• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Stands are set but clothes are not washed and I have not practiced yet. Sunday I will be shooting. Really hope everything is still sighted in. Every year, the sights are right on and I have been good out to 40 yards first time. 50 yards I have a little problem the first time as my arms and shoulders get a little tired trying to hold for a period of time as I have already gone through shooting at 20, 30, & 40 and I always practice holding on target for a 20 count for each arrow. 20 may not seem like long but it seems like an eternity up in the tree.

I will be out on the second so save a few deer for me

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Need to organize my clothes gear still, but that should only take me an hour or so. Will probably do it this weekend. Bow is shooting great right now. Hope the weather starts to cooperate or the first week or two of the season will be hot and muggy.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Might wander to Winamac this weekend, drag bag target and some rimfires, hit the archery and gun ranges.
    I already have my bow tuned (paper). Bare shaft and reg, showed same. No probs with BH flight.
    Just need to verify sight pictures at 25 and 30 yards.
    Taking it easy since I pinched something, seems healed..........should be good to go.
    Think I shoulda kept my HS58 60# Blackwidow........this HF1225 is OK................but damn if that HS didn't want to shoot by itself.
    Mass, grip...............it just laid 'em in there.
    Need to find a last run FF rated 50# version with radiused shelf. Nobody wants to sell them :(

Just wash my gear and am good to go.
    One stand still out. Others in same woods (we have 5, but one is my most used).
    Have 2 others to hang as needed. I often move stands during season.

Youth season this weekend? Dunno what Winamac does for that. Not going to possibly jack a kids hunt by hanging a stand.
    Will do sometime in middle of week.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I'm ready. I had shoulder surgery last December, but I can draw the bow now, at least with a T-shirt on. That might be a different story when it gets cold. I'll be ready on October 1st, but I don't like to hunt until the temps get down in the lower 40s or less. I don't like shooting a deer in warmer weather because then your fighting the clock to dress it out, can't let it hang, flies, etc...

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Might wander to Winamac this weekend, drag bag target and some rimfires, hit the archery and gun ranges.
    I already have my bow tuned (paper). Bare shaft and reg, showed same. No probs with BH flight.
    Just need to verify sight pictures at 25 and 30 yards.
    Taking it easy since I pinched something, seems healed..........should be good to go.
    Think I shoulda kept my HS58 60# Blackwidow........this HF1225 is OK................but damn if that HS didn't want to shoot by itself.
    Mass, grip...............it just laid 'em in there.
    Need to find a last run FF rated 50# version with radiused shelf. Nobody wants to sell them :(

Just wash my gear and am good to go.
    One stand still out. Others in same woods (we have 5, but one is my most used).
    Have 2 others to hang as needed. I often move stands during season.

Youth season this weekend? Dunno what Winamac does for that. Not going to possibly jack a kids hunt by hanging a stand.
    Will do sometime in middle of week.

I hunt Winamac also. Yes, I am pretty sure youth season is on this weekend.

Tynimiller

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Osceola
    Stands were 90% up in July, been shooting my broadheads for about a month or so never more than 1 at a time and patiently fighting the urge to check all the cams up every day :D

JMWetzel89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I got hurt at work about 5 weeks ago, I was really worried I wouldn't make bow season. I was practicing before but had to take a month off. Luckily I got the all clear from the doctors and started again yesterday and verified all my pins out to 80 yards today. Washing the clothes tonight, stands have been hung, bought a new range finder. Now I just have to wait.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Wear your harness guys! Everyone says they won't fall, but it can happen to anyone. My husband used to say he would never fall but a heart attack in the stand showed him otherwise. He lived to tell the story and recovered from his injuries, but not everyone is as lucky. Be safe out there!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm ready but we don't do much until Halloween. We might go out a weekend or two and hunt the afternoons in our less likely stands but that'll be about it.

We just got back from hunting elk in KY at 3am this morning. Four days of heat and precious little activity. It was about like trying to hunt turkey when they aren't gobbling. We're planning to go back down mid October so that's what I'm really fired up about at the moment. They should be bugling like crazy then.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I am ready but won't get to go out til Saturday morning. Since getting married a couple of years ago my wife goes about as much as I do in the early season. I let her think I'm sacrificing time in the woods during the week so she can go. That just gives me the chance to hunt more the end of October and first part of November!

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    My daughter and I put up a stand for her last weekend. My 1st priority is to get her a deer early on before things get way to cold for her to sit all day. I just want her to get one. Then I will concentrate on me.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Been shooting my bow about every other week since last deer season, stands are still up from last season went and checked on them about a month ago all is well, but won't step foot in the woods till around Halloween same as PDOG.... I hate to get my scent around till the hunting starts to get good...Will prob. do a little yote hunt'n soon as the beans come off though... As mom said please wear your safety harnesses, I never wore one for 25yrs and a buddy told me I need to start wearing one and that season I fell out of a tree and lucky for me I had one on... Went out that day and bought a hunter safety system and have wore it ever since.... Good luck to all !!!!

gun_nut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Haubstadt. IN
    Cleaned shooting lanes in June/July, Hung trail cameras... should be good to go. I put out some hanging ropes (looped with the ends unraveled and bushy) at both of my hunting sites. The ropes are hanging at just around deer head level and liberally doused with rack rub. I have (in the past) had good luck with the deer visiting the ropes (kinda as a check in sign post), and rubbing on the ropes. The more deer visit the ropes (and rub their heads on it) the more it seems to draw them in.
    I still need to get my clothes washed and pack organized. I pack in a Summit Viper TS where I hunt. I plan on taking the first and second off to hopefully get some does (and get the need for meat out of the equation). If I have any trail cam pictures of the deer working the ropes, I will post.

GN

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Been hunting from treestands for over 30 yrs.
    Will admit, a few times without a safety belt (forgot it or left it at another treestand).
    You can count the number of times on one hand.
    I don't get how folks just blow it off.

Without a safety belt/harness............so spooked I couldn't concentrate on the hunting.

Learned long ago to wear the belt............but keep attachment pcs at each stand.
    I can click in before I even step onto the stand platform.
    Wearing the belt from the exit of truck...........it's always on the checklist, and hasn't been forgotten since.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have shot a few deer opening day/weekend.
    Tends to make for a hurried evening.
    Dunno if I'll go opening day, let alone opening weekend.
    I missed the opener for my sister's wedding yrs ago........so with the opening day ritual ruined, haven't really stuck with it.
    I'd rather miss the 1st week of October than 1st week of November!

Top Bottom