• ...and so much more!
  • flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Why would you say that? Would the OP not be able to file a complaint or is it that it wouldn't do any good?

I would not assume that anything would happen to the LEO. You can look at the atrocities committed by a small percentage of LEOs who get to continue to do their job unabated. I'm sure nothing would come of the complaint but I would at least want it on record that I believe his actions to be over zealous.

What would YOU have done if you were the LEO?:dunno:
    20/20 armchair commandos abound. If LEO's dp something, people *****. If LEO's don't do something, they *****. Just a bunch of cop bashers. JFC

Bob

terrythegamer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 12, 2011
    Winchester,IN
    I agree and disagree with the police officers reaction. I agree with it because a shotgun in a gas station parking lot could be the start of a robbery or a criminal with a gun and I disagree because there is no law against carrying a long gun in public

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Sure, why the heck would two guys with a shotgun outside a gas station draw attention?

All these "you must demand your rights" "you are sheeple" "you bowed to the cop's illegal instructions"- if you think that I believe you would have steadfastly held onto the shotgun, told the cop to get bent and then brought a lawsuit? Who's naive? Internet commandos indeed.

Look, there are rights, and then there's just dumb. How about meeting in the parking lot of a place where guns are not uncommon- LGS, sporting good store, heck, Walmart? At a certain point, you're inviting the cops to come have a look see.

If you have a gun in your hands and it's your right, why isn't it the cop's right to have a gun in his hand?

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    That's pure fantasy right there bud. Walk up to two "unknowns" handling a gun that is..... (Rule #1). Gauge their reactions while keeping you weapon snapped and safely secured, when their weapon is in hand? So "if" these guys were "bad" guys, who do you think would get off the first shot, if it came to that?
    What do you expect when the vast majority of those people get 100% of their information on how Police work is done from TV and the Internet?
    And we all know that everything on TV and the Internet is accurate and well researched.

Bon jour

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    What do you expect when the vast majority of those people get 100% of their information on how Police work is done from TV and the Internet?
    And we all know that everything on TV and the Internet is accurate and well researched.

Bon jour

Hey now. The show SOUTHLAND kicks butt.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    What would YOU have done if you were the LEO?:dunno:
    20/20 armchair commandos abound. If LEO's dp something, people *****. If LEO's don't do something, they *****. Just a bunch of cop bashers. JFC

Bob

I haven't armchair qb'd anything. You're complaining about armchair qbing but then asking me to do so? :dunno:

LEOs have a tough job, one I wouldn't want to do. I do think you've really hit the nail on the head though. People ***** when LEO's don't do something and I think that's the real problem. They're ridiculed for not stopping crime before it happens so they're forced to make these kinds of decisions. It reinforces the mind set that you don't have to be responsible for your own safety.

Dustzilla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Indy
    I would have done the ftf sale in the parking lot of a gunshop...People expect to see them there. I agree with previous posts about gas stations being a poor choice given how often they are robbed. I always pay at the pump to avoid potential robberies at a gas station...

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    OP either loves the attention or doesn't give a **** about the people around him.

That's the way society works these days, I guess. Sad.

It's perfectly legal to be that way.

I've made trades and sales in parking lots of groceries and gas stations, too. Making an effort to keep from drawing attention is not that hard to do.

I wouldn't have appreciated getting a cop glock pointed at me. I don't trust their trigger discipline. -ZING!

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    New Palestine, IN
    People get really bent when stuff like this happens. Most cops aren't used to seeing this kind of stuff and to them it probably is scary. I would have done what you did, comply... Then I would have respectfully reminded the officer that long guns do not require a permit in the sate of Indiana and that it is not a crime to have a weapon in public, but that you can understand his position given the location.

Empathize then Educate, Respectfully.

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sure, why the heck would two guys with a shotgun outside a gas station draw attention?

All these "you must demand your rights" "you are sheeple" "you bowed to the cop's illegal instructions"- if you think that I believe you would have steadfastly held onto the shotgun, told the cop to get bent and then brought a lawsuit? Who's naive? Internet commandos indeed.

Look, there are rights, and then there's just dumb. How about meeting in the parking lot of a place where guns are not uncommon- LGS, sporting good store, heck, Walmart? At a certain point, you're inviting the cops to come have a look see.

If you have a gun in your hands and it's your right, why isn't it the cop's right to have a gun in his hand?

Yup. All the media needs is for the station to actually have been robbed and the officer responding, "Well, I thought that they were 2 law-abiding citizens exercising their 2nd Amendment rights. What do you mean that two guys with a shotgun and an open trunk in a gas station parking lot aren't normal?"

FatsMcKay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    Let me clear a few things up.

1. In no way was I bashing this cop. This is the first time something like this has ever happened to me. I have done countless deals in this parking lot in the very back behind the store underneath the shade of some large trees.

2. The officer did not aim his weapon at me; he unholstered it.

3. The shotgun was almost completely rusted and pitted, had a cracked stock, and the breech was open.

4. I always see posts like this on INGO and thought I would share my experience in a complete and honest manner and I am open to any criticism or advice for my future deals.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Why would you say that? Would the OP not be able to file a complaint or is it that it wouldn't do any good?

I would not assume that anything would happen to the LEO. You can look at the atrocities committed by a small percentage of LEOs who get to continue to do their job unabated. I'm sure nothing would come of the complaint but I would at least want it on record that I believe his actions to be over zealous.

It's a Rocky Ripple Town Marshall. Probably either the only one or one of 2. Who do you complain to? I guess the few people who make up the town board.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I just now realized that there is an actual place called "Rocky Ripple". :laugh:

I've [STRIKE]heard[/STRIKE] read you guys [STRIKE]saying[/STRIKE] typing it, but though it was just some reference to the cop in the OP. Like a "Barney Fife", "Kojak" or "The Fuzz".
    Who names these towns? It sounds like an ice cream flavor of the month.

I really didn't know. Aint frum roun hear.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled cop bashing. :n00b:

s&wluvr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    LaPorte/Michigan City area
    I have to agree to all of the positive LEO comments above. With all of the Pro & Anti Gun stories in the news, people are skittish. And although the OP technically did nothing illegal, It appears that the officer acted in a professional manner. I have to give him credit for that. This situation has hundreds of "what if's" and I think it was handled very well by all involved.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I just now realized that there is an actual place called "Rocky Ripple". :laugh:

I've [STRIKE]heard[/STRIKE] read you guys [STRIKE]saying[/STRIKE] typing it, but though it was just some reference to the cop in the OP. Like a "Barney Fife", "Kojak" or "The Fuzz".
    Who names these towns? It sounds like an ice cream flavor of the month.

I really didn't know. Aint frum roun hear.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled cop bashing. :n00b:

I thought they were talking about Broad Ripple

Top Bottom