• Status
    Not open for further replies.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    1100 lbs! Holy ****. Little wimp guy like me would get flattened. Heck, my 60 lb electric bike flipped me and broke my hand! Maybe I need to hit the gym. :@ya:

tipped it over one time, its quite the challenge to pick it up again by yourself. It's funny, I can get on my 650lb dyna wide glide and it feels like a dirt bike in comparison now :lmfao:

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    My uncle dropped his full dress Harley (idk what kind) in the driveway at his house once when I lived there and it took both of us to get it back up.

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    I had a picture from like 06 when the guy across the street dropped his bagger over his curb. He was standing there hands on hips staring at it... I wish I could find that picture

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Good morning everyone,

I didn't know that there are a few motorcycle owners here. I'm looking to get my first bike.

What are some recommendations? I'm 6' 5" and just want one to drive to work and back. My budget is between 5k-10k.

I'm taking the course in Crown Point over the summer
    Honda is reliable, reasonably priced, but at 6'5" you are going to find most bikes small.

I have an NC750x, it is a really easy bike to ride. Some bikes are more of a chore, hard to deal with in parking lots, but great on the highways. The NC750x is pretty much a commuter bike. I got the new DCT transmission and love it.

For a first bike I would STRONGLY RECOMMEND that whatever you get, get one with ABS brakes. Accident statistics don't lie, you want/need ABS brakes on a bike.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Unleaded is $4.59 right now at the Family Express near the Lake Co. Fairgrounds. Drove all the way to Munster today and didn't see anything less than $4.75.

B40B

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2020
    Valparaiso
    My Subaru gets 30mpg at 65, 25mpg at 80+ and 22 around town. I can also throw 1000 pounds of paper in it and take off for the next county or the next country. The little 4 cylinder Turbo is fun to drive. It hauls all my gear when I head down to the woods, it's natural environment. :)

View attachment 199871

View attachment 199872

Were you South of Valpo today running down Division to Sturdy? Saw a very similar vehicle with a couple pretty of funny stickers across the back.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Good morning everyone,

I didn't know that there are a few motorcycle owners here. I'm looking to get my first bike.

What are some recommendations? I'm 6' 5" and just want one to drive to work and back. My budget is between 5k-10k.

I did the same thing about 24 years ago, got a new bike and took the Crown Point class. Getting your first bike and learning to ride is exciting. My buddy at work rode and we used to stop at B&E Honda at lunch so he could get parts or accessories. I started looking at them a lot and when my wife didn't protest, I bought a '98 Honda Shadow. Traded up to a bigger Yamaha Road Star a few years later and then had a couple of HDs over the years. I recently decided to give it up and sold my Street Glide just this past weekend to the same guy who got me started riding 24 years ago. I'll use the money for more guns and/or to start a new hobby.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    tipped it over one time, its quite the challenge to pick it up again by yourself. It's funny, I can get on my 650lb dyna wide glide and it feels like a dirt bike in comparison now :lmfao:
    I dropped my Street Glide on a trip in southern Indiana. I knew the technique for lifting it by myself but my two buddies were riding with me and we just grabbed on and muscled it up. The bike got a few minor scuffs but not near as much as my pride and my dignity.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    Good morning everyone,

fwiw, the class is no longer in CP, it's at the operators union hall in merrillville now.

what kind of bike are you thinking? zip n splat? cruiser? dual sport?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    what kind of bike are you thinking? zip n splat? cruiser? dual sport?
    :lol2::lol2::lol2:

Never heard that one.

FWIW, buddy of mine is laying in a hospital bed in Crown Point tonight. Surgery to put his left leg back together was yesterday. They will put his left arm back together on Monday. He was on his Janus. Its a handmade bike built in Mishawaka, little 250cc engine. He was on a side street, low speed... heard some strange noise, turned to look back and rode into a street sign. The Janus is a classic naked design, but I guess it qualified as a zip n splat bike the other day.

1 vehicle accident. Most motorcycle accidents are 1 vehicle accidents.

ABS brakes have been put on many mid and upper ranged bikes commonly starting in the early mid-2010s. We have lots of crash data available now. People with ABS equipped bikes tend to crash less often and, when they do crash they tend to be less injured. Now commonly an option on lower end bikes too.

I credit ABS to me not crashing one night when a whitetail literally jumped over my front wheel, grazed my windshield. I saw it coming and grabbed hard on the front & stood on the rear brake but never skidded or lost control. Almost s#!t my pants but kept the bike upright and rode home shaken. Most older or less modern bikes that would have been a "I had to lay it down" moment, and those often end up with injuries, deaths, and trashed bikes.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom