• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Farmer cut the beans on our lease today. We'll be out there for opening weekend but most likely will be putting out some traps and maybe doing a little calling for the coyotes. I really don't have any desire to kill a buck opening weekend, that'll make it harder to justify the three weeks I plan to stay at the farm come Halloween.

mrunnebo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Bloomington
    I've never hunted with a harness. As an ER doctor I should know better. I plan on getting one this year. Do you guys have any recommendations?

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I've never hunted with a harness. As an ER doctor I should know better. I plan on getting one this year. Do you guys have any recommendations?

Don't go cheap and get one that is comfortable so you will use it. My husband was lucky. He only broke 7 ribs and ruptured his spleen. The guy that arrived at the ER before him, fractured his spine and ended up paralyzed.

wildcatfan.62

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    South Bend
    Seconds on the Hunters Saftey System harness. A little more expense very comfortable (helps so you'll wear it) and cheap insurance.

Was out today with little Wildcatfan for the youth weekend. He bagged his first deer a doe at 21 yards from one of our natural ground blinds we put in 3 weeks ago. Had a nice 6 pointer in the group but the doe presented the first shot and she would have busted us had he waited. I could almost see my sons heart pounding thru his shirt. I'll never forget this father/son experience. Will post a picture of him soon. I'm heading out on Oct. 1 -my fingers were itching this morning......

Good luck to everyone this year -be safe.
    Wildcatfan.62

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I also like HSS. I have the cheapest model they had several years back. Just bought my wife a bare bones version a couple of years ago. I like hers better b/c there isn't any vest material, just the harness. I wear mine under my hunting clothes so I don't care about pockets and other extras.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    I like my harness under my outer layer as well. had a slit cut in the back of my coat, just a few inches below the collar to feed my lanyard through. I use those extra pockets on the harness to hold the XL hand warmers on the cold days.

I had a Gorilla harness before my HSS. It musta shrunk, one season it fit, the next season it didn't, probably a pasta related issue to be honest. :):
    All joking aside, it was a great harness, just wanted something a little fancier.

Last edited:

mrunnebo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Bloomington
    I went with the Hunter Safety Bowhunter Harness. I have several stands I hunt in and would like to leave a tree strap in every stand. Where do you guys get your tree straps? How much are you paying for them. I have found some extras but it seems like they cast about $30 apiece. That is going to get rather expensive. Is there a cheaper alternative?

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    A cheaper solution is to forget the tree straps all together since they're so cost prohibitive and get some rope and make prusik knots with a safety rope for each stand. These are great for hang on stands.
    There are plenty of you tube vids that can explain it better than I can with a keyboard, and it's quite easy.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I used to use the HSS harness but last year I changed to a Black Diamond Vario speed harness (rock climbing harness) and I won't be going back.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    You can get a 3-pack of the quick connect tree straps with carabiner at gander for 49.99. I have a couple from the vests I have and they do go up quick and the built in carabiner is nice to clip into. I switched though to a lifeline style system. I clip in at the base of my stand and move the prusik knot up the tree as I climb. When I get to the top I am already strapped in and unpack and ready to go.

mrunnebo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Bloomington
    Went with a Hunter Safety Harness and love it. I also found some synthetic camo rope at Rural King with a safe working limit of 250 pounds for way cheaper than the prefab life-lines. I just cut a couple feet off to make a prussic knot to clip onto.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Went with a Hunter Safety Harness and love it. I also found some synthetic camo rope at Rural King with a safe working limit of 250 pounds for way cheaper than the prefab life-lines. I just cut a couple feet off to make a prussic knot to clip onto.

Be careful with your choice of rope for a safety line. I don't know anything about rope particularly but I know that you want static line as opposed to dynamic line. A man can put thousands of pounds of pressure on a line in a fall. Also, be careful about the typed of rope and the size of rope you use for your prussic line.

That's about all I can say based on my very limited knowledge of rope. That is why I use pre-made lines from a company with an insurance policy. If my line breaks in a fall then I want my lawyers talking to their lawyers rather than telling my lawyers that I made my own life line.

Glad to hear that you are using the lifelines though. The stories are starting to hit the papers of hunters falling from their stands now that hunting season has started.

Top Bottom