• Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    01:27 - Day 9

Copyright, Icarry2, WDY Media

Getting out of the humvee I knew I had just made a deal with the devil once more. Do what I had to to ensure my families safety and security. Tucking the folder under my arm I decided to go back to the hospital.

I walked inside and spoke with Mr. Grey before I grabbed my rifle, a bottle of water and the keys to the truck.

On the way to the hospital I could see things were starting to become more tense as I passed a convoy of humvees and troop trucks heading North.

I contemplated how Thomas was doing, and what Trisha would say when you told her what you agreed to do for the Colonel.. She won’t like it. But it’s for the greater good.

45Cat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Ah yes, the greater good. What a fine justifer for mayhem & murder!

Been there, done that, and I'm still choking on the T-shirt.

Cat

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    01:44 - Day 9

Nearing the Hospital I was slowed by a back up of cars near the North side of the Hostpital. People were being stopped and diverted either East or West.

As I pulled up to the road block of two Humvees and about half a dozen guardsmen with rifles at the ready a private stepped up to my drivers window.

Yes Private I called out, What’s your business at the hospital? He replied. My wife and son are there, my son just had an emergency apendecimy. What room is he in? the private asked. I don’t know, he was just going in surgery when I left. I see says the Private.. Well we will have to verify this and turned to walk away, curious as to why he did not ask for any names or other information you realize he is probably just stalling for them to verify my plates.

PRIVATE, I called out, as the private stopped and turned around I pulled out my ID and flipped it open to where he could see it. The private walked over and grabbed the ID and motioned for a radio. As you watch the young, inexperienced private execute his duties to stop and question all cars you notice his demeanor change and he rushes over and hands back my ID and apologizes motioning for the one Humvee to move to let me though. Let him through he called out, DOD on important business.

Having not heard or seen this kind of treatment for a while I pulled through the blockade and smiled, sometimes, membership has it’s privileges..

mrtdrew

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 22, 2011
    NW Indy
    same thing i do every time the power is out or something shady seems to be happening put on my handgun and grab a flashlight if the power is out and wait to see what happens

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Sorry guys, the story has come to a fork in the road so to speak and I am writing both sides, then in a few days I will post which direction I think it should go..

Oh and I also have a full time job, my own company, plus kids, family, preps to work on, the other short story to write and some other irons in the fire. lol

Sorry,

TJ

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    01:44 - Day 9

On arriving at the hospital I notice a commotion at the ER entrance. Not wanting to deal with that I walked in the main entrance. Having no idea if the guardsman at the road block radioed ahead I pulled my ID and showed it to the guardsman at the entrance, they didn’t even take the time to really look at the ID and the security guard for the hospital sitting behind the desk was more worried about watching the monitors which more than likely were trained on the chaos at the ER entrance.

As I walked off the elevator there was another guardsman at the end of the hallway who put his hand up and asked who I was there to see.

I simply showed him my ID and he waved me on by not even giving a second thought to the fact that I was carrying a rifle and wearing gear that had big DOD letters on it..

At the nurses station I asked for Thomas’s room number, a cute little nurse looked on the computer verified on a written listing next to the keyboard then looked up at me and said he wasn’t out of recovery yet but that if I wanted to wait outside the recovery waiting room it was down the hall to the right, just look for the sign she commented as I had already started walking to the room.

As I walked down the hallway I noticed the Doctor walking out of the waiting room, I walked in to see Trisha with her head in her hands sitting down with her elbows on her knees. I walked up and crouched down beside her and asked if Thomas was ok. She looked up at me with a look of relief on her face and nodded yes, the surgery went well, they did a scope job on him so there wouldn’t be a large incision to worry about getting infected. She lunged at me and hugged me whispering “I love you” and thanking me for checking on the girls. “how are the girls?” I said they are fine and asked when we could see Thomas, she said they would be moving him to a room on the 4th floor for observation and if he can eat and has a regular BM then he can be released after the mandatory post op wait.

I looked at my watch, 02:07..

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    02:12 - Day 9

Policing up all of Trishas stuff we walked out of the waiting room and back towards the elevators. Trisha asked if the power was on or off at home, I replied it could be, it comes and goes. She commented that it would be nice to know what is going on to which I snickered and replied that I needed to talk to her about that.

She knew by the tone of my voice that it wasn’t good no matter how I tried to keep the tone light.

We walked out of the elevator on the 4th floor and the guardsman simply waved us by. The older grey haired nurse at the desk must have figured out who we were and asked, here to see Thomas? Yes Trisha said, what room is he in. The nurse looked at the sheet next to the computer and said he is being settled in room 4432, around the left, down the hall and on the right.

As we walked around the corner a couple of orderlies, one pushing a gurney were coming out of the room and standing at the doorway was a soldier. As we approached he took up a defensive position in front of the door.

Once we were within a few feet of the door he snapped to and stepped out of the way, Trisha turned and looked at me and as we walked into the room said what is going on?

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    02:12 - Day 9

Quietly we walked in the room, the lights were dimmed and a nurse was standing beside the bed checking Thomas’s vitals. She smiled and tried to assure Trisha that he was going to be fine, “he will be in and out for about an hour” just make sure he knows you’re here, talk to him, let him know you’re here.

Trisha took the boys hand being careful of the IV tube that was in the back of his hand and the other that was in his arm.

As she brushed his hair to the side of his forehead she whispered to him, telling him that she was there, that he should rest, that he is going to be fine and that we all would all be going home soon.

I slid a chair over next to the bed for her to sit down, once she got comfortable in the chair she looked up at me and while looking at the door and the soldier standing outside of it and asked “so whats up?”

Top Bottom