• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    (A Murder Board is where you present an idea and everyone tries to find fault/present counter-arguments as a method of testing the soundness of the decision)

Ok, talk me out of it/poke holes in my logic of selecting a Ram 2500 Power Wagon over the Ford F-150 Tremor:

My wife told me to buy a new truck and give mine to my son and it's been made clear to me that the instructions were literal in that she would prefer the new truck be a new truck. I tried to buy a PW out of Louisiana and got scooped at the last minute, so now it's 2023 ordering time regardless of it's Ford or Ram.

Intended use: Long distance recreational trips, occasional hardware store runs, inclimate weather use on occasion, 200-ish mile round trips to my rural property and friends/family visits. Limited but occasional off road/trail use. Service roads and light to moderate trails at best. The occasional trip to TX, CO, UT but anything further would be very rare.

Power Train (mild win PW). The 6.4/8 speed is just a smoother power train. The Ford F-150 Tremor was quicker without a doubt, but also clunkier. Turbos, wastegates, and that 10 speed did not make a smooth "2 lane passing" sort of manuever when you got on it hard then left off suddenly. If you stay in it, it takes a bit to catch but then it's gone. I think it's more the 10 speed than the motor, but it's there. The PW is not as quick but is more predicatable and linear, if that makes sense. The big NA motor just does it's thing without drama and the 8 speed is dialed in. Tremor passes in less space, though, and feels sportier.

Interior (strong win PW). Honestly, no comparison. The Ram's interior is just nicer when comparing top trim to top trim. Both are comfortable, but the Ram is slightly more so. The leather and the plastics in the Tremor look cheaper when viewed side by side. Which is fair given that it is cheaper, which we'll touch on in a bit.

Exterior (mild win PW). This is really subjective, but I like the Ram more. Not enough that it's a big deal, but especially with Tracer graphics and the top trim with the vertical grill, I like it more than the Tremor. I really don't like the extreme rake of the Tremor, but a level will take care of that so it's a non-issue.

Price (strong win Tremor). Optioned the way I want them, roughly $8k difference in price (that's actual purchase price, not MSRP, both through Granger). This isn't entirely fair, as some features that would come with the Tremor will not be on the PW but come standard with the high package. A true apples to apples would be closer to $10k. I just don't care enough about lane assist, emergency braking, etc. to buy the safety package on the PW.

Technology (mild win Tremor). Tremor's tech package has more stuff like drive modes and comes with more driver assist stuff standard. The display is fully digital, although the rumor is the 2023 PW will be as well. I kind of like the mix of analog/digital the current one has, though.

Trucky-ness (mild win PW). Honestly not that much more capable in terms of payload due to the soft springs, it's a very light 3/4 ton or a heavy 1/2 ton as far as that goes. But, 6'4" bed. I have been hesitant to go to a 5.5" bed for a few reasons, not least of which is I can sleep in the 6'4" bed with an air mattress and mosquito net as well as more easily do the hardware store runs over a 5.5' bed. I don't plan to tow anything, and if I do it's unlikely it would stress a Rav-4 so the mild differences in towing capacity is a non-issue for me.

Urban use (very mild win Tremor). Tremor is 7" shorter (length) and 1" shorter (height). Width is fractions of an inch difference. Both have cameras, cross path detection for backing out of head-in curb spots, etc. The PW has ****ing fantastic visibility. Neither is going to be fun to find a parking structure for, but Tremor will be slightly easier to parallel park or head in park.

Highway use (very mild win PW). The ride quality of the PW surprised me. The F-150 unladen is more bouncy and floaty, especially in the rear, but it's only noticable on really bad sections of road, like hitting a big ass chuckhole on an on ramp. The PW feels planted regardless, and thanks to the soft springs and the fact it's coils it rides very nicely. Really surprising for a 3/4 ton. *BUT* range sucks. 16mpg is realistic from everything I've read, 31 gallon tank. So usuable range of around 400-ish miles. I'm used to 500-ish, and the Tremor is around 600-ish. I value both relatively equally, and a part of me says it's easy to swap shocks and it's easy to carry gas cans, so neither is likely insurmountable. The visibility from the PW is ****ing incredible, though. It still has the 4th gen cab dimensions so you sit up higher in the cab than the 5th gen Ram, add in the extra ride height, and it's like driving a brontosaurus.

Infotainment (draw). Ford has more intuitive physical buttons, Ram has some buttons but wants you to use the screen for more stuff. Both have nice screens. Factory sound system is better in the Ram, but not dramatically so. I find Uconnect understands my voice commands more reliably than Sync, but haven't gotten to play with the latest versions of either that's in these trucks much.

