• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don’t mind a little but it will take over your yard and it is hard to kill control. It and the creeping Charlie just laugh at most stuff. I bought this stuff on Amazon and I also use triplet herbicide

I just tried the tzone and it started wilting the creeping Charlie within a few hours.. that was yesterday.. quicker reaction than anything so far. Trying it in the yard tonight on the violets.. I’ve got both in some places so heavy there’s very little grass. The triplet works great on most weeds and I buy it at a co-op it’s much more on Amazon but available
    Maybe I'll try the tzone this fall. There are some areas of my yard like you describe. If I kill the creeping charlie, I'll need to put down grass seed.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I don’t mind a little but it will take over your yard and it is hard to kill control. It and the creeping Charlie just laugh at most stuff. I bought this stuff on Amazon and I also use triplet herbicide

I just tried the tzone and it started wilting the creeping Charlie within a few hours.. that was yesterday.. quicker reaction than anything so far. Trying it in the yard tonight on the violets.. I’ve got both in some places so heavy there’s very little grass. The triplet works great on most weeds and I buy it at a co-op it’s much more on Amazon but available
    Let me know how it works. I have sections that are mostly wild violet. I'd really like to get rid of it.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    So I just read that killing them in spring usually results in just killing the leaves, allowing the plant to rebound. This is what happens with mine.

It is suggested to kill in the fall. So, I'll do both I guess.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I too seemed to be immune to it when I was younger... But one day I was clearing our lot with a string trimmer blowing through that stuff with abandon. I got it real bad. Now it seems like I look at it and I break out.
    Same here.

I could roll in the stuff until I was in my 30s.

Since then I get it all the time. Mostly when I cut firewood, which is a lot.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    You may not be as lucky as you think.
    I've read that people with little to no reaction to poison ivy/sumac... have an immune system deficiency.
    Supposedly, the stronger reaction to the oils indicates a more robust immune system.
    Not sure on that. It causes an allergic reaction, same as bee stings. Some people are less sensitive, and it will require greater exposure before a person becomes allergic. I've never had a reaction yet, but I figure I probably will sooner or later so I try to avoid it. My B-i-L never had a reaction either, until he did and it was bad.
    Yes they are. Here are both together in my yard for comparison.

View attachment 200694

And this gets mowed, so the leaves on the violets aren't as big as they get if they're in flower beds and left alone.
    Violets leaves are also more heart shaped and have a more jagged "sawtooth" edge, creeping charlie has rounder more scalloped edges.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've always heard, "leaves of three, let it be"
    Most all of the "poison" plants, ivy/oak/sumac...all have clusters of three leaves.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Not sure on that. It causes an allergic reaction, same as bee stings. Some people are less sensitive, and it will require greater exposure before a person becomes allergic. I've never had a reaction yet, but I figure I probably will sooner or later so I try to avoid it. My B-i-L never had a reaction either, until he did and it was bad.

Violets leaves are also more heart shaped and have a more jagged "sawtooth" edge, creeping charlie has rounder more scalloped edges.
    Charlie the creeper is a vine and will drop a root just like ivy... then spread and over and over. Many new plants will grow from one and as long as the root is there it grows again

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Charlie the creeper is a vine and will drop a root just like ivy... then spread and over and over. Many new plants will grow from one and as long as the root is there it grows again
    Creeping charlie's only redeeming quality is that if it's in a flower bed, forming a "mat", it gives great satisfaction in grabbing a handful and pulling up a huge area in just one grab. But yeah, it will be back.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I really appreciate all the advice. I have a pal coming over who is not affected by it. I have some tordon I'm going to have him apply some once it gets ripped up to try and kill it. I might get some of the 2-4d stuff as well to soak the ground. I'm two steps away from salting the earth so nothing ever grows again.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I really appreciate all the advice. I have a pal coming over who is not affected by it. I have some tordon I'm going to have him apply some once it gets ripped up to try and kill it. I might get some of the 2-4d stuff as well to soak the ground. I'm two steps away from salting the earth so nothing ever grows again.
    just pave it and paint it green.

Top Bottom