Red dots on handguns are for play (change my mind)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • loki2014

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2021
    North liberty
    I will posit that everyone is better off buying practice ammo for their edc instead of a red dot.

- good shooters point instinctively within typical self defense range
    - red dots are electronic, consume batteries, and are an additional failure point
    - red dots add weight
    - unless all your pistols have red dots, you have inconsistent sight pictures across arms
    - i personally find them unnatural vs irons, admittedly this is likely a training issue
    - all of these points also apply to lasers

In conclusion i believe red dots are a fad. They look cool and may be a status symbol.

Are the above ideas incorrect or do the pros of red dots outweigh these cons?

Pros:
    Accurate shots in the dark
    yeah i like them for hunting maybe target shooting

loki2014

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2021
    North liberty
    Here is an interesting video on MRDS vs Laser.
    His outcome with the Laser is pretty much my outcome with iron sights.
    His outcome with the MRDS at 15yds, and 25yds is basically what I can do also.
    My problem with the MRDS is under 10yds. That's why I bought the Dagger, and mounted a MRDS on it to learn, and fix my problem. I'm just to slow acquiring the sight fast enough for my liking under 10yds.

yeah would never use a lazer sigh on my hand gun

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Here is an interesting video on MRDS vs Laser.
    His outcome with the Laser is pretty much my outcome with iron sights.
    His outcome with the MRDS at 15yds, and 25yds is basically what I can do also.
    My problem with the MRDS is under 10yds. That's why I bought the Dagger, and mounted a MRDS on it to learn, and fix my problem. I'm just to slow acquiring the sight fast enough for my liking under 10yds.

While I really like Howard’s stuff for the most part, and, if you search his videos you’ll find some about Always Faithful Holsters that I made for him, I really disagree with the use of a laser on a handgun. Two basic reasons, USUALLY a holster doesn’t need modified to run a red dot but, it always requires a new holster for a light/laser. Secondly, and Howard has taught on flashlight usage before, how it needs to be intermittent, yet, with a laser, it does you no good if it is turned off.
    Just me trying to keep all things equal.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I thought my Holosun 509T was big for on top the gun, but this looks bigger. Twice the price also. But I guess it's an RMR...

1691202919329.png

No circle dot reticle option either...

:n00b:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I thought my Holosun 509T was big for on top the gun, but this looks bigger. Twice the price also. But I guess it's an RMR...

View attachment 291103

I still don't think it is as big as those mailbox acro and mps units. I could be interested, but the price, ouch.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I still don't think it is as big as those mailbox acro and mps units. I could be interested, but the price, ouch.
    Nearly identical in size, acro is 1/10” longer, and they trade width and height numbers.
    I thought the acro looked kind of small and hard to see through at first glance, but never been close to one. Larry Vickers had one in a class a few years back.

With a few problems I’ve had with open emitters I might give something like this a shot at some point.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

View attachment 291103

Well considering my RMR I left running and carrying daily on the same battery for 4 years and it's still going strong, it's hard to imagine much else in the market competing.

Being able to change the battery without re-zeroing and not needing to wipe out lint regularly would be a pretty huge plus to something that's already incredible. It also performs much nicer than any of my holosuns under night vision.

I'm going to hold off until they offer it with the ACSS vulcan reticle or similar. It would also be nice if they did a compact footprint.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Well considering my RMR I left running and carrying daily on the same battery for 4 years and it's still going strong, it's hard to imagine much else in the market competing.

Being able to change the battery without re-zeroing and not needing to wipe out lint regularly would be a pretty huge plus to something that's already incredible. It also performs much nicer than any of my holosuns under night vision.

I'm going to hold off until they offer it with the ACSS vulcan reticle or similar. It would also be nice if they did a compact footprint.
    Do you think Trijicon is under any pressure to offer a different reticle?
    I think if they were this would have been the thing to launch it on.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Nearly identical in size, acro is 1/10” longer, and they trade width and height numbers.
    I thought the acro looked kind of small and hard to see through at first glance, but never been close to one. Larry Vickers had one in a class a few years back.

