• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Check out the Chevy Equinox. I had the choice of a '20 Forester or a '20 Equinox (both fully loaded) back in 2019 as a new company car. I test drove them both and the Equinox was a better vehicle. 162k problem free miles so far and my '23 Equinox should be in soon.

FWIW, my previous company car was a loaded '18 Forester...
    Great feedback! Thanks!
    Wife took objection with, "No, no!" since that's never been on the radar, haha!
    My fault.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    So readers digest version basically 3 ways to have your loss covered.

1 First Party coverage ie you carry collision coverage

2 you have UMPD uninsured or under insured coverage

3 You file a claim with the at fault carrie. For instance the at fault driver was insured with XYZ insurance a quick search will yield the contact numbers for you to call them and file a claim.

Not trying to tell you what to to do just wanted to offer a suggestion for you to consider. Two offers of settlement may prove useful especially in this inflated market.
    It was hit and run.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Uninsured and underinsured auto insurance is your own way to “self insure” against hit&run and cheapskate drivers who only carry state minimum auto insurance. Given the numerous stories of hit&run crashes in Indiana, the aforesaid insurance coverage is a must!!!:chest:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Uninsured and underinsured auto insurance is your own way to “self insure” against hit&run and cheapskate drivers who only carry state minimum auto insurance. Given the numerous stories of hit&run crashes in Indiana, the aforesaid insurance coverage is a must!!!:chest:
    Uninsured motorist insurance does not apply to hit and runs.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Uninsured motorist insurance does not apply to hit and runs.
    I strongly disagree. These coverages are available in Indiana. Do some research and you will find these coverages are available in Indiana. In particular take a look at the Indiana Department of Insurance website for further confirmation of these insurance coverages.

Last edited:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I have uninsured motorist insurance… it didn’t cover the hit and run since they could not confirm whether the other driver had insurance or not. The claim had to go through my collision coverage and deductible applied.

Last edited:

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I strongly disagree. These coverages are available in Indiana. Do some research and you will find these coverages are available in Indiana. In particular take a look at the Indiana Department of Insurance website for further confirmation of these insurance coverages.
    You have to prove the person that hit you was uninsured for it to cover your damage. How do you do that when you don't know who hit you???? We've been the victim in this situation so would love to hear how this works.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Started out 10 am Saturday headed to Avon to Diamond Collision to get my license plate & leave the 2nd set of keys.
    Didn't make it. :dunno:

I first wanted to check E. 96/Keystone area where there is a multitude of dealerships.
    Went to Tom Wood Subaru & met with the guy who sold me the Forester.
    They literally had no Foresters that weren't already sold unless I wanted to pay $30,000++.
    Stopped by Penske Honda & nothing in the CR-V line that wasn't too expensive or too many miles.

The wife & I worked all Thursday & Friday evening doing research on SUVs & we got a reality check after our wonderful experience buying the Subi nearly 5 yrs ago:
    - 2015 Forester bought in 2018
    - Certified
    - $17,000
    - 55,000 miles
    Those basic deals are no more.
    We originally wanted to stay under $20k. :facepalm:
    But, to get a 2019 with mileage under 50,000 was fraught with difficulty and availability.
    Plenty of things available in the $26K - $29K range, but I wasn't feeling it. :nono:

I felt alot of pressure to hurry I get this done since I was going out of town after this week.

The wife wanted to get a 2018 or newer & less than 60k miles, preferably 20k-ish.
    At Nissan, they had nothing except on a Rogue, but with the profile I was looking for.
    It wasn't ready yet & they didn't have a price yet, but with a 2020 with 33k miles & I didn't think it would fit the pricing profile anyway.

I realized I wasn't going to get a Forester or Honda CR-V w/o paying closer to 30k.
    All the CR-Vs were too many miles or over my price point.

B/C of influence from a couple of retired friends that had Hyundai, I stopped to check with them.
    The Tucson & Santa Fe were worth checking into & I drove both.
    I was pleasantly surprised at both.
    Bought a 2021 Hyundai Tuscon with 29k miles on it for $24,000.
    It comes with 3 more years of a bumper-to-bumper warranty.
    I made a mistake declining an additional 5 yrs. of the same for $1500.
    It actually was $2000, but after declining he quickly came down to the $1500 & would take it if I could do it all over again.
    I'm going to call Monday am to see if they will let me pay them to get that changed, but I assume not.
    Since there was an upgrade in 2019, I should have b/c of the bugs in any new car, especially with so many electronics involved.
    If there is just one issue in those additional 5 yrs, it will cost the $1500.
    Stupid of me.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Started out 10 am Saturday headed to Avon to Diamond Collision to get my license plate & leave the 2nd set of keys.
    Didn't make it. :dunno:

I first wanted to check E. 96/Keystone area where there is a multitude of dealerships.
    Went to Tom Wood Subaru & met with the guy who sold me the Forester.
    They literally had no Foresters that weren't already sold unless I wanted to pay $30,000++.
    Stopped by Penske Honda & nothing in the CR-V line that wasn't too expensive or too many miles.

