• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmithGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Just cannot she is being ruin because she said a southern woman used the N word 30 years ago in private. She was asked under oath in a BS law suite from one of her white employees if she had ever used the word. Now she will lose everything.

Paula Deen Fired: Food Network Cancels Show After Racism Scandal

Paula Deen most certainly was not fired for a single use of the N-word in private 30 years ago. She was fired for an obvious and clear pattern of racial insensitivity, some alleged and some proven by video and her own words. The Food Network and Smithfield took all of this into account, I am sure, before they made these big decisions to drop her. They simply did not want her racially insensitive brand to be associated with theirs. This type of thing happens all the time with public figures for a wide variety of reasons.

Here is an example of a video shot a few months before her Food Network firing in which she was clearly extremely racially insensitive.

Paula Deen calls employee 'black as a board' months before Food Network firing - NY Daily News

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    It's not just a 30 year old use of the word. It's more recent uses of it as well as racially charged things she's wanted to do. Like having black staff dress up like old time plantation servants for her brothers wedding and have a themed wedding. It's also use of the word in her restaurants in the present day and reported mistreatment of her staff, black, white and probably hispanic. It's a pattern with her, apparently. Should she lose her livelihood over this? Not really, but she cannot expect there to be no repercussions in today's society. If she was just running her restaurants and it happened it wouldn't have been a big deal. Unfortunately for her, she is the face of a number of products and those companies don't want to be associated with her and her words and outlook. Perception is everything.

The blacks dressing up to serve was just a thought thrown around it never happened. I really cant see a restaurant owner of her stature going in and calling the workers the N word, just because.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    Paula Deen most certainly was not fired for a single use of the N-word in private 30 years ago. She was fired for an obvious and clear pattern of racial insensitivity, some alleged and some proven by video and her own words. The Food Network and Smithfield took all of this into account, I am sure, before they made these big decisions to drop her. They simply did not want her racially insensitive brand to be associated with theirs. This type of thing happens all the time with public figures for a wide variety of reasons.

Here is an example of a video shot a few months before her Food Network firing in which she was clearly extremely racially insensitive.

Paula Deen calls employee 'black as a board' months before Food Network firing - NY Daily News

Sorry can not agree with you...I am assuming you have never lived in the south, calling a black person as black as a board is common place...pitch black, like calling a white person as white as a painted fence. Slavery happened, it is part of our history. She is describing how things were...do you think it is alright for a rapper to yell white c**t out over the radio today.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    This ... I would also like to add she's accused of paying whites more than their black counterparts .... Workplace racial discrimination is workplace racial discrminiation

That should be easy to prove...but remember it is ok to pay men more than woman for the same job....wonder how many people will lose their jobs?

SmithGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Sorry can not agree with you...I am assuming you have never lived in the south, calling a black person as black as a board is common place...pitch black, like calling a white person as white as a painted fence. Slavery happened, it is part of our history. She is describing how things were...do you think it is alright for a rapper to yell white c**t out over the radio today.

I was actually born in the south and I can tell you I have seen far worse racism than Paula Deen probably ever said. In fact, the doctors office in the small town where my grandmother lives still had segregated waiting rooms as late as 1995. Both black people and white people went along with it and nobody raised a fuss. That did not make it right, however, and it needed to be stopped because it was dehumanizing to all races. Because there are a still a lot of people insensitive to racial issues does not make racial insensitivity right in any way, shape, or form.

I agree slavery and racism are part of our history, but we as a society have supposedly learned our lessons and we should strive not to repeat our mistakes. Attitudes like Paula Deen's tend to prevent us from moving forward in society, and as such are generally frowned upon in the public eye. Most of us do seem to tolerate some amount of racial insensitivity without raising a fuss. In the public eye, however, celebrities are generally not allowed such leeway.

And no it is not right for one race to be racist and another race to get a free pass. Racism is racism and it has no place in today's multicultural and diverse society.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    And yet it's okay for rappers to use it in every single song and for thugs to say it on the street to one another...

... If it is so offensive for a person of a different race to say it, why is it normal for one racial group to use it...

It is too easy to use this argument. Consider this: When one group uses a derogatory term(s) when addressing or describing another group, it is used to demean and/or incite. A regional acceptance of use of certain words by one group does not mean it is acceptable by the other even if its use is not intended to incite.

This applies to any number of groups as we see in the frequency of LEO bashing, CC/OC "debate" threads or antis taking a swing at the pros. Sensitivity to terms will vary by individual, group, region, history and intent.

This particular example is a hot button issue and being in the public eye, she should have been aware and known better.

...do you think it is alright for a rapper to yell white c**t out over the radio today.

No I do not and for the same reason I stated above. In addition, it is vulgar. I have no need for these words in my vocabulary.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    This ... I would also like to add she's accused of paying whites more than their black counterparts .... Workplace racial discrimination is workplace racial discrminiation

So what? Voluntary transactions have no business being regulated by the feds, or the states for that matter, excepting what behaviors constitute fraud or thievery. Discrimination should not be criminal.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Quite frankly I could care less what words she used. Didn't anyone ever hear the "sticks and stones" rhyme when they were a kid? I personally know some people who despise the black race yet they never use that term. I know other people who use it frequently and have close friends of ALL races. We need to stop worrying about words and worry more about actions. I agree that it is a distasteful word and I can see how some people may find it offensive. Who are we going to be more concerned about? The guy that's mute and can't speak a word yet attends Klan rallies and burns crosses in peoples' yards or the woman that uses every derogatory racial term in existence yet donates her free time to volunteer for minority groups? I am in no way saying it's ok to use that word, but actions show hate and hostility far more than any word can.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    I have more of a huge problem with Paula Deen for cutting a deal with NovoNordisk to hock their insulin products and insulin pens while continuing to host a nationally-televised cooking show using copious - if not wholly excessive - amounts of butter, lard, and sugar. Caveat emptor, but I have no love or tolerance or patience for the woman.

That said, no matter how despicable the speech, her mouth is her own, no one else's. Since she doesn't represent what anyone else thinks, the taking of umbrage is fine, but I thought the elimination of public lynch mobs and persecution by those angry mobs was exactly why the civil rights movement was fought.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    So what? Voluntary transactions have no business being regulated by the feds, or the states for that matter, excepting what behaviors constitute fraud or thievery. Discrimination should not be criminal.

One can be sued without commiting a crime :dunno:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    She didn't pay off Jesse or Al. She should have donated to their groups and they would have publicly forgiven her and she could have avoided all of this.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The wife had one of those entertainment shows on yesterday and Paula came up. The Hispanic girl said she uses the word all the time with her black friends, the black girl singer (sierra?), apparently has songs that feature the word repeatedly. They had one young white feller. He looked like a deer in the headlights. He was afraid to say anything at all. That makes me think, this whole thing is screwy.

Top Bottom