• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bdj357

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    DaRegion NWI Crown Point
    Why is it Springfield says they are the oldest name in American firearms?
    Their 1911's are made in Brazil.
    The XD's are made in Croatia.
    Only a small portion of it firearms produced are made in American.
    The same can be said for Taurus.

Springfield Inc.'s motto "The Oldest Name In American Firearms" while technically true, is misleading since the company has no connection whatsoever with the original Springfield Armory in Springfield Massachusetts.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying Springfield doesn't produce a quailty product, just that they have Old Glory on everything as if they promote patriotism. It is kind of like buying an American Flag made in China! I said kind of.

The reason I bring this up, is a local gunshop's employee was trying to convience me to buy American when I was comparing the Rock Island and the Springfield. Neither are made in the US of A!

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    No difference from Smith & Wesson (who sells foreign made products too) or many other companies that have been bought and sold many times over. When you buy the name you get the rights to it's history. But just wait .... there'll be another dude along to bang that drum and sing your praises for bringing this up!!! :rolleyes:

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I've got nothing... I wish I had; I know that there are some restrictions to firearms being imported to the US... Even with some slight research I don't know all the ins and outs.

Firearms Importation

Regulation 4F of the Customs (Prohibited Imports) Regulations 1956 (the Regulations), prohibits the importation of firearms and firearms parts and accessories unless those articles are articles for which a permission to import has been granted in accordance with Schedule 6 of the Regulations. These import restrictions reflect the past agreement by all Australian governments that access to firearms be restricted to those with a genuine need to own, possess or use a firearm.
    The Regulations also set out the requirements for the importation of firearms, firearm accessories, firearm parts, firearms magazines .and ammunition

bdj357

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    DaRegion NWI Crown Point
    Don't get me wrong...

I am not questioning the product. I own and carry a Glock for work. I am not against foreign firearms.
    Just the marketing.
    Misleading.
    Anyboby remember the HS2000... described as an alright gun. It is the XD, which is now the next best thing since sliced bread. I prefer what I hope is the honest reviews given by the individuals like ones on this site rather than the magazines who are getting paid by the advertisements.
    Marketing.
    And yes, Smith & Wesson rifles were made by Howa (I think). I don't who makes them now. Even Colt had the original Pony made by Star (once again...I think) and the little .25 was made by Astra.

Another Point I was making is don't assume your local gun dealer has ANY idea what they are talking about.

Agent 007

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    But just wait .... there'll be another dude along to bang that drum and sing your praises for bringing this up!!! :rolleyes:

Yeah....kind of annoying when someone trumpets one brand over the other, based on nothing but personal preference, isn't it? Kinda like your sig line, that's attached to EVERY post that you make? :rolleyes:

Calling a $299 Croation pistol a "Springfield" is like calling a Kenyan citizen "Mr. President." The XD....it's the change that Glock bashers can believe in! :)

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Yeah....kind of annoying when someone trumpets one brand over the other, based on nothing but personal preference, isn't it? Kinda like your sig line, that's attached to EVERY post that you make? :rolleyes:

Calling a $299 Croation pistol a "Springfield" is like calling a Kenyan citizen "Mr. President." The XD....it's the change that Glock bashers can believe in! :)

Talk about the kettle calling the pot black!!!!! :laugh: :lmfao::p

Agent 007

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    Talk about the kettle calling the pot black!!!!! :laugh: :lmfao::p

You'll notice that that's not my signature, and thus not present in every post that I make. I put that there just so your Hi-Point/XD pager would go off, and you would see how stupid it looks to have a signature line that bashes a Glock with every post that you make. Given the quick response to my post, I'd say your pager is working. At least my little tag line has a ring of truth to it. :cool:

Springfield XD.....like a Glock, only with a grip doodad for people who think that safety is a mechanical device and not a behavior. :):

Last edited:

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    You'll notice that that's not my signature, and thus not present in every post that I make. I put that there just so your Hi-Point/XD pager would go off, and you would see how stupid it looks to have a signature line that bashes a Glock with every post that you make. Given the quick response to my post, I'd say your pager is working. At least my little tag line has a ring of truth to it. :cool:

Springfield XD.....like a Glock, only with a grip doodad for people who think that safety is a mechanical device and not a behavior. :):

You have indeed shown me a great deal of stupidity, I'll give you that!!! :laugh:

And now that you fell into my trap and I've grown tire of messing with you, I'll say.... "goodnight 'lil Glocker"!!! :patriot:

Agent 007

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    You have indeed shown me a great deal of stupidity, I'll give you that!!! :laugh:

Me showing you stupidity? You advocate HI-POINTS! :laugh: Me showing you how to be stupid would be like Stevie Wonder teaching Helio Castroneves how to drive! :):

I own a Glock, but I prefer my M&P. Either way, it's nice that I don't have to validate my choice by saying that it's "like something else, only better." How sad for you, to live in the shadow of the Glock.

Sweet dreams, princess. :cool:

Hi-Point Firearms.....like a fat girl or a moped; it's fun until your friends find out. :D

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I suspect that since the earliest manufactured firearms in America came from individual shops back in the hills the oldest name would be hard to find.:)

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Anyboby remember the HS2000... described as an alright gun. It is the XD, which is now the next best thing since sliced bread.

