• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I’m taking the car to Allen’s s Diamond Collision tomorrow, but I think the hand writing’s on the wall.
    The adjuster who came by to see the Subi thought it probably would be totaled.
    He couldn’t get the doors open to check on some type of inner steel pillar, that if it’s bent it’s a goner.
    Bummer!
    he said he saw it had new Michelin tires on it and there wasn’t a scratch on it.
    I think I mentioned this early on in the thread. The b-pillar in these subies crush, pulling in part of the floor pan too. You’d be looking at both doors, inner and outer aperture panels and maybe portion of the floor plus putting on the rack and straightening the body up.

Sorry man.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Any differerence in brands with part issues?

Nieghbor lady had a helluva time getting her Hyundai fixed a few months ago. Parts issues in the warm weather.
    No. The Koreans are not doing too bad as long as they are OE parts. Not many delays with them the last 6 months. BMW/mini is tough. Ford is as well. GM isn’t doing too bad but the newer the car the harder it seems to be.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I know!
    I'll probably end up having to buy a new car since I'm not paying $15K for a car with 100k miles on it, especially with these compromised CVT trannies that don't hold up sometimes for even 110k miles.
    My daughter in law bought a new car last fall, some sort of toyota suv, really nice vehicle. Anyway, they had nothing on the lot for sale, but they gave her a list of vehicles that would be coming to them soon, and she chose one of those and “bought” it before someone else could grab it.

It took about two weeks and she had possession of it. It’s not the traditional way to buy a new car, but it is doable.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I know!
    I'll probably end up having to buy a new car since I'm not paying $15K for a car with 100k miles on it, especially with these compromised CVT trannies that don't hold up sometimes for even 110k miles.
    I'm pretty certain your Forester has the CVT as well.
    I think you have to look pre 2014 to find a non CVT one. Hopefully you won't have to, but if so there are some low mileage older ones available.

Glad no one was hurt. Good luck.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I think you have to look pre 2014 to find a non CVT one. Hopefully you won't have to, but if so there are some low mileage older ones available.

'13 actually.
    Many modern CV's don't remind you that they are CVT's. The wife's new Seltos feels like a normal trans for 90% of its operation. The other 10% it is a little off. This is the polar opposite of the civic CVT that feels like a cvt 90% of the time.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I think I mentioned this early on in the thread. The b-pillar in these subies crush, pulling in part of the floor pan too. You’d be looking at both doors, inner and outer aperture panels and maybe portion of the floor plus putting on the rack and straightening the body up.

Sorry man.
    The adjuster said something about an inner beam that was a high-strength steel that connects with the roof, & if it was bent, it's a goner.
    I assume that's the "b-pillar" you speak of.
    Since I dropped off the Subi at Allen's Diamond Collision this am, I'm w aiting word on that hopefully tomorrow or it will probably be Monday, I assume.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    '13 actually.
    Many modern CV's don't remind you that they are CVT's. The wife's new Seltos feels like a normal trans for 90% of its operation. The other 10% it is a little off. This is the polar opposite of the civic CVT that feels like a cvt 90% of the time.
    The 2015 Subaru Forester had the first CVT I've ever owned, & I hate it.
    No power/acceleration at all.
    The CVTs don't seem to hold up like a regular tranny.
    What irritates me is that you can't change out the tranny oil before 120,000 or you void the warranty.
    No oil is that good.
    I've done a search from mechanics talking about the CVT & sometimes they go out before even
    50K miles.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

Right.
    My 2015 having one lead me to doing research on CVT, & it was depressing.
    1 giant leap ahead for auto manufacturers & 2 steps backwards for consumers. :lmfao:

CallSign Snafu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 3, 2015
    Indy
    Right.
    1 giant leap ahead for auto manufacturers & 2 steps backwards for consumers. :lmfao:
    This is why the last car for me and the last car for Mrs. Snafu are both Mazda's. Mazda does not use cvt transmissions.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Right.
    Some yes. Nissan and Honda ruined them for the masses. Much like gm did diesel engines in the 80’s. There are good ones out there that feel more normal. Wife’s car is about 3k lbs with 148hp and it feels much stronger. The 7 preset gears feels normal and the fuel economy for something this square is great.

CallSign Snafu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 3, 2015
    Indy
    I have a 2016 6 and a 2022 CX 30, I like both of them. Both drive great. With the CX-30 you have to be a little careful because the windows aren't huge so you have to a little more careful about checking your blindspots.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    This is why the last car for me and the last car for Mrs. Snafu are both Mazda's. Mazda does not use cvt transmissions.
    I was reading last night where Toyota always beat Honda in reliability ratings, but Mazda beats Toyota except for the Corolla.
    I'd never heard of Mazda being so reliable.
    I thought Mazda was the "Chrysler" of the big 3 in Japan, haha!
    Now, I'll have to do more research on Mazda's SUVs if I have to get another.
    Like you, it should be my last car just like I thought this Subi would be putting 10k/yr on & planning on running it to 300,000 miles, which should give me another 20 yrs!

Thanks for the heads up about regular trannies in Mazda!

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I was reading last night where Toyota always beat Honda in reliability ratings, but Mazda beats Toyota except for the Corolla.
    I'd never heard of Mazda being so reliable.
    I thought Mazda was the "Chrysler" of the big 3 in Japan, haha!
    Now, I'll have to do more research on Mazda's SUVs if I have to get another.
    Like you, it should be my last car just like I thought this Subi would be putting 10k/yr on & planning on running it to 300,000 miles, which should give me another 20 yrs!

Thanks for the heads up about regular trannies in Mazda!
    Mitsu has always been the chryco of Japan. Outside the US Suzuki has flirted with top 3, just couldn't gain traction in the US(thanks GM).

Top Bottom