With a few problems I’ve had with open emitters I might give something like this a shot at some point.
    To me one of the drawbacks of the closed emitters is the small window compared to the outside dimension. Now I will say this is not the case with the EPS Carry. It is a compact sight with as much window as the big ones. For me, I don't have need of a enclosed emitter on my full size guns as they see competition use and I typically don't carry a full size anymore. If I was open carrying a full size duty gun it would be totally different.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I love how clean the closed emitter stays. And when it does resemble a need to clean (they are not a catch funnel for dirt, lint and dead skin like open emitters,) they are so simple to clean with just the clothes you are wearing.

That said, there is no getting around the fact that a full-sized pistol grip with a closed emitter RDS is a pain to hide and keep from banging on anything it comes close to.

I'm sure it's easier with appendix carry (that doesn't work for me.) Still though, no getting around how tall a full length grip and closed emitter is.

The protruding square design of closed emitters makes corners and edges where there was nothing before. I'd like to try an EPS MRS on a G19. That might be workable for me?

I love the size and standard iron sight co-witness of my Holosun SCS. As far as concealment and carry, hardly know the pistol is RDS equiped. :twocents:

In other RDS news, rhino put his foot in my ass and promted me to spend some more time at the range.

After a few alone sessions with plate racks and Texas stars, I see (with older eyes,) real potential in becoming a much better shooter than I was with irons. Especially with the dredded star.

Last edited:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I love how clean the closed emitter stays. And when it does resemble a need to clean (they are not a catch funnel for dirt, lint and dead skin like open emitters,) they are so simple to clean with just the clothes you are wearing.

That said, there is no getting around the fact that a full-sized pistol grip with a closed emitter RDS is a pain to hide and keep from banging on anything it comes close to.

I'm sure it's easier with appendix carry (that doesn't work for me.) Still though, no getting around how tall a full length grip and closed emitter is.

The protruding square design of closed emitters makes corners and edges where there was nothing before. I'd like to try an EPS MRS on a G19. That might be workable for me?

I love the size and standard iron sight co-witness of my Holosun SCS. As far as concealment and carry, hardly know the pistol is RDS equiped. :twocents:

In other RDS news, rhino put his foot in my ass and promted me to spend some more time at the range.

After a few alone sessions with plate racks and Texas stars, I see (with older eyes,) real potential in becoming a much better shooter than I was with irons. Especially with the dredded star.

I am only speaking for myself, G19 size with EPS is about as much as I can do appendix. Yes I know Scott and the Tier1 holster guys and so many more carry full size comped blasters with an Acro that way but I don't have the luxury of always dressing like a gun slob. My 365Xl with EPS Carry is about the sweet spot for me. Even so I am getting lower end of acceptable performance, again, by my standards

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I am only speaking for myself, G19 size with EPS is about as much as I can do appendix. Yes I know Scott and the Tier1 holster guys and so many more carry full size comped blasters with an Acro that way but I don't have the luxury of always dressing like a gun slob. My 365Xl with EPS Carry is about the sweet spot for me. Even so I am getting lower end of acceptable performance, again, by my standards

I've found that I can conceal a Glock 45 with an Acro P-2 and spare mag appendix carry under a t-shirt. I put it in my 19 holster kind of fooling around and was surprised how well it disappeared. I did just get a G48 MOS and, as much as it pains me, put an EPS Carry on it (and a TLR-7 Sub) to have something smaller than the 45 or 19 with MPS on it.

Combat_turtle

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2022
    Brazil
    I hear they are better for people who have an astigmatism, but am wary about switching to green after using red for so many years (on rifles). I may be worrying about nothing, but I'll probably stick to red.
    i switched to green on several sites and it helped me drastically. i hated RDS at first cause it was just a blur for me but green its still a little fuzzy but MUCH easier to focus in on. And the greens have become almost as common as the reds now.

Top Bottom