Desire to screw-with-it-ness (win PW). Bed cover and rock rails, eventually 35" tires when the OEMs are done and maybe upgrade the shocks when the OEMs are done. I don't see anything else I need or want. Tremor? I'm going to **** with it. I'll want the extra HP from a 93 only tune, it needs a level and tires out of the gate. I want a winch, since I'll be alone most of the time on trails, which will be a bother on the Tremor since you need to relocate the intercooler. Which, while you're in there you might as well get an aftermarket one for more cooling...

Longevity (no crystal ball, but guessing...PW?). I just can't imagine a twin turbo V6 is going to last as long as a NA V8, but maybe I'm wrong. Both transmissions are apparently well proven. The ball joints, etc. on the PW are the same as the other 2500s so made for the extra 600-ish lbs of a diesel motor. That's got to be good for longevity, right? I've not had rust issues with my 2012 Ram since I take care of it. I'll fluid film the PW and keep it nice as well, so corrosion shouldn't be a concern.

Misc: PW is going to take longer to be delivered, per guesstimates. I'm ordering from Granger in Iowa either way, Ford or Ram, and they think they'd get the Tremor quicker. I'm not super worried about it, but if I could get it today I could get 2.5% interest at my credit union. I don't *have* to finance, but I think I want to at 2.5%. I just doubt that rate is still there in 6-9 months. Fuel costs aren't a huge concern, but 16mpg highway vs 20mpg highway but 87 octane vs 93 octane for best performance (you *can* use 87 in the Ford, you just lose power). Given the spread in per gallon costs, probably not that big a deal. Especially no more than I drive. Plates and insurance costs are pretty samey-same.

So, what'd I miss? Any compelling reason, other than wallet cramps, to not go with the PW?

Last edited:

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I’m not a ford guy, but both of my commissions were ford diesel powered. Found them to be great trucks. Never had a mechanical issue. And I ran the heck out of them, 4 sometimes 5 days a week, 12+ hrs. a day. The first one over 300,000 miles. When I retired, the second one was over 150,000 mi. Tuff call, good luck what ever you decide.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Flip a coin. Both are good. I don't think you can make bad choice. Personally, as a Ford fan since I was a kid, I'd probably pick the PW.

To get a bit nit-pickey, I'd bet the trans in the Ford would get to you after a bit knowing how good the PW trans is. I know it would bug me.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    *sigh* Can't be of any help here. Unfortunately, I've been priced out of the PU truck market for quite some time now. Used to exclusively drive PU's years ago. Mostly Chevy/GM though. I envy your predicament BBI. Based on everything you've presented I would probably lean towered the PW myself, but I don't think that helps much in saying so.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    GM guy here that over the last years ended up with two Ford trucks.
    One gas and one diesel, gas has 135,00 and the diesel twice that.
    Never had the desire to own a Dodge product. Enjoy your choice.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    As a Ford guy I would say Tremor but it looks like you have made your mind up with the PW. I have a 2018 5.0 10sp F150 and the trans is clunky, no getting around that. But I love how peppy it is and passing people on the interstate is fun.

I do worry about the longevity of the 3.5 with the turbos and everything. The question here is how long would you plan to keep it? If you are only going to keep it to 100k, I wouldn't worry about it.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    My last few vehicles have been Chrysler products. Others can speak to Ford issues if there are any.

Chrysler's supply chain for parts stinks. Go online and look up availability of common parts for both trucks. Check with a dealers service department. Twice I have had to get new OEM parts for my Ram Promaster City on the secondary market (eBay).

But, my 2017 Promaster City has 230,000 miles with regular maintenance.

I had a 2013 Dodge pickup before the PMC and loved it. Traded it for the PMC because the PMC was a much better for my work.

Good luck with your purchase and enjoy it for many years/miles.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Ford guy so biased. But you are comparing apples to oranges. Why not compare the PW to a F250 or F350? F150’s and 250’s are completely different vehicles. I have a 2016 F350 ordered new, 6.2, 4.3 rear end. Tow an 8000# camper, 65,000 miles on it. No issues. Comfortable to drive. No desire or need for a diesel. Guy on a Ford truck forum put 413,000 on his 6.2 before any issues, cam wore. He hauls pipe all day in Texas. And Dodge sucks. Chevy kind of suck.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I would personally never buy a HD truck unless I had a specific need for a HD truck. That being said, HD trucks today ride as well as half-tons 15-20 years ago.

