• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tuttjs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    Hey guys, quick question. I am thinking of heading over to the Roush Lake shooting range since it is the closest public range I can find near Fort Wayne. Anyways, this will be my first time at the range. I have only shot in my backyard (and the Marine Corps...) since I live out in the country. Would this be a good "starter" range? Any tips on what to do, and not to do?

Also, I have a XDM .45 and a .556 AR-15 - will I be able to shoot both of these at the range?

Thanks,
    Jordan

MMRUSH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    Look up your range on the net and you should find all their rules as well as days open and at what times.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    For outdoor ranges Roush is as good as it gets around FW, especially for the price.

There are others within a reasonable distance. Hillside in Roanoke, Pigeon River in Mongo, there is one in Churubusco and its cheap to get a membership, like $25 a year.

Freedom right off Coliseum in Ft Wayne has a nice indoor range. 556/223 is limited to members only though. Its $200 a year or if you want to pay per trip its like $12/hr or $15 for all day. Both are pretty reasonable for indoor ranges. I more than pay for the $200 yearly fee.

itsgreg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hudson
    been the a few times its great for hand gun or rifles and they have a skeet area best place around for the price. $4 all day

tuttjs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    For outdoor ranges Roush is as good as it gets around FW, especially for the price.

There are others within a reasonable distance. Hillside in Roanoke, Pigeon River in Mongo, there is one in Churubusco and its cheap to get a membership, like $25 a year.

Freedom right off Coliseum in Ft Wayne has a nice indoor range. 556/223 is limited to members only though. Its $200 a year or if you want to pay per trip its like $12/hr or $15 for all day. Both are pretty reasonable for indoor ranges. I more than pay for the $200 yearly fee.

I thought I remember seeing that Freedom doesn't allow .45 caliber on the range. Could be wrong though. It doesn't have a rifle range, correct?

Thanks for the help guys. Any tips for the range?

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I thought I remember seeing that Freedom doesn't allow .45 caliber on the range. Could be wrong though. It doesn't have a rifle range, correct?

I shot about 100 rounds of 45 at Freedom today. Never heard that before. I dont know of any handgun restrictions at all.

As far as rifles, shoot 22 until your hearts content. If you pay the yearly fee you can shoot 556/223. I mean its only like 25yds so its not great for rifle but it sure beats outside when its 12 degrees in January

MrsXtremeVel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Hubby and I commute from the Fort to Roush alot. We really like it there. It's best to get there early as it fills up on the weekends. It's reasonably priced too.

Mike.B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Grant County
    I go at least once a week in the summer. Just went Friday, Saturday and Today. The Range safety officers are nice and are willing to help. Shortest part is 7yrd to the longest of 100yrd. I'll be there this Saturday as well, if you want to fire something just stop over and ask. Just look for the carhartt hat. :yesway:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Going to take mr BIL this weekend as he has a 380 he has never shot. I should be the guy in the OC/CC shirt or at least a colts hat with grey plaid.

Roush is awesome. Have had to step off the line a couple times because of d-bags, but Bob usually sorts them out. Also, not much faster then 1/sec ;)

David Rose

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You can shoot both there. It is a very nice range.

Looking. It's a very nice looking range. It's not the the most usefull range if you want to practice for something other than paper punching. Hillside cost $15 but (if you can be safe) you can fire at a more usefull pace, draw from a holster, and shoot steel targets. To me those are advantages worth 10 times the price.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Hey guys, quick question. I am thinking of heading over to the Roush Lake shooting range since it is the closest public range I can find near Fort Wayne. Anyways, this will be my first time at the range. I have only shot in my backyard (and the Marine Corps...) since I live out in the country. Would this be a good "starter" range? Any tips on what to do, and not to do?

Also, I have a XDM .45 and a .556 AR-15 - will I be able to shoot both of these at the range?

Thanks,
    Jordan

It's absolutely a good starter range. Great for training new shooters (notice the shot up target stands :n00b:).

Bring ear & eye protection, no rapid fire.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I use Roush Lake for the live-fire portion of my NRA Basic Pistol classes, including today (Saturday, June 16.)

Can't use it for other classes, as Roush only allows slow fire, only one target, no moving, and no screaming vocal commands--well, that last one isn't in the range rules, but....

Great place as public ranges go; however Bob, Fred, and Steve cannot, physically, watch everone all at the same time, and there are many instances of, ahem, "creative" gun handling--translate, a substantive portion of the shooters do not employ the basic safe gun handling rules.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne

You can shoot any pistol caliber rifle at Freedom. I often took my Marlin 1894c in .357 there until I joined Ideal in Churubusco (You buy the membership are Tomlinsons, the gunshop on the north side of Busco). Folks short the big pistols there regularly, too.

There is also a very nice shooting range at the Izaak Walton League site just north of the Fort. Very well laid out; excellent shelters for shooting in poor weather conditions; very good personnel on site. A bit expensive, but worth the cash if you use it regularly.

cbowman75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2011
    Marion
    They have a 7,15,25 yard pistol range and 50, 100 yard rifle range and skeet shooting area. You can also rent a skeet thrower from them. 4.00 all day which entails from dawn till dust. It is a very nice range they have a range master on site at all times so it is safe to shoot there. Overall it is a very nice place for the money.

Top Bottom