The wife & I worked all Thursday & Friday evening doing research on SUVs & we got a reality check after our wonderful experience buying the Subi nearly 5 yrs ago:
    - 2015 Forester bought in 2018
    - Certified
    - $17,000
    - 55,000 miles
    Those basic deals are no more.
    We originally wanted to stay under $20k. :facepalm:
    But, to get a 2019 with mileage under 50,000 was fraught with difficulty and availability.
    Plenty of things available in the $26K - $29K range, but I wasn't feeling it. :nono:

I felt alot of pressure to hurry I get this done since I was going out of town after this week.

The wife wanted to get a 2018 or newer & less than 60k miles, preferably 20k-ish.
    At Nissan, they had nothing except on a Rogue, but with the profile I was looking for.
    It wasn't ready yet & they didn't have a price yet, but with a 2020 with 33k miles & I didn't think it would fit the pricing profile anyway.

I realized I wasn't going to get a Forester or Honda CR-V w/o paying closer to 30k.
    All the CR-Vs were too many miles or over my price point.

B/C of influence from a couple of retired friends that had Hyundai, I stopped to check with them.
    The Tucson & Santa Fe were worth checking into & I drove both.
    I was pleasantly surprised at both.
    Bought a 2021 Hyundai Tuscon with 29k miles on it for $24,000.
    It comes with 3 more years of a bumper-to-bumper warranty.
    I made a mistake declining an additional 5 yrs. of the same for $1500.
    It actually was $2000, but after declining he quickly came down to the $1500 & would take it if I could do it all over again.
    I'm going to call Monday am to see if they will let me pay them to get that changed, but I assume not.
    Since there was an upgrade in 2019, I should have b/c of the bugs in any new car, especially with so many electronics involved.
    If there is just one issue in those additional 5 yrs, it will cost the $1500.
    Stupid of me.
    Congrats! That Hyundai should serve you well. My wife’s 2012 Santa Fe has.

Call them Monday. Most dealerships will give you a few days grace to reconsider the extended warranty.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Every insurance policy is governed by the policy language and very importantly the definitions contained in the policy. UM and UIM coverage is optional in Indiana so insurance companies write their policies with all sorts of language and definitions. If your policy has definitions specific to hit and run and accompanying language there may or may not be coverage available. Depends on the insurers and their specific policy language. I should have clarified my previous post and for that I apologize.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey

I'm guessing they will take your money. I believe they make more money on the extended warranties than they do on the car itself.

On the other hand, in the course of probably 15 brand new cars in which I declined the extended warranty, I've saved enough to pay for any major repair that I may be faced with.

YMMV

Oh, and best of luck with your newish car. Hope it's a good one for you.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Told you to check the Koreans. Lol. Don’t waste your money on the aftermarket warranty. Take that $1500 and invest it for later.
    That has always been my attitude, but with all the electronics & all the issues I read about certain problems that arise, another $300 per year for 5 yrs to get warranty extended bumper to bumper I will feel better.
    I'm a worrier, haha!
    The original buyer gets the 10 yrs bumper to bumper, but not on resale, just the 5 yr at that point.

The car was bought at the Hyundai dealership & previous owner traded it in on a new one.
    I did like that profile.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm guessing they will take your money. I believe they make more money on the extended warranties than they do on the car itself.

On the other hand, in the course of probably 15 brand new cars in which I declined the extended warranty, I've saved enough to pay for any major repair that I may be faced with.

YMMV

Oh, and best of luck with your newish car. Hope it's a good one for you.
    I totally get it.
    When extended warranties cost a few under, it was one thing, but now they can cost over $2000 to extend from 3 yr to only 6 or 7 yrs total (my limited experience).

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Extended warranties are a third party insurance company. They will and do screw you any chance they get to make a buck. I spent too many years in the business to ever recommend someone buy one. Screw those companies that prey on the unknowing and trusting.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Extended warranties are a third party insurance company. They will and do screw you any chance they get to make a buck. I spent too many years in the business to ever recommend someone buy one. Screw those companies that prey on the unknowing and trusting.
    Not necessarily.... it depends on the warranty. With Fords and Mopars you can buy a factory esp which is often well worth it... I'm not sure what the Koreans offer, but if it's only a 3rd party, I whole heartedly agree...

Top Bottom