• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Managing Confrontations is a relatively complex class with a relatively simple goal. We want you to understand the entire situation leading up to the start of a fight. Many places can teach you to fight and we offer other classes on how to use weapons. Very few people teach anything about the time between “everything’s fine” to the start of an attack.

A significant part of Managing Confrontations is the Managing Unknown Contacts (MUC) framework developed by Craig Douglas at Shivworks. This module is included with Craig’s permission because there is no better method to handle the initial interaction with an unknown person. Much other previous work has also been included and references to original contributors will be made during class where appropriate.
    We will slowly build our framework by teaching a portion then integrating it in live scenarios. Piece by piece we will increase your ability to deal with stress, observation, and decision-making. Eventually the process of understanding the interaction and pre-fight phase of the fight will become second nature and automatic leaving you free to make decisions on what to do next.

Finally, we’ve added a module covering the basics of the types of combatives likely to be encountered in a fight. There will not be any belts discussed and this won’t be techniques that require years of practice to master. These are the fundamental basics for interacting with another person during a fight. There are no style points, and it will not be pretty. We cover some points on striking to close distance. We cover the standing clinch portion in great detail as most fights are won or lost here. We then cover fundamentals of ground fighting and what you need to know. This information has been around for centuries and the lessons learned here are found in every martial art around the world. We will keep what is needed, remove the fluff and style, and present it in an easy to understand concise way. You will be given opportunities to pressure test the material if you so choose.

I’ve said before if I could only share one piece of the puzzle I’ve learned over my years of training, it would be this material. I honestly use this material every single week, often multiple times. It can be used on everyone from coworkers to panhandlers and muggers to ski-masked murderers. Understand how criminals operate, break their pattern, and stay ahead of the curve.

This class is designed for both men and women. Children 14+ are common students and encouraged to attend. If you have questions about a family member attending, please contact the instructors below. The class will be active, but only lightly physical with the ability to do more or less as you choose.

Topics Covered

• Criminal Assault Indicators
    • Mentality of an Attacker
    • Ways to Maintain Awareness Without Being Paranoid
    • Mobility is Everything
    • Schematic for How Fights Take Place
    • When and How Weapons Come into Play
    • Avoiding the Legal Aftermath
    • Key Points of Striking, Clinching, and Ground Fighting
    • Much, Much More

To Sign up and more Info go Here.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Agreed on both. How is your jits coming along? Up to iCP level yet?

Hah! Hardly iCP level. I'm improving though. Some days it feels like I've gone backwards and some days I feel like I'm a lot better. I only go two days a week and miss class a bit due to work. So I don't improve as quickly as if I went several days a week consistently. I'm improving though and most importantly, I just enjoy the process.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    If you need a commentator or a demo dummy I can try to make time to come out. I'm certainly no iCP, but would be happy to try to fill the role if needed.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    The official unofficial lunchtime mini class for this day of Managing Confrontations is going to be a condensed version of our upcoming Appendix carry workshop. This will be dry work only. If you are interested in Appendix carry and would like to learn how to do it safely and comfortably be prepared to stay at Parabellum for lunch.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    The official unofficial lunchtime mini class for this day of Managing Confrontations is going to be a condensed version of our upcoming Appendix carry workshop. This will be dry work only. If you are interested in Appendix carry and would like to learn how to do it safely and comfortably be prepared to stay at Parabellum for lunch.
    Dammit! That sounds fun. Any dates on the full workshop?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Well I think anyone who messes with your wife in the first place is not too smart, but do you have any details you want to share.

Almost stereotypical from what she told me.

She was getting gas (don't remember where, but I think it was near Perry Meridian HS) while at the same time dealing with the booger eaters in the back of the van.

She noticed a guy noticing her... So she got herself completely out of the van (vs half in/half out talking to kids) and locked the doors.

Guy walked by once... Then as came back out to walk by again, he began to approach her. As soon as he deviated his line towards her, she told him to buzz off.

That was that - all went separate ways.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Its pretty cool that she noticed, and got herself into a better position. I interrupted two guys aggressively panhandling a woman yesterday at Lowes. This stuff happens all over.

Just a tip to anyone considering this one. This has sold out early the last three times we've done this one in Indy. That doesn't mean this one will automatically, but we had people last time who couldn't get a spot because they waited.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    This is a great class with material that many (most? all?) will actually use. You've heard me saying that for a while now. Go to this class or one like it. If you care about someone, bring him/her/them with you.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Its pretty cool that she noticed, and got herself into a better position. I interrupted two guys aggressively panhandling a woman yesterday at Lowes. This stuff happens all over.

Just a tip to anyone considering this one. This has sold out early the last three times we've done this one in Indy. That doesn't mean this one will automatically, but we had people last time who couldn't get a spot because they waited.

Having already taken the class twice, I don't want to take up a spot someone else could use. If I can swing by during the lunch portion, I can help debunk the "fat guys can't carry AIWB" myth. :)

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Having already taken the class twice, I don't want to take up a spot someone else could use. If I can swing by during the lunch portion, I can help debunk the "fat guys can't carry AIWB" myth. :)

I was actually going to suggest that. Not the "fat" part, just the part about coming by to work on the AIWB material.

Jeepcrazed

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 25, 2011
    I would love to take it again, and my boy meets the minimum age for the class now. I will check our schedules to see if it works.

Top Bottom