to need you to move that firearm back to the firing line."
    -----Response: "Ok." (I was planning on doing precisely that. Just as soon as I finish loading this mag).

"Sir, I need you to stop what you're doing, and immediately move that firearm back to the firing line before you do anything else."

...totally different.

Not saying the idiot still won't be recalcitrant. But different words can lead to a totally different communicated understanding.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Would you like to explain? I am sure RSO's everywhere could benefit from your insight.

Don

Absolutely I will. There are some great Indoor Commercial ranges and many are well staffed. I shoot and have memberships at many. However, just like cops...Employees can't be everywhere all the time, At a popular Range in Omaha We witnessed an RSO with his head down playing video games on his phone while he was supposed to be watching the line. When I woke him up and pointed out lane 6 and 7 he then advised the shooter to quit going between lanes with firearms with his girlie friend. Now of course this is not a reflection on most RSO/employees and I am sure management watches this. So, when I hear of one that is observant and on the ball I compliment him. Most offenses are recorded on CCTV and the Owner should back his RSO on adverse Billy Bobs. We as shooters should be watched at all times and watch back with lots of Awareness at the same time. Doing some consulting work on another indoor range a few years back, not 30 minutes into my eval I noticed the observation windows from the showroom to the range was covered up with GunBoxes and rifle cases and such. Zero visibility to the line from the obstructed viewing window. RSO went to lunch and informed cash register person to keep an eye on the range. Didn't happen. If I can find that report I will try to post the pic. Again, this is not ALL ranges but it does not take much to see the opportunities. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Absolutely I will. There are some great Indoor Commercial ranges and many are well staffed. I shoot and have memberships at many. However, just like cops...Employees can't be everywhere all the time, At a popular Range in Omaha We witnessed an RSO with his head down playing video games on his phone while he was supposed to be watching the line. When I woke him up and pointed out lane 6 and 7 he then advised the shooter to quit going between lanes with firearms with his girlie friend. Now of course this is not a reflection on most RSO/employees and I am sure management watches this. So, when I hear of one that is observant and on the ball I compliment him. Most offenses are recorded on CCTV and the Owner should back his RSO on adverse Billy Bobs. We as shooters should be watched at all times and watch back with lots of Awareness at the same time. Doing some consulting work on another indoor range a few years back, not 30 minutes into my eval I noticed the observation windows from the showroom to the range was covered up with GunBoxes and rifle cases and such. Zero visibility to the line from the obstructed viewing window. RSO went to lunch and informed cash register person to keep an eye on the range. Didn't happen. If I can find that report I will try to post the pic. Again, this is not ALL ranges but it does not take much to see the opportunities. Hope this helps.

Never a missed opportunity to release the breath gate. Bless you for your omnipotent presence. You referred to yourself 11 times. Hallowed be thy experiences.

vincess

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 14, 2017
    Indy
    Took me a bit, but I’m so glad I went through all 56 pages of this thread. it is amazing what people will do, especially with a gun in their hand.

was at PB today when a gentleman brought a handgun behind the firing line to the tables. RSO immediately came over to explain the rules and told him to take it back to the lane. Dude acknowledged what the RSO said, but continued to load a another mag with the gun on the table (pointing sideways, muzzling the entrance). RSO continued to try and get the guy to take the gun back, but apparently the gentleman saw this as a recommendation and not an order. Eventually, the dude starts to yell at the RSO that he understands what he’s saying, and eventually took the gun back to the lane.

the RSO kept his cool and explained its a safety policy and moved on. It’s mind blowing to me that people see safety as a recommendation. If the RSO asks you to take the gun back to the lane, don’t try to load a mag before doing so.

Care to share which PB this was? The one I was a member of (Carmel) the RSO's were CONSTANTLY telling people to please stop taking their pistols/rifles from the lane. Most of them looked totally confused, as if they weren't told this BEFORE they went in. (which of course they were). Thinking there should be some "repeat after me" schpeal going on before letting most of these folks go back there.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Care to share which PB this was? The one I was a member of (Carmel) the RSO's were CONSTANTLY telling people to please stop taking their pistols/rifles from the lane. Most of them looked totally confused, as if they weren't told this BEFORE they went in. (which of course they were). Thinking there should be some "repeat after me" schpeal going on before letting most of these folks go back there.

Just my observation both agency wise and what I have seen some on public ranges. I truly believe when whoever gives a briefing what some people hear is the Teacher from Charlie Brown talking.

Cause they have that look when you repeat said instructions. Not sure if they were too intimidated to ask questions (when you ask are there any questions? and Do you understand everything?)

Or they are really just that clueless....Maybe a little of both sometimes.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    it happened to me this morning that we had to stop a LEO from going back to the observation deck to load his Glock. He assumed that is why the desk is there as he flagged all of us 2 or 3 times before I noticed and said something. Other lane users were clueless.

i am not trying to antagonize the ignorant here but I see what I see.

Respectfully Trapper . What exactly is your point? You quoted someone's post who asked a question of another post on what PB it specifically was. Which you either can't or elected not to name. But went into a all is wrong with the range response So not sure why you quoted that

Again respectfully but I read what I read

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Respectfully Trapper . What exactly is your point? You quoted someone's post who asked a question of another post on what PB it specifically was. Which you either can't or elected not to name. But went into a all is wrong with the range response So not sure why you quoted that

Again respectfully but I read what I read

This thread pertains to observations of shooters at ranges regarding skill set and safety. I shared a few of mine in hopes of education for the shooting community. Do you have anything helpful to contribute?

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    This thread pertains to observations of shooters at ranges regarding skill set and safety. I shared a few of mine in hopes of education for the shooting community. Do you have anything helpful to contribute?

Again respectfully, I have listed some on this thread but I'm not gonna talk people to death either. My question is why did you feel compelled to quote a person asking a question and simply go on about a story on something not even related to the question the quote.

Not trying to be that guy but if your gonna talk yourself up on awesomeness at least answer the dudes question you quote.somewhere.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Again respectfully, I have listed some on this thread but I'm not gonna talk people to death either. My question is why did you feel compelled to quote a person asking a question and simply go on about a story on something not even related to the question the quote.

Not trying to be that guy but if your gonna talk yourself up on awesomeness at least answer the dudes question you quote.somewhere.

If you are talking about post 568 where I answered 567 with a post based on my experiences with Shooters and RSO's (am one myself) I am confused as to what part you do not understand.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    If you are talking about post 568 where I answered 567 with a post based on my experiences with Shooters and RSO's (am one myself) I am confused as to what part you do not understand.

I believe that's the one. Your rambling about a supposed issue you observed had zero to do with answering WHICH PB the quoted poster asked on a totally different situation.

Top Bottom