Red dots on handguns are for play (change my mind)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    If God wanted pistols to have red dots he would have put them on his 1911…

TXlAdAe.jpg

JMB would 100% approve of the 2011 IMHO

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'll agree that flashlights are almost mandatory WITH edc. You have to see what you're shooting at.

FIFY. :)

Flashlights are needed when carrying but, to me, should not necessarily be attached to the gun. There are plenty of things that I need to shine a flashlight on that does not need a gun pointed at it. The only place I have an attached light is on my HD pistol. Even then, there’s a standalone flashlight sitting on the nightstand next to it.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    FIFY. :)

Flashlights are needed when carrying but, to me, should not necessarily be attached to the gun. There are plenty of things that I need to shine a flashlight on that does not need a gun pointed at it. The only place I have an attached light is on my HD pistol. Even then, there’s a standalone flashlight sitting on the nightstand next to it.
    Well the whole WML thing is being discussed here

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Thank you for the personal attack :)

I commented on the words in your post. If you think that's a personal attack, then possibly you should revisit your wording? Do you not back up your own words?
    You do understand that your posts are a reflection of yourself, right?

:dunno:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Accurate shots in the dark sounds like a great reason for red dot.
    It made a world of difference in the 30 minutes you have after sunset. Even fiber optic sights go dark without enough light. I hunt in deep woods so it's even darker than it is in a field running up to those last few minutes of the hunt. I can definitely say in a late night home defense or out on the town and being attacked it will definitely be easier to see in those darker times than standard or fiber optic sights.
    I've been adding Night sights go the front sight for acquiring the front sight in darkness.
    The RDS on low setting is much better than even the small glow of the tritium sight.
    With my eyes getting worse with age it just makes it easier to acquire.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    It made a world of difference in the 30 minutes you have after sunset. Even fiber optic sights go dark without enough light. I hunt in deep woods so it's even darker than it is in a field running up to those last few minutes of the hunt. I can definitely say in a late night home defense or out on the town and being attacked it will definitely be easier to see in those darker times than standard or fiber optic sights.
    I've been adding Night sights go the front sight for acquiring the front sight in darkness.
    The RDS on low setting is much better than even the small glow of the tritium sight.
    With my eyes getting worse with age it just makes it easier to acquire.
    I’m not old enough or young enough I guess. Part of being in the Oregon trail generation

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    It's hard to tell if you've shot a rds or if you're just asking for research. If you haven't, try it for yourself and if it works for you, awesome. If not, cool. Why's it matter what others think?

I have several handguns with dots and some without. They're not for all applications but they're great for others, especially accurate first-round hits beyond forty yards. However, they have no place on a cowboy revolver.

If you get one and don't like it the classifieds will fix it for you!

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    I will come right out and say I thought red dots were gimmicky!!! But once I got past my pig headedness and actually tried one…. It stepped up the game immensely. Whether on a carry gun or a range toy it stepped things up. Can they fail?? Sure! On a pistol if you have suppressor height sights no need to worry you’re still on target. On a rifle…. BUIS…. Flip em and get back on the hammer. Battery failure? Yeah and if you let it get that low it’s your fault. So yes red dot sights are a wonderful thing!!!

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I have several handguns with dots and some without. They're not for all applications but they're great for others, especially accurate first-round hits beyond forty yards. However, they have no place on a cowboy revolver.

If you get one and don't like it the classifieds will fix it for you!
    You are correct. They do NOT belong on a cowboy revolver or lever action rifle. That's just wrong.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    They work very well for me. Like others have stated, you must train to use them. Suppressor height sights are a must IMHO. View attachment 260746

I put a Holosun SCS on my G19. It does the dual duty of co-witnessing with stock height sights and rides quite low on the slide.

I like the SCS a lot. Hope other models and brands go this route. It'd be great to get a closed emitter that has a similar profile.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I am old and my eyes are older. Handgun sights are no longer in focus. Many rifle rear sights aren't even visible.

Give me an optic on everything.

Red dots have been around a long time and recent years have seen the size and durability become universally practical. The technology surrounding them will only improve. They are not just a fad.

We have come a long way....

Yep same here , eyesight has gone way downhill in the last decade. If an optic allows me to shoot as well as I did or better when I had 20/20 vision using conventional sights why not use one?

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    For people who are cross eye dominant, Red Dots are a game changer. I don't have to close an eye, and tilt the pistol to come close to where I want. I can just keep both eyes open, look through the red dot and hit where I want.

So I don't view it as a toy, or for play. I view it as something that helps me be better.

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    For people who are cross eye dominant, Red Dots are a game changer. I don't have to close an eye, and tilt the pistol to come close to where I want. I can just keep both eyes open, look through the red dot and hit where I want.

So I don't view it as a toy, or for play. I view it as something that helps me be better.
    I didn't think about being cross eye dominant. That's probably why I'm shooting more accurately with my red dots.

Top Bottom