RSOs view of the world.. Training or the lack of it :)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I have removed 2 posts from this thread.
    BigT I watching as well.

Fellas you guys are not playing well. TJ has not crossed any lines. Not yet. disagree if you wish. Just stay civil.

TJ. You are not a God among shooters. Remember that. Not everyone is beneath you sir. Ease up OK.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Quit stomping your feet around children!

When you get the town peep-show closed down because you couldn't enjoy it quietly, there _will_ be a mob, and it's not gonna be Crisco and pillow stuffing.
    Those are real pitchforks and torches, and pitch and feathers doesn't cleanup very easy... Scalding water ain't got ****!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Quit stomping your feet around children!

When you get the town peep-show closed down because you couldn't enjoy it quietly, there _will_ be a mob, and it's not gonna be Crisco and pillow stuffing.
    Those are real pitchforks and torches, and pitch and feathers doesn't cleanup very easy... Scalding water ain't got ****!

Yeah I guess everyone is still pouting Darned kids.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Oof. This idiot couldn't even wait until he was on the range to act like a numb nuts.

[video=youtube_share;McXCsB5sM3U]http://youtu.be/McXCsB5sM3U[/video]

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    So....... seen anything like this yet?

http://imgur.com/gallery/TxKoeyb

I was told that one of the "suicides" at Don's guns many years ago was actually a similar situation with a hangfire. I haven't see that at the range but we did have a guy check his M&P to see if there was a squib in the barrel at the carry gun in a similar fashion. He was a "certified" instructor and everyone was stunned by his display. Mag was out of the gun and the slide was locked up but he still looked like an idiot.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach[/FONT]

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Oof. This idiot couldn't even wait until he was on the range to act like a numb nuts.

[video=youtube_share;McXCsB5sM3U]http://youtu.be/McXCsB5sM3U[/video]

Am I the only one that saw his demeanor in the first 3-5 seconds and said "Yep. He's gonna do something stupid. I can tell in his attitude/body language. "?

Vic Z

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    Tacoma
    Great thread.
    Very informative on things not to do.
    Found myself offended a couple of times which resulted in checking my attitude and behavior.
    My first several times at the range were heavily focused on being safe, and learning to operate my equipment in a confident manner.
    Things like uncasing, picking up and setting down my gun. Loading and unloading safely, always aware of which way things were pointed.
    Now I can focus on shooting.
    I also appreciate the posts about don't try to teach the wife. Absolutely great advice.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    And this thread needs to rise to the top again!

Plenty of historical use, but there surely must be new examples of idiots.
    With the influx of new shooters the odds are ever in our favor!

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Not so much about poor safety, although there is some of that here. But which type of gun owner are you?

[video=youtube_share;_3YNQ2a29hI]http://youtu.be/_3YNQ2a29hI[/video]

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    I thought this was an interesting and sweet story that occurred out at the range this weekend.

Dude with his father-in-law brought out his 7 year old daughter to the range. She stood by while dad and grampa did some handgun shooting.

After being patient and completely disinterested in the activities of the adults, dad took his little girl down to the fifty yard range and plopped her down on a bench and put her behind a scoped Marlin 795, or something similar, with a bipod.

He said it was her first time out to the range.

I really wish I had taken a picture of it. She couldn't have been much more than 3 foot-nothin' and weighed as much as a sack of potatoes. Her feet were dangling off the shooting stool at least a foot from the ground.

Dad helped her shoulder up the rifle (A cricket probably would have even been too big for her) and instructed her how to look through the scope.

She couldn't have been getting anywhere near the full-field view through the scope. Her eye was at least eight inches from the rear of it. After a couple of warm-up shots with dad helping her, he stood back and let her go.

She ended up ringing a three inch steel target 9 out of 10 shots at fifty yards. :wow:

Dad was astounded, several folks on the firing line went down to watch her shoot. Lots of congratulations, encouragement and support for this little girl from the folks at the range. She had a HUGE smile on her face!

I hope dad let her have extra ice cream Saturday night.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I thought this was an interesting and sweet story that occurred out at the range this weekend.

Dude with his father-in-law brought out his 7 year old daughter to the range. She stood by while dad and grampa did some handgun shooting.

After being patient and completely disinterested in the activities of the adults, dad took his little girl down to the fifty yard range and plopped her down on a bench and put her behind a scoped Marlin 795, or something similar, with a bipod.

He said it was her first time out to the range.

I really wish I had taken a picture of it. She couldn't have been much more than 3 foot-nothin' and weighed as much as a sack of potatoes. Her feet were dangling off the shooting stool at least a foot from the ground.

Dad helped her shoulder up the rifle (A cricket probably would have even been too big for her) and instructed her how to look through the scope.

She couldn't have been getting anywhere near the full-field view through the scope. Her eye was at least eight inches from the rear of it. After a couple of warm-up shots with dad helping her, he stood back and let her go.

She ended up ringing a three inch steel target 9 out of 10 shots at fifty yards. :wow:

Dad was astounded, several folks on the firing line went down to watch her shoot. Lots of congratulations, encouragement and support for this little girl from the folks at the range. She had a HUGE smile on her face!

I hope dad let her have extra ice cream Saturday night.

That is the best right there.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Can't describe without pics. Been doing more lessons than working in the range lately but things aren't getting any better there. :):

vmGaEpI.jpg

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Lots and lots of newbs!

Lots of folks new to shooting headed out to the range. What really gets me is the level of ego! Too ashamed to ask for help? The sudden realization that shooting a handgun actually takes practice and isn't as easy as the Hollywood fantasy.

Wow, some folks actually bring TWO boxes of ammo to shoot! I understand that everyone has a starting point, but for some reason, a lot of folks seem to think they are going to start off near the top. Maybe they feel they get credit for watching violent movies and playing video games since before their adolescence. When it comes to the rubber meeting the road the skills are definitely lacking and it shows...they know it, and some are really embarrassed by it. Some don't care and just plod on. They don't want any help or advice. Some of those shots actually hit that 24x24 target at 15 yards!

Maybe it is the "don't know what you don't know thing". Maybe I am jaded.

What I see:

-Lots of awkward fumbling with slide locks and charging handles.
    -Not sure what to do with the gun when not shooting it. Action open and muzzle pointed downrange must seem too easy.
    -Magazine reloading is accompanied with lots of complaining. Apparently it is the worst job in the world that compares to anal-warts-researcher or something of the like.
    -7 yards is NOT just for wimps and p*ssies. Missing the target at 15 yards doesn't make anyone more of a man.
    -Claims of not being new to guns, but can't get an AR on paper at 25 yards without a lot of help.
    -Apparently there is a persistent belief that optics come pre-aligned from the factory. Just attach them to the gun and you are good to go. If you can't hit the target it is the fault of the gun!

Top Bottom