• Status
    Not open for further replies.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I heard somewhere a while back that a significant portion of riders don't even use the rear brake. You can navigate a lot of stop signs and heavy traffic without ever taking your foot off the pegs if you learn to use the rear brake, and sometimes a little timing.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    :lol2::lol2::lol2:

Never heard that one.

FWIW, buddy of mine is laying in a hospital bed in Crown Point tonight. Surgery to put his left leg back together was yesterday. They will put his left arm back together on Monday. He was on his Janus. Its a handmade bike built in Mishawaka, little 250cc engine. He was on a side street, low speed... heard some strange noise, turned to look back and rode into a street sign. The Janus is a classic naked design, but I guess it qualified as a zip n splat bike the other day.

1 vehicle accident. Most motorcycle accidents are 1 vehicle accidents.

ABS brakes have been put on many mid and upper ranged bikes commonly starting in the early mid-2010s. We have lots of crash data available now. People with ABS equipped bikes tend to crash less often and, when they do crash they tend to be less injured. Now commonly an option on lower end bikes too.

I credit ABS to me not crashing one night when a whitetail literally jumped over my front wheel, grazed my windshield. I saw it coming and grabbed hard on the front & stood on the rear brake but never skidded or lost control. Almost s#!t my pants but kept the bike upright and rode home shaken. Most older or less modern bikes that would have been a "I had to lay it down" moment, and those often end up with injuries, deaths, and trashed bikes.
    My most recent bike was equipped with ABS. Though I can't recall a specific moment where it saved me from harm, it gave me more confidence to brake firmly when needed. On my previous bikes, I had a bit of fear about wheel lockups and skids and tended to under brake in certain situations.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    I heard somewhere a while back that a significant portion of riders don't even use the rear brake. You can navigate a lot of stop signs and heavy traffic without ever taking your foot off the pegs if you learn to use the rear brake, and sometimes a little timing.
    That’s crazy, rear brake 70% or more for normal stops, much easier to control. My fronts are linked to the rears but only after a fair amount of pressure has been applied. I replaced rear pads at 18k miles and my fronts are well over 50% remaining. Again, 1100 lb bike and we’re two up a LOT

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I dont know much about bikes. Probably a dual sport. The other two are probably beyond my budget
    Commuter/light ADV-Touring, 750cc. This is my wife's bike. She has taken this through 10 states, 1/2 way across Canada, but never ridden it to a Starbucks!

About $9999.99 fully loaded with all options, new. Hers is a slightly older model (2016), but still very well equipped, ABS, with the DCT transmission, added side luggage cases, etc. Similar lightly used can be found for about $5000-to-7500.00 depending on year/options/miles.

tempImageenH7OE.jpg

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    ABS wouldn't of helped me when the vehicle turned in front of me as I was going 40 on a 08 vulcan and had 5 seconds to make a slight left lean. Debating whether to buy a Chieftain, Road Glide or stick with Kawasaki and get a Vaquero with any settlement I may get.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    ABS wouldn't of helped me when the vehicle turned in front of me as I was going 40 on a 08 vulcan and had 5 seconds to make a slight left lean. Debating whether to buy a Chieftain, Road Glide or stick with Kawasaki and get a Vaquero with any settlement I may get.
    How are things in your neck of the woods?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    To cite 1 specific instance out of thousands is contrary to factual evidence. Certainly there are exceptions, there always have been and always will be. But for the vast majority of riders and the vast majority of accidents, ABS is proven to reduce accidents and severity of accidents.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    My Shadow Spirit didn't have ABS and it wouldn't have helped me in my accident anyway as both witnesses stated I didn't have time to react.

That said, both bikes since then have had it and I can't see myself buying one without it.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    How are things in your neck of the woods?
    So far so good. Still waiting for her to stop dragging her feet especially since the house needs to go up for sale and she needs to get off the free ride bus. Supposed to have a settlement conference in a few weeks but a judge will probably decides who gets what as shes a narcissistic petty woman who wants control even with the kids.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    So far so good. Still waiting for her to stop dragging her feet especially since the house needs to go up for sale and she needs to get off the free ride bus. Supposed to have a settlement conference in a few weeks but a judge will probably decides who gets what as shes a narcissistic petty woman who wants control even with the kids.
    All things will come in time. Just be the better man and hold your head high.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom