• ...and so much more!
  • fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    My backyard, side yards and the back/west wall of my house is being taking over by poison ivy and it's more successful than a Russian Ukraine take over.

Weed killer marked as poison ivy killer kills all but the poison ivy.

How do I rid my life of this plant that makes me itchy to look at and if I touch it I look like a burn victim?

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Any friends with goats?

If not, I have used a lot of Drexel Imitator Plus from Rural King (way cheaper than roundup) with good success. I have around 3 acres that had been neglected for several years & some had taken over various areas.

It doesn't turn brown & crispy as fast as the nuclear powered roundup but still just as dead after a week or 2. Follow up treatment in 2-3 weeks for the survivors.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ive had EXCELLENT luck with Tordon RTU. Its in the farm chemical section of Tractor Supply. $35/qt but will last forever. You cut the vine and apply a coulple drops to the cut end. It is absorbed in and kills the whole damn thing.

Just be careful. I understand its ground activated and if is absorbed into the root system of a tree can kill it. So dont just spray it willy-nilly.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I am trying to deal with a thistle problem right now, just as hard or harder to eradicate than PI.
    Lontrel works really well on thistle, especially if you get it just before flowering.

How about asian honeysuckle?
    Does Roundup work on that?
    Best if you put 50% roundup on the cut stump. Must be applied within 10 minutes of cutting or it won't work. And move the cut stems out or they will re-root.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The generic roundup I buy is concentrate, I mix it thicker for hard to kill stuff like PI. Works on everything I have tried. I typically go through a couple of gallons of concentrate each season.
    This is what I use. Kills everything in the gravel drive, on the edges and in the thistle patch next door. Our local forester educated me on using surfactant with glyphosate to noticeably improve it's performance. I squirt +/- 2 tbs of Dawn, 6oz 41% glyphosate into a two gallon pump sprayer...

1652665096538.png

I normally buy this by the gallon at Menards. I'm concerned that the price has doubled since last purchase. :xmad:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I can't add to the conversation about killing it, but I once stripped a whole mess of it off a tree without realizing and I bundled it all up and bear hug walked it to the trash can. It got everywhere on my body. And I mean EVERYWHERE!

I was covered head to toe for more than week. It was awful. The only thing that would relieve the itch was a scalding hot shower. And that only worked for a few minutes.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    My backyard, side yards and the back/west wall of my house is being taking over by poison ivy and it's more successful than a Russian Ukraine take over.

Weed killer marked as poison ivy killer kills all but the poison ivy.

How do I rid my life of this plant that makes me itchy to look at and if I touch it I look like a burn victim?
    Just remember, roundup will kill everything.
    As suggested 2-4d will just kill broadleaves but I don’t know what the consumer grade product is called. 2-4d will be listed as an ingredient. It will kill flowers, tomatoes, etc.

If you’re exposed to the oil, Technu soap is great. The sooner the better. And use cool water, hot water can spread it worse.

The worst case of poison ivy I ever got was in February. Installing a drainage outlet pipe in a ditch, apparently a root rubbed my arm and those oils are strong!

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Just remember, roundup will kill everything.
    As suggested 2-4d will just kill broadleaves but I don’t know what the consumer grade product is called. 2-4d will be listed as an ingredient. It will kill flowers, tomatoes, etc.

If you’re exposed to the oil, Technu soap is great. The sooner the better. And use cool water, hot water can spread it worse.

The worst case of poison ivy I ever got was in February. Installing a drainage outlet pipe in a ditch, apparently a root rubbed my arm and those oils are strong!
    I wonder what I need to do to get the commercial grade ****. I need someone with a to y plane to just crop dust my hole yard....not in the Indy 1500 way lol

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I am one of the lucky people that seem to be immune to PI, I have never had it. Must be genetics because I remember when I was a kid watching my grandfather barehanded with a set of side cuts getting it off fence posts. I never remember him getting it either. I have done the same thing when I find it growing around the property. Now I am not stupid, I clean up right after and wash the clothes I was wearing and so far so good. Jim.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I wonder what I need to do to get the commercial grade ****. I need someone with a to y plane to just crop dust my hole yard....not in the Indy 1500 way lol
    Actually shouldn’t be hard to find…
    ^link to Walmart selling 2-4d
    TSC, Rural king, etc should have it.
    Might be just called amine.

Crossbow is another similar thing, does a better job of killing woody brush, will kill large mulberry trees in a fence row but may take a few years. Kills small brush as as well as broadleaves. Available at tsc.

Top Bottom