To be fair, the HS 2000 had a pretty fanatical cult following in the pre-Springfield days. When Springfield started marketing them, they did do some fairly substantial tweaking and product improvements. I don't remember all the details - I think most of this was around the safety features, trigger, grip angle, etc. But these are some of the details that make a pistol preferable to another for people who happen to like it.

I will say that of all the polymer pistols I have shot, the XD was the one that felt and behaved most like a regular gun to me. Fair disclosure: I don't own any polymer guns, so I don't have any stake in pumping one over the others.

To your OP; Springfield certainly does seem to be fostering the appearance of an "All-American" gun. They are, in fact, an American company, and their custom shop is here. They're not exactly trumpeting the fact that most of their guns or the major parts thereof are made in foreign countries. Like everything else, it's marketing hype.

Similar but opposite effect; Sig-Sauer seems to downplay their increasingly Americanized operation. Most gun people seem to think of them as a Swiss-German company, which certainly has some marketing appeal. I believe there are still some parts of some guns that are made in Europe, but much of the manufacturing is done in New Hampshire these days. Funny how "I just paid $1,000 for this fancy Swiss-German pistol" sounds so much better than "Hey, look at my new pistol from New Hampshire." Fair disclosure: I'm a pretty serious SIG fanatic. I don't believe there's anything inferior about the American SIGs, but you will still see people trumpeting the gun they're selling as one of the "Real German" SIGs.

Lt. Dan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Springfield is the oldest gun manufacture. Now if they have their products made over seas is another story.

Except not...Springfield Armory, Inc. was founded in 1974. To me the most annoying thing is not so much the American-made versus foreign parts argument, but the fact that they have **absolutely no connection** to the REAL Springfield Armory in Massachusetts.

:patriot:

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I would have to say that Remington is the oldest firearms manufacturer in the US. Ephilet Remington was making muzzle loaders back in 1816. That pre-dates Colt and Winchester by a good 20 and 50 years.

Doug K

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Why is it Springfield says they are the oldest name in American firearms?
    Because the name, Springfield Armory, is the oldest in American firearms. Yes, it's a marketing gimmick for their handguns. (their rifles are still made in USA-unless I was lied to by an ignorant gunstore clerk.) Who cares? They import XDs and 1911s of a high enough quality that they feel comfortable stamping their name on them. It's their name. They bought it. Kind of like Glock putting their name on US made handguns.
    Their 1911's are made in Brazil.
    The XD's are made in Croatia.
    Only a small portion of it firearms produced are made in American.
    The same can be said for Taurus.
    Yeah. This is only a revelation for those who don't do their homework.
    Springfield Inc.'s motto "The Oldest Name In American Firearms" while technically true, is misleading since the company has no connection whatsoever with the original Springfield Armory in Springfield Massachusetts.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying Springfield doesn't produce a quailty product, just that they have Old Glory on everything as if they promote patriotism. It is kind of like buying an American Flag made in China! I said kind of.
    I couldn't find images of flags on either of my XDs. Maybe mine are defective.
    The reason I bring this up, is a local gunshop's employee was trying to convience me to buy American when I was comparing the Rock Island and the Springfield. Neither are made in the US of A!
    Yup. He's an idjit.
    I am not questioning the product. I own and carry a Glock for work. I am not against foreign firearms.
    Just the marketing.
    Misleading.
    Anyboby remember the HS2000... described as an alright gun. It is the XD, which is now the next best thing since sliced bread. I prefer what I hope is the honest reviews given by the individuals like ones on this site rather than the magazines who are getting paid by the advertisements.
    Marketing.
    Yes, it is. The reviews it gets here are from people who carry it every day and shoot it often. I've carried my xd40SC for 4 years now.
    And yes, Smith & Wesson rifles were made by Howa (I think). I don't who makes them now. Even Colt had the original Pony made by Star (once again...I think) and the little .25 was made by Astra.

Another Point I was making is don't assume your local gun dealer has ANY idea what they are talking about.
    Yeah....kind of annoying when someone trumpets one brand over the other, based on nothing but personal preference, isn't it?
    What? You don't tell people which brand you prefer?
    Kinda like your sig line, that's attached to EVERY post that you make? :rolleyes:

Who owns the "Springfield" name? if they own it, can't they put it on any product they want to put it on? Would you rather they put it on some American made piece of crap like a hi-point, or quality foreign-made pistols?
    I guess if a glock basher is someone who doesn't bow at the feet of Gaston, then, yes, I'm a Glock basher.

It's funny that every time it's pointed out that glocks have no safety switch, the following irrelevant fact is pointed out:
    hey, genius, Glocks have three internal safties.....
    Glock guys, and apparently, you, Agent 007, can't seem to differentiate between the concept of safety, an actual safety selector, and safety features or devices.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I would have to say that Remington is the oldest firearms manufacturer in the US. Ephilet Remington was making muzzle loaders back in 1816. That pre-dates Colt and Winchester by a good 20 and 50 years.

Doug K
    Even Remington is out sourcing its business to other countries...so far just China...thats where there ammo is being made, hints the quality control problems they've been having.

Top Bottom