I'm surprised by your evaluation of the 3.5 with 10 speed, I thought that combo was smooooth and I'm a GM guy. Forced induction has to build boost but I found it linear, though if you're a "hard on gas then lift" type driver I can see where big natural aspiration would feel better.

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    I'm a Dodge/Ram fan. I've had better Dodges than Fords but those were used and abused trucks. With what trucks are today I'd play one dealer against the other to get the best price and delivery time and enjoy whichever you buy.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Almost all our work trucks are dodge 3500's
    Lots of check engine lights, among other things.
    Had a dodge 1500 personal truck (bought used) about 50000 on it and the transmission started slipping. Personally won't buy another dodge, although I do like the looks of them.

CallSign Snafu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 3, 2015
    Indy
    I like the looks of the dodge vehicles truck mentioned above included. I have encountered too many mechanical issues with them to side with a dodge. I would get the ford, but I have also owned fords where the transmission was reliable, but felt like crap... Toyota tundra?

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I like the looks of the dodge vehicles truck mentioned above included. I have encountered too many mechanical issues with them to side with a dodge. I would get the ford, but I have also owned fords where the transmission was reliable, but felt like crap... Toyota tundra?
    I went Tundra in 2015. Love it still. 100K so far and no issues outside of regular maintenance stuff.

Before that I struggled with two separate GM lemons.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Get the Dodge. I doubt you really think anyone here is going to talk you out of it.

Our Dodge 2500 is now 16 years old. We had early issues breaking calipers, but that was resolved the last time they were replaced. It's been a great truck. Ours is a Cummins though.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Happy wife, happy life and all that acknowledged, but someone has to be the wet blanket so I guess I will raise my hand.

A new vehicle? Something that loses 40% of its value in the first five years? No thanks. You may as well throw a hundred dollar bill out the window every week while rolling down the highway.

Not something I would do personally, but I drink the Dave Ramsey Kool-aid so I pay cash for used vehicles only. The value of all things I own with motors and wheels needs to be less than half my annual income and I won't buy a new vehicle until I have a net worth of over a million. That's me.

I also get the argument that used trucks are almost the same price as new right now, but these are very unusual times.

OK. Flame suit on. :flamethrower:

ETA: I probably should acknowledge that I don't know the price of the truck, your net worth or income. If you're a net worth millionaire making big money annually then game on, get whatever you want.

Last edited:

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Happy wife, happy life and all that acknowledged, but someone has to be the wet blanket so I guess I will raise my hand.

A new vehicle? Something that loses 40% of its value in the first five years? No thanks. You may as well throw a hundred dollar bill out the window every week while rolling down the highway.

Not something I would do personally, but I drink the Dave Ramsey Kool-aid so I pay cash for used vehicles only. The value of all things I own with motors and wheels needs to be less than half my annual income and I won't buy a new vehicle until I have a net worth of over a million. That's me.

I also get the argument that used trucks are almost the same price as new right now, but these are very unusual times.

OK. Flame suit on. :flamethrower:
    You're not wrong.
    I bought new in 2015 but, I got 0% financing and paid it off in 3 years. I also couldn't find any used trucks I'd be happy driving indefinitely.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    To address a few points:

Brand loyalty is not an argument. Being a "Ford guy" doesn't tell me anything. Why is one objectively or subjectively better?

Why not compare the PW to a F250 or F350?

Because the PW doesn't compare to an F250. It's a factory build off roader and is a lousy selection for a dedicated tow rig. Because of the softer springs, the payload and max towing rate, on paper, is less than Ram's own 1/2 ton in similar configuration (V8, crew cab, numerically highest gear ratio):

PW: 1,630 / 10,590 lb
    Rebel: 1,810 / 11,210 lb
    Non-PW gas 2500: 3,250/ 17,080 (in the same 4x4 6'4" bed configuration, goes higher in other configurations)

I'm looking for off road capability and ride comfort, and the PW is much more comparable to the F-150 Tremor in those metrics.

As a Ford guy I would say Tremor but it looks like you have made your mind up with the PW. I have a 2018 5.0 10sp F150 and the trans is clunky, no getting around that. But I love how peppy it is and passing people on the interstate is fun.

I do worry about the longevity of the 3.5 with the turbos and everything. The question here is how long would you plan to keep it? If you are only going to keep it to 100k, I wouldn't worry about it.

The Ford is more of a sports car in a truck for sure. The acceleration and the single tank range have kept it in consideration. Absent theft or a crash, I hope to keep it 15+ years. I've had my current truck 10.5 years and am only getting rid of it to give to my son. Which is one reason I'm being so picky on getting everything I want, I don't flip vehicles very often so I want to get it right.

