• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    For me, it's not a daily driver. I have my take home car and I have my Camaro.

Like anything, pros and cons.

My wife: Take your time and get exactly what you want.
    Also my wife: Did you decide yet?

My wife: Get what you want.
    Also my wife: Did you drive X yet? Drive X just to make sure.
    Also also my wife: Did you decide yet?

INGO: :nailbite:
    Wife after purchase: I don’t like it, you should have bought X, it was pretty!

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    For me, it's not a daily driver. I have my take home car and I have my Camaro.

Like anything, pros and cons.

INGO: :nailbite:
    Yeah, not really directed at you since you explained your purpose and desires for it in great detail and you have meticulously planned for this purchase.

Just an observation of the general public, seems everyone wants to be seen driving the biggest thing they can get for no real reason ( I know, I know - wants and needs and all). I will have no sympathy for anyone who has one and complains they are too broke to keep it paid for, full and maintained.

I have always hated trucks in general, to me they are tools-of-the-trade but can be essential in many situations. I have two at the moment; a 2001 GMC Sonoma I inherited from my FIL and my 2001 rust bucket Infiniti QX4. The Sonoma has great utility for me as a hauler and the QX4 is my bad weather/snow beater so I don't need to drive my "nice" cars the 'Vette and Firebird in those conditions.

Considering the QX4 is 21 years old now and still runs like a swiss watch with 4x4 capabilities and heated seats, I don't consider myself a poser. My current dilemma is that when it needs tires or other significant service, it will likely exceed the worth of the truck.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Before I got married I didn’t know “do whatever you want” had a secret meaning…

It's worse with Arabic culture where being literal is not something you can take for granted and where there's a conversational formula to determine if you're saying what you mean or what's polite. You aren't supposed to accept a free gift the first time it's offered, for example, as the person may just be offering it out of feelings of obligation or as a show of friendship/support. If they *really* want you to have it, they will offer it 2nd and 3rd time or just give it to you without asking again. Which also can vary based on how expensive or how much of a bother it is.

Me making coffee anyway and there's some left: Do you want coffee? (you can safely accept the 1st offer)
    Me driving to Starbucks 10 miles away: Do you want coffee? (Decline once. Wait to see if I offer again)
    Me not going near a Starbucks for myself, but could divert the trip if you want to (Definitely decline at least twice, but use body language to indicate if you're being truthful or polite)

My wife has acclimated enough that I don't have to play the game nearly as much and this is a legit 'buy what you want' mixed with a 'but then don't complain about it or try to change it with something else'.

MiL was tough, though, really had to reacclimate myself to the keenly watching body language to see the real story.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I forgot to talk about the shifter in the new Chevy. It's wierd. Like they hired some German engineers sort of wierd (which is like weird, but more so). "How can we make this more complicated for no apparent reason?" combined with "Why use 3 parts when 27 will do?"

There's a button on top that puts it in park. Don't rest your hand on the shifter.

There's a button the side that you have to push to shift it out of park, but the shifter will move if you hit the button or not. You do not have to hit the button to shift after the initial shift.

The shifter returns to the middle position when you let go, regardless of what gear it is in.

The shifter has 5 detents, the default middle and then 2 up and 2 down. I think.

Going up goes to reverse, going down goes into drive. Or low, depending on how many detents you move it through.

Don't rest your hand on the shifter.

It makes Ram's dial shifter and then steering wheel gear selection limiter seem absolutely brilliant in it's simplicity and ease of operation.

Honestly, I don't get what problem this thing addresses or why it's better.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    It's worse with Arabic culture where being literal is not something you can take for granted and where there's a conversational formula to determine if you're saying what you mean or what's polite. You aren't supposed to accept a free gift the first time it's offered, for example, as the person may just be offering it out of feelings of obligation or as a show of friendship/support. If they *really* want you to have it, they will offer it 2nd and 3rd time or just give it to you without asking again. Which also can vary based on how expensive or how much of a bother it is.

Me making coffee anyway and there's some left: Do you want coffee? (you can safely accept the 1st offer)
    Me driving to Starbucks 10 miles away: Do you want coffee? (Decline once. Wait to see if I offer again)
    Me not going near a Starbucks for myself, but could divert the trip if you want to (Definitely decline at least twice, but use body language to indicate if you're being truthful or polite)

My wife has acclimated enough that I don't have to play the game nearly as much and this is a legit 'buy what you want' mixed with a 'but then don't complain about it or try to change it with something else'.

MiL was tough, though, really had to reacclimate myself to the keenly watching body language to see the real story.

Sounds complicated, but I guess it works for them.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Sounds complicated, but I guess it works for them.

It is, but human interaction tends to be. We've got our own little rituals and transactional behaviors, we're just so used to them they are invisible to us. If you tell someone "call me anytime" or "If you need anything let me know" and they call you at 2am to bring them a milkshake from 2 states over you're gonna be pissed despite the literal meaning of what you told them.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Interesting, my youngest was dating a Jordanian girl, he talked about her and the different ways middle eastern people see things. Relationship ended though, the family wasn't happy with her dating a part time actor and night club bouncer.

Same problem he has with his current girlfriend.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Trust me... you hear things in songs/music, that you never knew about.
    They aren't the coaxial 3way Jensen speakers from the '70's.
    You are submersed in sound.
    The Jensen 3way were Triaxial, the Coaxial were the 2way. And yes I remember when they were what everyone wanted.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Production is supposed to start on Nov 1 for the new PW. Rumor mill is that they will get a new sport hood and a digital dash, but nobody will confirm it. I even called Ram Customer Service and was told they didn't have the info. There's an info embargo right now, press models are out but they aren't allowed to publish information just yet.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Production is supposed to start on Nov 1 for the new PW. Rumor mill is that they will get a new sport hood and a digital dash, but nobody will confirm it. I even called Ram Customer Service and was told they didn't have the info. There's an info embargo right now, press models are out but they aren't allowed to publish information just yet.
    Very mysterious...

iu

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    So when are you getting a TOYOTA?
    When they make something I want, probably. :D
    I know BBI doesn't care much about towing, but I have a buddy that fishes professionally and Toyota is one of his sponsors, so they furnish him with a Tundra. I asked him how he liked it and he said that it was the best towing truck he'd ever had. He'd always been a GM fan before. But maybe getting a free truck might garner some good will. :):

Top Bottom