• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I can't add to the conversation about killing it, but I once stripped a whole mess of it off a tree without realizing and I bundled it all up and bear hug walked it to the trash can. It got everywhere on my body. And I mean EVERYWHERE!

I was covered head to toe for more than week. It was awful. The only thing that would relieve the itch was a scalding hot shower. And that only worked for a few minutes.
    At least you did not help your grandfather gather it(and all the brush) from a fence line and burn it...making sure your young dumb self breathed in the smoke.

I was in the hospital for 6 days with poison ivy in my lungs(was 9-10 at the time)and covering most of my body.

I did acquire immunity from it though. I can roll in it ever since and not get even a bump on my skin.

Last edited:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    At least you did not help your grandfather gather it(and all the brush) from a fence line and burn it...making sure your young dumb self breathed in the smoke.

I was in the hospital for 6 days with poison ivy in my lungs(was 9-10 at the time)and covering most of my body.

I did acquire immunity from it though. I can roll in it ever since and not get even a bump on my skin.
    Yeah, burning it is bad. I've heard of people dying from breathing the smoke. Very rare with proper medical treatment, but it has happened.

Chalky

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2019
    Central IN
    Yup, burning is bad. When I was a kid my eyes swelled shut, Dr. said someone must have burned poison ivy or oak since it was mostly on/in mouth and eyes. I then remembered a neighbor having there burn barrel going and the awful smoke smell a day or two before the symptoms. Was a miserable week or so. Still remember getting that shot, think it was cortisone, felt almost immediate relief.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Yup, burning is bad. When I was a kid my eyes swelled shut, Dr. said someone must have burned poison ivy or oak since it was mostly on/in mouth and eyes. I then remembered a neighbor having there burn barrel going and the awful smoke smell a day or two before the symptoms. Was a miserable week or so. Still remember getting that shot, think it was cortisone, felt almost immediate relief.
    Been there once as a kid.. awful.. in nose, mouth, eyes.
    I get it so bad that I was servicing an ac unit and didn’t know it was growing up a wall behind me. It was a hot day and had my backside shoved in it... welts all over my back and backside and wherever the sweat ran it did too. That was a trip to the dr. I found out running as hot as water as I could stand on it drew helped too.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    My father in law is an old-time farmer. He uses a high concentration mixture of Glyphosate (generic for Round Up and a lot cheaper). It kills everything.
    The key thing to remember is that it takes 10 days to even start to see results (especially on the tough stuff) and it can be three weeks before the plant is dead. Often people have chalked it off by that point as not being effective.

As others have said it's a post emergent so new plants will grow. It's also nasty stuff I try to use very sparingly.

I think Round-Up puts in stuff to wilt the plant quickly so consumers don't get impatient before the Glyphosate begins to work.

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    Poison Ivy/oak has slick leaves. If the chemical calls for so much added per gallon of water add the same amount of dish soap. It will make the chemical cling to the plant better.
    I use lemon scented Ajax. You'll find citrus essential oils in organic mosquito sprays

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Poison Ivy/oak has slick leaves. If the chemical calls for so much added per gallon of water add the same amount of dish soap. It will make the chemical cling to the plant better.
    I use lemon scented Ajax. You'll find citrus essential oils in organic mosquito sprays
    Surfactants are often sold in the same places as herbicides. Non-ionic surfactants make most water-based herbicides work better so you use less.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Creeping charlie, wild violets, poison ivy, bindweed, small mulberry or other nuisance trees can all be killed by Triclopyr without killing your grass. Somebody mentioned Crossbow as an option. That's Triclopyr and 2,4-D premixed as a concentrate.

Like Tordon, Triclopyr can kill your shrubs, small trees and woody perennials via root absorption so be careful about the application of it.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    71pxPEcVsdL._AC_SS450_.jpg

I spray around my barn & pond with this stuff twice a year, in late spring and late summer; in fact its due for it after I mow next.

It takes 3-4 weeks to kill poison ivy, but it does...and it really stunts future growth. Doesn't really hurt grass either, can yellow it a bit if applied heavily (I mix mine pretty strong) but won't kill it.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    71pxPEcVsdL._AC_SS450_.jpg

I spray around my barn & pond with this stuff twice a year, in late spring and late summer; in fact its due for it after I mow next.

It takes 3-4 weeks to kill poison ivy, but it does...and it really stunts future growth. Doesn't really hurt grass either, can yellow it a bit if applied heavily (I mix mine pretty strong) but won't kill it.
    Active ingredient is Triclopyr. ;)

Top Bottom