Red dots on handguns are for play (change my mind)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    I hear they are better for people who have an astigmatism, but am wary about switching to green after using red for so many years (on rifles). I may be worrying about nothing, but I'll probably stick to red.
    I tried a green fiber optic front sight and quickly discovered it was far inferior. That's kind of apples to oranges, but I think I was just used to looking for red, and I felt it stood out better.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I hear they are better for people who have an astigmatism, but am wary about switching to green after using red for so many years (on rifles). I may be worrying about nothing, but I'll probably stick to red.

I also had poor results with the green fiber optic sights vs red. That said my Holosun SCS was only available in green. So far so good. I have yet to spend a lot of time in areas with heavy green backgrounds though. In the sun and green grass, the dot/circle picks up just fine for me though, while the fiber optic did not.

1678252855594.png

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I also had poor results with the green fiber optic sights vs red. That said my Holosun SCS was only available in green. So far so good. I have yet to spend a lot of time in areas with heavy green backgrounds though. In the sun and green grass, the dot/circle picks up just fine for me though, while the fiber optic did not.

View attachment 260856
    Same rig I run, right down to the OEM polymer sights. Replacing those with proper sites is next on my hit list. And for anyone who wonders about the battery and solar charging, I left mine in a safe for a month or more and it lit right up when I pulled it out.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I don't believe that RDS can correct the problems of poor fundamentals. If you are limp-wristing and/or jerking the trigger, the RDS is pointless. Learn to shoot. Then learn to shoot RDS. This is NOT to say that one can't learn to shoot with RDS.

I deem myself fairly proficient with handguns. I do two types of shooting.
    1.) Indoor firing range, fixed position, fixed targets. Most of my shots are taken at 7 yards, or so. I have no problems putting most of 14 rounds of .45 ACP (G21) into a 3" group as quickly as I can pull the trigger.
    2.) Bleach/Fabric Softener/Milk jug thrown on the ground at about 7 yards. Goal is to hit the jug with every shot as it bounces and flies around the yard from each impact. I have never connected with all shots from any one magazine. On a good day, I get about 80-85% hits.
    I don't use RDS, never have, but not ruling them out. I shoot right handed with my left eye, mostly because I am blind in right eye. I do my most accurate shooting when I focus on the front sight; the rear sight and target are indistinct blurs when I am doing this properly. My brand-new P365XL has a cut-out for an RDS that allows co-witness. I may try a cheap RDS someday. I don't think it will help at all with my type of shooting. My biggest problem with RDS is that they make the gun (any gun) butt-ugly.
    And for god's sake please don't get me started on ugly guns. Say, for instance, a 1911 with an RDS, square trigger guard, Picatinny rail, and an arched main-spring housing. Wrong! All wrong! Completely wrong!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    For people who are cross eye dominant, Red Dots are a game changer. I don't have to close an eye, and tilt the pistol to come close to where I want. I can just keep both eyes open, look through the red dot and hit where I want.

So I don't view it as a toy, or for play. I view it as something that helps me be better.
    I'm cross dominant and though when you watch me, you can tell, I don't have to "smudge" my shooting glasses or close one eye or mess around with countless magnification lens combinations to only end up seeing something blurry.

With a dot, I look at the target, present the pistol, see the dot, send it.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    You are correct. They do NOT belong on a cowboy revolver or lever action rifle. That's just wrong.

It may be wrong, but I can hit s*** now, both near and far. Couldn't before. And I may be biased, but I don't think it's totally ugly. Honestly, if it didn't already have a ported barrel, I probably wouldn't have done it. Will be looking for a Skinner site for my Henry Golden Boy.

IMG_2316.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have my dad's Marlin 336 Carbine in 35 rem. I removed the scope from it years ago.

I just can't bring myself to have any kind of optic on it.

Which is dumb. Because I can't hit **** with the original iron sights. But then again, I don't shoot it anyway. It is a safe queen.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    My son-in-law is on Ingo and I didn't think that a red dot would be very quick but he shoots competition out at Marion county fish and game and he says it's very quick once you get used to it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If you shoot it a bit more, the 19 will be kind enough to remove those sights for you.

Really? Have you had this happen?

I have always listened to the "cheap plastic sights" talk and replaced them with Ameriglos. The same as I did on the G19 pictured above.

After using the SCS for some months, I have convinced myself that I might live with stock sights on the next Glock/SCS?

Maybe not, if I can find real world folks who have had issues with the stock sights, beyond rumors?

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I have my dad's Marlin 336 Carbine in 35 rem. I removed the scope from it years ago.

I just can't bring myself to have any kind of optic on it.

Which is dumb. Because I can't hit **** with the original iron sights. But then again, I don't shoot it anyway. It is a safe queen.

Marlin 30aw with Romeo 5 is my absolute deer slayer. Looks a bit goofy, but very effective for me last several seasons

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Really? Have you had this happen?

I have always listened to the "cheap plastic sights" talk and replaced them with Ameriglos. The same as I did on the G19 pictured above.

For years our issued backup handguns were the 27 and then the 26 (when we went to 9mm) with the stock plastic sights. I saw a lot of the sights from those come off at the range. I've also seen more than a couple people find either the front or rear was missing when they got there.

The Gen 5s we have now all have night sights.

ShimmeringTrees

Amish Jack Wagon
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2023
    Indiana
    Shooting a gun is like throwing a baseball, the ball will go where the eyes lay. Ever see the girl shoot an arrow with her feet? Dang straight, she hit the target.

Top Bottom