• Status
    Not open for further replies.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Imagine one miscommunication "(click of PA system) Attention thousands of shoppers in a rather small enclosed area. A group of armed men has entered the mall. Please proceed calmly to the closest exit. Again, armed men have entered the mall."

What would you do if you were there with your wife or kids?

At that point what would you do as a group, yell "it's ok we organized on a website!" and wave your LTCH around?

If mall security chooses to announce it over the PA wouldn't they be creating a panic, I'm not gonna be doing anything but window shopping and enjoying the company of friends.

If that scenario happens I will be sure to say I planned it on HGC:D

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    OP UPDATED, new meeting place because the circle will close at 11 that day

Meet south of the State House on Wahington St. between Capitol and Senate

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I think there's definitely the potential of going down poorly, but there is also the potential to be an uneventful day resulting in lots of people being educated or updated on Indiana's laws. I think (opinion) that it will have a lot to do with the way the people who attend conduct themselves and on the [unpredictable] way that the public and LEOs may respond.

:buddies: Here's to hoping it all goes smoothly!

I'm not the organizer of this, of course, but maybe think about some indicators that might be used to measure success when reporting this afterwards. Each person could try to keep track of how many of ATF Consumer's papers are distributed; how many people walk up to talk and either don't know anything about guns, didn't know OC was legal, are gun people but think OC is unwise, or thank you for standing up for our rights; and of course make notes of police or security interactions. Then when each person reports it, somebody can aggregate it into a nice spreadsheet (shoot, I'd volunteer to do that part once everybody reports their findings) so we can have some kind of evidence to support our claims of "it was a success!"

And of course, everybody who is carrying should be prepared to record any encounters. Carrying an audio recorder, or making sure that your phone can do that, would be good. Those who choose to CC may be able to distance themselves from the OC'ers who get ATF-Consumer'd and record video and take photos.

:twocents: I really want this to go well!

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    I really like the statistics idea...if we can come up with some type of survey we could ask individuals of their thoughts and what they are and are not aware of...may be a positive to get public opinion other than the ones on this board.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    i hope this goes well, i like the idea, but i do not think this is a good step in the overall goal.

legal? yes. great idea? (black friday?) who knows. soccer moms with kids, older kids being dumb...

is window shopping really the best way to get people to talk to you? i see flaws with this plan though legal, i see flaws.

best of luck, i doubt ill be downtown that day, but if i am ill say hi.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Maybe its just me but I think the negative feedback from people that don't plan on attending isn't necessary, and besides, the constitution doesn't say "shall not be infringed except on black Friday"

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Maybe its just me but I think the negative feedback from people that don't plan on attending isn't necessary, and besides, the constitution doesn't say "shall not be infringed except on black Friday"

Actually, I agree.

The people who think this is ill advised <myself included> should post in Que's debate thread, and leave this one to the people who are attending.

Otherwise, it really is a threadjack, and raining on their parade.

Opinions were asked for in that thread, and havent been here.

Duncan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2010
    South of Indy
    i oc in every simon mall i have ever been to and never had any issues (mounds mall, hamilton town center, castelton, and even the fashion mall @ 86th and keystone) in fact i don't think i have ever even seen a no firearms sign.

Several years ago at castelton I was asked to leave when a clerk saw my sidearm , it flashed from under my coat .. long story short I was asked to leave ... I did .
    Also years ago Stan Solomon a talk show host that was broadcasting from an office on the circle .. he went to eat at the CC mall . Glock open display .
    The manager literally was screaming at him to leave making a spectacle ... side note he always dressed in shirt and tie ...
    So unless things have changed ... they will ask you to leave ...
    IF this outing is going to take place I think that an eatery etc. should be found out a head of time that is sidearm friendly ... Thanks Duncan

Duncan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2010
    South of Indy
    Ok, I get that you guys just want to spread awareness and get people comfortable with seeing firearms around, etc.... but let me be the voice of reason for a second. This is the day after Thanksgiving. Black Friday. Everyone and their brother will be out shopping, and having worked retail for the last 17 years, let me tell you that every single retailer will have their eyes peeled for anyone that looks like they might even cause a LITTLE bit of trouble. There WILL be extra security. There WILL be more of a police presence. There WILL be a confrontation, polite or not remains to be seen.

IF you do this, PLEASE keep that in mind. PLEASE keep your cool and your tempers down. WHEN you are asked to leave the mall, PLEASE do so without confrontation. People are already going to be cranky from getting up too early, being around too many people, and endlessly long lines. And that's just the retail workers; that doesn't take into account the people who are out shopping and think only cops and military should have guns, and even THAT should be restricted (in their eyes). Nerves are going to be pulled taught that day, and seeing a bunch of guys toting around long guns on the circle isn't exactly going to ease their minds.

By the way, in response to an earlier post, I don't know about Mounds Mall, but the signs are most certainly posted at Hamilton Town Center, Circle Center, Keystone, and Castleton.

My penny.

I too have a lot of retail experience ... they other thing that goes on in the holiday season ... STERESS ... people short of time ... and retailers overwhelmed with too much to do ...
    Thanks
    Duncan

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Several years ago at castelton I was asked to leave when a clerk saw my sidearm , it flashed from under my coat .. long story short I was asked to leave ... I did .
    Also years ago Stan Solomon a talk show host that was broadcasting from an office on the circle .. he went to eat at the CC mall . Glock open display .
    The manager literally was screaming at him to leave making a spectacle ... side note he always dressed in shirt and tie ...
    So unless things have changed ... they will ask you to leave ...
    IF this outing is going to take place I think that an eatery etc. should be found out a head of time that is sidearm friendly ... Thanks Duncan

Dick's BBQ is constitutional rights friendly...that's where we ate last time when we were originally going to eat at City Market.

Duncan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2010
    South of Indy
    I should not say this ... If you wan to make a splash and do and in and out quickly ... Go to the Apple store in Castelton ... Apple has the highest foot traffic per SQ . ft of any store in the mall ... the young kids that work there would be bewildered .. it's close to a mall entrance ... you could go in stand for 3 to 5 min .... and get out before they could call and get security ...
    Why did I print this now they will want to do it ...:dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno:

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I'm downtown now and headed to Dick's BBQ soon, I'm at the mall looking for signs haven't seen any code of conduct signs at any of the entrances I went in

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The most I can see happening is we get our rights violated again and only build a stronger case for us. I for one am not afraid to stand up for the rights our forefathers gave blood for.:patriot:

Carrying guns around the mall equated to the forefathers?? What they gave their blood for? Seriously?

As others have said, seriously think about the benefit to risk ratio. IMO shock tactics on a day like black Friday will result in further restrictions and less rights before if "educates" the sheeple.

To each their own.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom