• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I just now realized that there is an actual place called "Rocky Ripple". :laugh:

I've [STRIKE]heard[/STRIKE] read you guys [STRIKE]saying[/STRIKE] typing it, but though it was just some reference to the cop in the OP. Like a "Barney Fife", "Kojak" or "The Fuzz".
    Who names these towns? It sounds like an ice cream flavor of the month.

I really didn't know. Aint frum roun hear.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled cop bashing. :n00b:

Its an area inside of indy that has it's own boundary's. Not unlike Speedway.

Ironhippie

Go Navy
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2013
    Avon
    I dont see anything wrong with the officer being prepared and asking the questions. Put yourself in the officers shoes. If he had not talked to these guys someone else would be complaining that he wasnt doing his job. I mean come on you have two guys in a gas station parking lot handling a shotgun. Their going to get noticed by any reasonable person especially an officer.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Rocky Ripple is Rocky Ripple because it is named for the "rocky ripple" found there. A rocky ripple is a stretch of waterway that is fairly level and filled with field-stone sized rocks, such that the water ripples it's way through the stones. If you were to go there and see the "rocky ripple" that is there , it would immediately make sense. the area is fairly unusual, unusual enough to make you just watch it for a while.

There is also a rocky ripple at Broad Ripple, and it is a wide area of stones. Now I bet you can figure out why that area is called "Broad Ripple"........

dt420

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2012
    NW
    I agree totally with this. The only way the current laws can be enforced is for officers to be proactive just like this. There is no need for new laws but Leo's being proactive like this makes the difference. He didn't take the gun he just checked you guys out. well done for him. I can't help but think it more officers did this on a regular basis things could possibly get a bit better and these gun control freaks could shut up.

I agree totally, and I would even go a step further. If it was up to me, cops wouldnt be allowed to wear a holster, that way they would be forced to confront every single person they come across with their gun in their hand. If the whole country had guns pointed in their faces as they go about their day, crime would drop rapidly.

If we as American citizens had to live with the threat of guns in our faces every day the gun control freaks would shut up. Lets get this done!

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Rocky Ripple is Rocky Ripple because it is named for the "rocky ripple" found there. A rocky ripple is a stretch of waterway that is fairly level and filled with field-stone sized rocks, such that the water ripples it's way through the stones. If you were to go there and see the "rocky ripple" that is there , it would immediately make sense. the area is fairly unusual, unusual enough to make you just watch it for a while.

There is also a rocky ripple at Broad Ripple, and it is a wide area of stones. Now I bet you can figure out why that area is called "Broad Ripple"........

Ohhhhhh -

Are you saying there are places in Indy that are purdy?
    I wouldn't have figured. Never been there myself. Yet.

karatejoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2012
    Greenwood
    Having been an IPD officer for 10 years I would have checked you out also with my gun drawn. Ebay wouldn't matter to me. Once you stated what you were doing, I would relax slightly, maybe run your ID.
    You did the right thing. A Rocky Ripple officer with his gun drawn- do what he says and sort it out later in court. I've never been impressed with that dept.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    I agree totally, and I would even go a step further. If it was up to me, cops wouldnt be allowed to wear a holster, that way they would be forced to confront every single person they come across with their gun in their hand. If the whole country had guns pointed in their faces as they go about their day, crime would drop rapidly.

If we as American citizens had to live with the threat of guns in our faces every day the gun control freaks would shut up. Lets get this done!

Where's the gun parody video where everyone is walking around pointing their guns at everyone else?

HotD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    N/A
    ......A Rocky Ripple officer with his gun drawn- do what he says and sort it out later in court. I've never been impressed with that dept.

That is if you survive the encounter first.

If you aren't impressed, I'm also presuming that you don't trust the judgement of the officers within the department.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    There are so many crazy people in this world, if i were a cop i would be extremely careful in this situation, remain calm, but verify everything is legit and prolly do the same thing. Cops pull someone over for running a stop sign and get shot by the driver, its crazy, and i would be suspicious of everything i think.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    There are so many crazy people in this world, if i were a cop i would be extremely careful in this situation, remain calm, but verify everything is legit and prolly do the same thing. Cops pull someone over for running a stop sign and get shot by the driver, its crazy, and i would be suspicious of everything i think.
    Check out this video from March that was just released.
    Video: Suspect ambushes Ohio police with hail of gunfire

Hoploholic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2012
    NEI
    Drama Queen

It seems like the officer made the encounter much more dramatic than he needed to. Could be he is just excitable, inexperienced or a JBT.

arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel
    Police officers have only one duty, to deliver criminals to the justice system to be judged for injustices committed. Any activity that an officer of the law partakes in beyond that single purpose is completely extracurricular. Further, if an officer of the law uses the force of his badge to aid himself in the course of engaging in this activity, then he is committing a blatant injustice. For what is the meaning of justice, but to objectively administer the law of the land. If laws are not being broken then interference by a law enforcement officer is harassment regardless of extenuating circumstances?

In summary, yes, if an officer of the law sees an event like this unfolding, it is his job to sit and watch from whatever vantage point suits him and become involved only once criminal activities have commenced. The force of the law can only justly be administered after the law has been violated.

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Police officers have only one duty, to deliver criminals to the justice system to be judged for injustices committed. Any activity that an officer of the law partakes in beyond that single purpose is completely extracurricular. Further, if an officer of the law uses the force of his badge to aid himself in the course of engaging in this activity, then he is committing a blatant injustice. For what is the meaning of justice, but to objectively administer the law of the land. If laws are not being broken then interference by a law enforcement officer is harassment regardless of extenuating circumstances.

In summary, yes, if an officer of the law sees an event like this unfolding, it is his job to sit and watch from whatever vantage point suits him and become involved only once criminal activities have commenced. The force of the law can only justly be administered after the law has been violated.

Thats a lot of pretty words. However, I didn't get past the first sentence before I found something that was blatantly false.

HotD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    N/A
    Thats a lot of pretty words. However, I didn't get past the first sentence before I found something that was blatantly false.

Agreed with the blatantly false statement, but I didn't find the word to be particularly attractive.

In Warren and subsequent rulings across the country that cited the same, the court at least ruled that a duty to provide public services is owed to the public at large.

Top Bottom