• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Glad to hear you’re alright, but sorry to hear this! Any more details on the truck? Color, make, easily identified features (stickers, prior damage, etc.) so we can all keep an eye open for it?
    I only saw that it was white with a camper on top: very generic.
    And the guy, with his coat & hat on gave me little indication at 75 yds of anything but white or Mexican & age anywhere from 45-55, judging by movements.
    Fairly worthless details, I know.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Hey @doddg you are taking your car to @AllenM 's place so that is a good thing. If it is totaled you gotta find another car. There ain't none!
    I know!
    I'll probably end up having to buy a new car since I'm not paying $15K for a car with 100k miles on it, especially with these compromised CVT trannies that don't hold up sometimes for even 110k miles.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If they total it talk to Allen M about feasibility of repairs and buy it back from the Insurance company.

Glad your OK.
    I've thought of that, & depending what they would give me for mine, it would be a consideration.
    I have an old friend that I've lost touch with that owns a body shop on the East side.
    I could get the work done at a wholesale price, thought it wouldn't be as perfect as Allen by any stretch.
    He deals mostly with those trying get work done economically.
    I spent most of my life poor, so I used him in the past, haha!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    This was my ‘78 ‘Ru 42 years ago after a tree ran out in front of me. Insurance covered the repair and I drove it a few more years. I was always glad the impact was nowhere near the passenger compartment. I’m glad your wife wasn’t on board. Had she been riding shotgun, hopefully she would only be very sore right now.

View attachment 250928
    Great story in a few words!
    Do you realize it would take me a page to communicate that, haha!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I carry uninsured motorist coverage. Doesn't add much to the premium and it's zero deductible if you get in an accident with an uninsured driver, which I did earlier this year.

Dude hauling a trailer load of construction debris had a 36", steel exterior door get caught by the wind and take flight. I saw it coming and swerved so it was just a glancing blow, but enough to do $4K in damage.

Then the wife had someone hit her car right behind the driver's back tire pulling into a parking space. Really just a scuff on the plastic bumper cover that I could probably buff out. But a few days later her blind spot monitoring quit working. Her estimate was $3500. Blind spot monitors are sonar and their proper operation is dependent on the thickness of that plastic bumper cover. Supposedly, even paint thickness can affect their operation. So a new factory painted bumper cover with sensors is required along with calibration at the dealer.
    I've always carried Uninsured Motorist, one of the main reasons for having insurance.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    The side bag didn't deploy, so that's a good sign they won't total it.

Popped air bags will often result in a total loss, even in a minor wreck, due to their cost and replacement

If for some reason they do total it, buy it back... unless the damage is structural.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    My son hit a deer around new years in his 2009 Forester. Parts availability and getting it scheduled for repairs is the issue. It seems the shops are busy and cannot find good help. Go figure.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    My son hit a deer around new years in his 2009 Forester. Parts availability and getting it scheduled for repairs is the issue. It seems the shops are busy and cannot find good help. Go figure.
    The Erie insurance adjuster said that many shops are scheduled out till April & May!!!

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Glad you're ok, and that your wife wasn't in the car, hopefully karma will follow, and find the POS who did that! It's seems that now-a-days dash cams are the way to go....some are priced quite reasonable, don't know if that would have helped, but for the future.....

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Glad you're ok, and that your wife wasn't in the car, hopefully karma will follow, and find the POS who did that! It's seems that now-a-days dash cams are the way to go....some are priced quite reasonable, don't know it that would have helped, but for the future.....
    Since I was hit from the side, don't know if that would have helped, but you point is well taken.

The impact spun me counterclockwise 90* right at the very NW corner of the intersection.
    I was aimed at an angle NE after impact.
    He must have gone behind me since he wasn't in front of me where I could see him after impact.

I pulled across the intersection on Sherman to get to the NE side beside the CVS sidewalk.
    When I had a chance to get out of vehicle, I could see pick up sitting parked beside the curb on Washington aimed West, waiting for traffic to abate to turn into the gas station.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    The Erie insurance adjuster said that many shops are scheduled out till April & May!!!
    I went to the body shop that I wanted to fix my car and told the girl behind the desk I needed an estimate. She pulled up her calendar and said the next opening she had was in 6 weeks.

I was like, I'm sorry. I said I need to schedule an estimate. Not an appointment to fix it.

She was like, yeah. 6 weeks for the estimate. An appointment to fix it will be out 10-12 weeks.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Everyone in Indiana is required to carry uninsured motorist coverage. However, if you don't actually KNOW that the person who hit you was uninsured, it won't cover anything. Hubby got hit riding his motorcycles several years ago. The kid that hit him took off. Insurance said without proof of who hit him and that they didn't have insurance, he was on his own to fix it. I've heard similar stories from others who were hit and run victims.

My daughter got lucky last month with the drunk that hit her. The drunk crashed a bit down the road after a near miss with another vehicle and was caught. Luckily, she actually had insurance. I'm not sure how or why she legally was still able to drive based on her history of DWI's, but she had insurance and a license. She doesn't anymore. I will be front and center at her hearing.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I went to the body shop that I wanted to fix my car and told the girl behind the desk I needed an estimate. She pulled up her calendar and said the next opening she had was in 6 weeks.

I was like, I'm sorry. I said I need to schedule an estimate. Not an appointment to fix it.

She was like, yeah. 6 weeks for the estimate. An appointment to fix it will be out 10-12 weeks.
    We are 3-4 out right now. Actual repairs are late March at the earliest. We have more work than we can even handle and are turning sone away because of the back log. Parts issues for 2 years haven’t helped.

And don’t even get me started on the insurance companies. Getting estimates approved after tear down is taking 2-3 weeks if we are lucky

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I’m taking the car to Allen’s Diamond Collision tomorrow, but I think the hand writing’s on the wall.
    The adjuster who came by to see the Subi thought it probably would be totaled.
    He couldn’t get the doors open to check on some type of inner steel pillar, if bent it’s a goner.
    Bummer!
    He said he saw it had new Michelin tires on it and there wasn’t a scratch on it.
    I also let him know that last summer I had the brakes done all round plus wheel bearings!

Last edited:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Good luck to your son. My wife wrecked her 09 Forester back in 2016 and they totaled it even though the damage estimate was below the typical threshold for totaling due to the inability to get a particular part even back then.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    He's not wrong. I own a collision repair shop in Lafayette (north of Indy), and we are scheduling for April. Too many crashes, part issues, can't find enough help.

Any differerence in brands with part issues?

Nieghbor lady had a helluva time getting her Hyundai fixed a few months ago. Parts issues in the warm weather.

Top Bottom