• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Wednesday: a snowy, slushy-covered road day, where advised-to-stay-at-home, but I didn't.
    Roads were traversable but the wife wanted me to take her to the "Fame" building for some volunteer work near Southeastern Ave/Emerson.
    Dropped her off at 9:15 am & proceeded to a 10:30 am meeting at Community North for my arthritic lower back that had an inflammation flare-up like never before a couple of weeks ago that stopped me in my tracks for the first time.

Headed north and ended up on Sherman.
    Stopped at the light where Washington intersects.
    Light turned green for me on Sherman to cross Washington & I pulled away when, "Wham!"
    Pics show damage.

I saw the corner of a vehicle at the last minute in my peripheral vision & tried to turn left in the slush to dodge him, but to no avail.
    I guess the guy in the pick up was either running the red light or going so fast he couldn't stop at the light with the road slick.
    I ended up on the NW side of the intersection.
    To get out of the intersection, I drove to the NE side of the road beside the CVS & parked my car up on the side walk with my left wheels still on the turn-in lane for the CVS, which was out of the way.

The guy in the truck sat there a minute in the slow lane on Washington waiting for traffic to get by.
    He turned into a gas station across the street I supposed to circle around where I was.
    I saw him stop at the station looking at the corner of his bumper, which probably had little damage, then get back into the pickup.
    I was waiting for him in my SUV & got out of it with my insurance papers in hand.
    He was gone!
    I waited 10 minutes incase for some strange reason he went "the long way around" to get to me, but alas, he had vanished!

I called Erie, my insurance, & they said I needed to stay & report the hit-and-run to the police who would want to file a report.
    She shared the news that I had a $1000 deductible!

I called 911 & police came, a Kenny Greer, who was there in minutes.
    Due to the bad weather, I thought I'd be waiting for 2-3 hours: I was amazed.
    I'd texted the wife telling her to get a ride home b/c I would be "tied up."

I went into the CVS to see about their cameras, but theirs weren't working.
    Mr. Greer went over to the gas station & checked their cameras & saw the back of him & the side of the truck, but not license number.

By this time I'd cancelled my Dr. appt. & left to go pick up my wife at Fame.
    Front door would not open so she had to get in the back seat.

Elizabeth, the person from Erie handling my claim called me w/i an hour, & arranged for me to get a rental.
    The claims adjuster called w/i 2 hours.
    He is really backed up & said just that day there were already 7 people like myself added to his list.
    He is coming Wednesday to look at the car, then I take it to Avon at Diamond Collision.

I called Allen (sponsor here on INGO) at Diamond Collision, INC, in Avon, (West on Rockville/36) to do the work.
    He had repaired a dent on my prized Honda S2000, doing impeccably detailed work, making it like new, blending the paint perfectly, even on old 2004 original paint!
    He is 40 minutes away from me here in Wanamaker (SE side of Indy, outside of E465 & NE of Greenwood).
    I don't mind driving an extra time to Avon on the West side for the peace of mind that it will be done absolutely right!

I hope insurance doesn't total it, since I don't want to buy a car at today's prices, when this one only has 105,000 miles on it.
    I had hoped this would be my last vehicle & I planned to put 300-400k miles on it.
    Perfect silver-green color & the first vehicle my wife got to have final approval, haha!

entire right passenger side.jpg front door damage from front fender view.jpg front door damage from side showing holes.jpg rear door damage from side view.jpg scrapping damage on rear side of back door near wheel.jpg little bit of scraping on rear panel behind rear door.jpg

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Sorry to hear about your crash doddg. Definitely a :poop:ty sitch. Hope they don't total it either. Good choice on the repair shop, Allen does great work.

Best of luck with the outcome. Glad you're ok.

Last edited:

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Glad you're unhurt. If it were the driver's side it could have been worse. My wife was hit by a dude in a junker that ran and the Evansville PD made no effort to even investigate. Sad world we live in.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    We just totaled one almost identical to this. Both doors, b-pillar and part of the floor pan were wrecked. Finding parts is so damn hard right now. Used parts don’t exist worth a damn and new we are at the mercy of the manufacturers.

Good luck and stay on the adjuster. Most of our delays right now are insurance related.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    The whole thing stinks how it went down .......Seems to be happening a lot more nowdays . People with no insurance or something to hide take off and leave you holding the bag for all the $$$repairs .
    Glad you are not hurt and to add more $$ for medical . ( you could still end up with something like a pinched nerve after the fact )
    That happened to a few of my friends .
    Not a repairman , but looks like it could be fixed ( fingers crossed ) ......Those are some great vehicles to have .

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Glad to hear you’re alright, but sorry to hear this! Any more details on the truck? Color, make, easily identified features (stickers, prior damage, etc.) so we can all keep an eye open for it?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Hey @doddg you are taking your car to @AllenM 's place so that is a good thing. If it is totaled you gotta find another car. There ain't none!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    So sorry to hear about this. Glad everyone is OK!

I wonder if the hit and run driver isn't becoming a bigger thing these days? Especially after the covid excuse, inflation, worker shortage, etc. it seems as though insurance rates (that were already stupid high,) are on the rise. My State Farm bill went up 20%. Never had a claim, in 30 years.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I carry uninsured motorist coverage. Doesn't add much to the premium and it's zero deductible if you get in an accident with an uninsured driver, which I did earlier this year.

Dude hauling a trailer load of construction debris had a 36", steel exterior door get caught by the wind and take flight. I saw it coming and swerved so it was just a glancing blow, but enough to do $4K in damage.

Then the wife had someone hit her car right behind the driver's back tire pulling into a parking space. Really just a scuff on the plastic bumper cover that I could probably buff out. But a few days later her blind spot monitoring quit working. Her estimate was $3500. Blind spot monitors are sonar and their proper operation is dependent on the thickness of that plastic bumper cover. Supposedly, even paint thickness can affect their operation. So a new factory painted bumper cover with sensors is required along with calibration at the dealer.

funeralweb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    This was my ‘78 ‘Ru 42 years ago after a tree ran out in front of me. Insurance covered the repair and I drove it a few more years. I was always glad the impact was nowhere near the passenger compartment. I’m glad your wife wasn’t on board. Had she been riding shotgun, hopefully she would only be very sore right now.

1674821247103.png

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I lost a car to a red light runner last month. Luckily he didn't try to run.

This behavior is absolutely endemic in Indy now.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Glad you were not hurt. Damn shame about your completely functional old vehicle.

As stated above, hit and run has become much more common nowadays. Don't get me started on speculating what the common contributing factors are; I would get a time-out on other social media forums for my trouble.

I had a similar experience last week. Driving home last Tuesday evening in rush hour, I detoured to the BG Lowes to pick up a couple of items. Afterwards, I was southbound on Emerson at Thompson in the slow lane waiting for the light to turn green, when BANG! my head bounced off the headrest and it took me five seconds to realize something had run into the rear end of my pickup. I looked in the rearview mirror to see an 90s version of a white Mazda 626 sitting behind me, could not make out the driver. I took a right turn into the Jiffy Lube parking lot to assess damage, pulled into a parking space and looked back to the street to watch said Mazda continue on southbound. I thought, really? they're going to run for it? So I made chase and called 911 that put me into the "don't hang up, some one will be with you right away" call queue. I got to Thompson & 9th before someone picked up, with the runner just barely in view. As I turned on 9th, we went through the "we don't advise following the other car" and "does anyone need an ambulance" list of questions. At that point, I couldn't see the offender any more and noticed a BGPD cruiser in a parking lot. So I ended my emergency call and pulled up to the copper, rolled down my window, explained my situation, and asked if he'd write a report for me. He agreed and we got out of our vehicles and moved to the rear of my truck. But we shared a chuckle as it occurred to the both of us there was no damage to my rear end because the Mazda had met my oversized trailer hitch before making any bumper contact. It was a solid hit, so I had nothing to report while the runner at the very least had a torn bumper cover or at most a punctured radiator.

If you believe in Karma, it was riding with me that day.

@doddg I hope your $h1++y situation works out to your benefit.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Glad you're unhurt. If it were the driver's side it could have been worse. My wife was hit by a dude in a junker that ran and the Evansville PD made no effort to even investigate. Sad world we live in.
    I thanked my God that my wife wasn't in the car since I dropped her off a few minutes before!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The whole thing stinks how it went down .......Seems to be happening a lot more nowdays . People with no insurance or something to hide take off and leave you holding the bag for all the $$$repairs .
    Glad you are not hurt and to add more $$ for medical . ( you could still end up with something like a pinched nerve after the fact )
    That happened to a few of my friends .
    Not a repairman , but looks like it could be fixed ( fingers crossed ) ......Those are some great vehicles to have .
    I was a little stiffer in the back & neck the day after & today, but I get that way with my normal arthritis activity, haha!
    I worked out at Bodyzone yesterday w/o issue.
    Irony is that I was headed to Dr b/c of my back pain that flared up 2 wks ago.

Top Bottom