• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just remember, roundup will kill everything.
    As suggested 2-4d will just kill broadleaves but I don’t know what the consumer grade product is called. 2-4d will be listed as an ingredient. It will kill flowers, tomatoes, etc.

If you’re exposed to the oil, Technu soap is great. The sooner the better. And use cool water, hot water can spread it worse.

The worst case of poison ivy I ever got was in February. Installing a drainage outlet pipe in a ditch, apparently a root rubbed my arm and those oils are strong!
    Even better because we more likely have this in our house: Dawn dish soap.

As soon as you know you have been exposed smear full strength Dawn on the area like a lotion. Let it sit for several minutes then rinse it off with cool water. Since it’s an oil, Dawn cleans it off incredibly well.

I did this when my young son went for a walk through grandmas infestation in shorts. Only the slightest reaction. And I think I missed that spot.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I never seem to be affected by poison ivy either. Poison Sumac on the other hand, ouch.
    You may not be as lucky as you think.
    I've read that people with little to no reaction to poison ivy/sumac... have an immune system deficiency.
    Supposedly, the stronger reaction to the oils indicates a more robust immune system.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    Another vote for Crossbow over straight glysophate.

In general:
    Glysophate is strongest on grasses ( narrow leaf plants ). Works on most broadleafs but weak on some.
    2-4D, dicamba, etc. are broadleaf killers
    2-4D can be very volatile. Drift, translocation under certain conditions can easily kill wanted vegetation (flowers, etc)
    Tank mix both for a more broad spectrum product
    Glysophate can be “tied up” by minerals in hard water. Additives available to counter-act
    Surfactants, crop oils, etc. make the solution applied “stickier“
    Apply to dry foliage. Wait to apply if rain is imminent
    Tordon, brush killers work best on woody plants

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I am one of the lucky people that seem to be immune to PI, I have never had it. Must be genetics because I remember when I was a kid watching my grandfather barehanded with a set of side cuts getting it off fence posts. I never remember him getting it either. I have done the same thing when I find it growing around the property. Now I am not stupid, I clean up right after and wash the clothes I was wearing and so far so good. Jim.
    Be careful, I read that even if you are immune, you can LOSE YOUR IMMUNITY if you are exposed to too much PI. I know this for a fact, as my nephew USED to be immune. I had him clearing out fence rows all summer, and by the end of summer, he was starting to get a reaction to the PI.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have to keep applying product to kill poison ivy. It seems to be pretty hardy. It grows where my English Ivy grows. I really want to get rid of all of it and put down some bark mulch or something.

The other thing that's tough to kill is the will violet that grows in my yard. I hit it with weed killer, the leaves curl up for a couple weeks, and then they open back up. I have managed to cut down slightly on the amount I have in the yard, but not much.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Be careful, I read that even if you are immune, you can LOSE YOUR IMMUNITY if you are exposed to too much PI. I know this for a fact, as my nephew USED to be immune. I had him clearing out fence rows all summer, and by the end of summer, he was starting to get a reaction to the PI.
    I'll vouch for this. When I was a young kid I was immune. Then one time at a church picnic, some of us kids came across a big patch. I was trying to impress a girl and was bragging that I was immune and grabbed up a big handful and started rubbing it up and down my arms. Big mistake! A few hours later I had 1/4" high blisters bubbling up all over my arms. That sucked! I'm still not highly allergic, but I avoid it whenever possible.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'll vouch for this. When I was a young kid I was immune. Then one time at a church picnic, some of us kids came across a big patch. I was trying to impress a girl and was bragging that I was immune and grabbed up a big handful and started rubbing it up and down my arms. Big mistake! A few hours later I had 1/4" high blisters bubbling up all over my arms. That sucked! I'm still not highly allergic, but I avoid it whenever possible.
    I too seemed to be immune to it when I was younger. Or I just cleaned up real good after exposure. We used Fels-Naphtha back then.

But one day I was clearing our lot with a string trimmer blowing through that stuff with abandon. I got it real bad. Now it seems like I look at it and I break out.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Take a bottle cap and mix whatever killer you use and with gloves pull the vine and put the end of the vine in it. Vine sucks up the roundup and it will go to the entire vine.. pi will drop and root itself and this way you don’t have to try to pull it everywhere and still have it growing

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    I've heard, never tried myself, but a good concentration of Dawn or any dish washing detergent mixed in a spray bottle will kill poison ivy, plus it's relatively safe around kids and pets. You'll have to find the mix ratio.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    The other thing that's tough to kill is the will violet that grows in my yard. I hit it with weed killer, the leaves curl up for a couple weeks, and then they open back up. I have managed to cut down slightly on the amount I have in the yard, but not much.
    Why would you want to? They are great plants. But if you want to have less, just eat them. All parts are full of vitamins A and C. Once you start wanting them to grow for food, they will surely fade away.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    How do you prepare them? I've got a crap ton of them too.
    I don’t mind a little but it will take over your yard and it is hard to kill control. It and the creeping Charlie just laugh at most stuff. I bought this stuff on Amazon and I also use triplet herbicide
    Ugh. Creeping Charlie is the bane of my existence. It gets everywhere!
    I just tried the tzone and it started wilting the creeping Charlie within a few hours.. that was yesterday.. quicker reaction than anything so far. Trying it in the yard tonight on the violets.. I’ve got both in some places so heavy there’s very little grass. The triplet works great on most weeds and I buy it at a co-op it’s much more on Amazon but available

Top Bottom