I would personally never buy a HD truck unless I had a specific need for a HD truck. That being said, HD trucks today ride as well as half-tons 15-20 years ago.

I'm surprised by your evaluation of the 3.5 with 10 speed, I thought that combo was smooooth and I'm a GM guy. Forced induction has to build boost but I found it linear, though if you're a "hard on gas then lift" type driver I can see where big natural aspiration would feel better.

See above on HD truck. The PW splits the difference in many ways and I found the ride *better* than the Ford F-150 and nearly as good as the 1/2 ton Ram.

The 3.5/10 is smooth under most conditions but it's easy to induce jerkiness or confuse the transmission, where as the 6.4/8 just knew what I wanted to do as I wanted to do it. No turbo to spool up, much less gear hunting, and smoother. It's not that the 3.5/10 is bad, it's just not as good.

Toyota tundra?

I haven't driven one. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to do so, but I'd need the TRD Pro for what I want to do and it's been tough to find. I had to drive about 90 minutes to find a PW. Times are strange.

Get the Dodge. I doubt you really think anyone here is going to talk you out of it.

Well, in another thread people told me I was already decided on the Raptor. No, I expect I'll stick with the PW but I have not made a final decision and am legitimately looking for input on if there's some consideration I've missed.

ETA: I probably should acknowledge that I don't know the price of the truck, your net worth or income. If you're a net worth millionaire making big money annually then game on, get whatever you want.

I bought my current truck new because the spread was so tight vs used. Today it's a little different, the spread is still about 10-12% but the entry price is higher so it's more money. I don't care about resale in 5 years because I'll drive it for 10-15 at least, and over the course of that time the difference in price is pretty negligible. My main reason for looking at used is I like the 75th anniversary package which, as the name implies, was only available on the 75th anniversary (2021). The brown/black interior looks nicer than the all black, IMO. She's normally so cheap she tenses up if I buy grapes when they aren't on sale, but she says I take better care of my things than anyone else so just start new and don't worry about how the last guy treated it. On the Tremor you pretty much have to buy new, used ones are *more* than MSRP due to scarcity.

On new I'm 3% under invoice on Ford, 5% under invoice on Ram. That makes them *very* competitive with late model used trucks due to the stupid market at the moment...which is the whole reason for giving my current truck to my son.

That said, I can pay cash. More to your point, buying or not buying either truck won't affect my standard of living, emergency fund, or retirement plans.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Sounds like you have your desired purchase parameters pretty well laid out. What I’m about to say probably won’t change your mind or affect your decision but I’ve got a few more minutes to kill this morning so what the heck.

A couple years ago, my old trusty rusty was nearing time for replacement. My youngest son was in the market for a truck and a dependable used truck was as rare as hen’s teeth. Min wasn’t pretty but it was pretty dependable especially for a young man just starting out. So too my wife green-lit the idea of replacing trusty rusty with a new one.

Being a GM retiree, we only buy GM trucks. My decision matrix was different than yours. It was v8 vs v6 vs diesel, long bed vs ‘standard bed’ vs short bed, trim level, color, etc. I wanted a 3/4 ton because you had to get that to get a full crew cab and a ‘standard’ sized bed. I knew I wanted the crew cab to comfortably carry passengers and in the half tons, that means you get the shortest bed GM makes. That was a deal breaker for me. So 3/4 ton was it.

In 2020 the full extent on how much the chip shortage had decimated the car lots wasn’t realized by me yet when I spotted the truck I wanted. The only problem(s) were it was a diesel and a 1-ton. I told her that‘s the one I want except I didn’t want the diesel and at that moment, I didn’t realize it was a 1-ton. I got to looking around and there was nothing else even close to what I wanted so I picked Bid Red.

I’d never had a diesel before but man, if you‘ve ever been driving down a road and think ‘I’m not sure I’ve got enough room to pass this slow poke’, in a turbo diesel: “Yes, you can”. :laugh:

The extra cost of diesel fuel is certainly a factor and the one ton truck is heavy. You can feel it when you go to jack it up. But the back seat area is massive and comfortable. It’s a bit stiffer than the half tons I’d been used to but it drives well. I love the long bed. I it’s come in really handy a few times— it a few times and it’s better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I typically average between 20 and 21 mpg with combined driving. It’s a big truck. A crew cab with a long bed? Yeah, you have to plan ahead when it comes to parking that thing. If you do a lot of city stuff and care about it getting dinged up, you‘ll find it a job to park. But I’m very happy with it and glad I got it.

5-Stars GMC.

Top Bottom