• Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    04:05 - Day 9

Copyright, Icarry2, WDY Media

Thomas was awake and giggly form the pain meds that were giving him. He was starving and kept asking if he could eat something. The Nurse had only let him have some water, ice chips and had promised him some jello, something he really loved, and with his stomach grumbling he was still not going to be happy until he was full and some jello wouldn’t do it.

As I turn and see Trisha asleep in the reclining chair the nurse had brought in for her an orderly came in with a different nurse and asked Thomas if he was ready to go. “GO?” he asked… I turned and asked “go where?” to which the nurse responded to his room, he is being moved to a regular room one floor down for the rest of his stay.

Thomas asked the nurse if there would be some food in it for him, always the smooth talker Thomas and his charm had sweet talked many a woman, girl or older lady in his short time as a young man aware of his talent.

The nurse smiled and replied that if he was good that she could surly talk the cafeteria into something even though it was before they started cooking breakfast.

Thomas winked at the nurse, looked at me and said better wake Mom, we got’s to go..

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    04:15 - Day 9

Acting like he had no cares in the world Thomas had helped the nurse and orderly get him into the wheel chair and roll out the door as I tried to gently wake Trisha and as she opened her beautiful eyes and smiled at me she said the doctor said Thomas would be fine.

As she sat up she noticed the empty bed and nearly stood straight up. “Thomas!!” she exclaimed.. Looking back at me I said he is fine, they are moving him to a regular room. She sat back down and almost erupted in tears.

I knelt in front of her, pulling her tight and hugging her as I whispered in her ear, It’s all ok baby, he is fine, the girls are fine, we will be fine. As she sat back I wiped her tears and kissed her. As she kissed me back I stopped and with her face in my hands told her, I need to talk to you.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    princess_bride.jpg

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    04:32 - Day 9

Thomas was sitting up in the bed in the new room when Trisha and I walked in, my arm around her, hers around my back. She looked at me as I pulled the chair beside the bed out for her to sit.

As Trisha sat down, holding tightly onto my hand the nurse walked in with a tray. Thomas smiled and beamed with excitement as the tray was placed in front of him.

Trisha looked up at the nurse, her mind still distracted by our conversation and with a puzzled tone asked “what’s this?” to which the nurse replied, breakfast. Trisha looked at her watch and then realized she had no idea what time it was.

As the nurse pulled the round cover off of the plate in the middle of the tray she winked at Thomas and said eat slowly, chew your food good and that she would be back to check on him in a few minutes.

As she walked by I thanked her for her help, she simply nodded and said take care of them, I will be back.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    04:45 - Day 9

As if he hadn’t eaten in weeks Thomas had devoured the three pancakes and cup of fruit and gulped the glass of chocolate milk and was forced to wash the last of the food down with water from the pitcher on the movable table.

Trisha had asked and asked again how he was doing, she could not believe the change in him since before surgery to now.

He smiled and looked his mother straight in the eye and with a calm and even tone answered, I am fine mother, takes more than a little appendicitis to slow me down.. His confidence brought tears to his mothers eyes as she gripped my hand tighter, I told her the same thing, we will be fine my love, we will be fine..

SOCOM242

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    I would check both my cell and land line phones. If they were down I would grab a flashlight and look outside, noting any out-of-place sounds, fires, etc. Heading back inside I would probably then sit down and wait for a while to see if anything happens (power comes back on, sirens, etc.).

Maybe this is just me, but one of the first things I always do as well when the power goes out, tornado is coming, etc. is to get fully dressed (w/ shoes on) and grab my wallet.

With the doors locked and the power out I would probably then just go to bed and see what I find in the morning.

SOCOM242

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Good grief, I didn't realize this was a full-blown story thread! Sorry for my previous post, I was simply answering the question posed on the first page.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    08:43 - Day 9

I returned from the cafeteria with a box of food for Trisha who refused to leave her son’s side as the doctor walked up to the room. The doctor seemed irritated in having to show the guardsman outside Thomas’s room his credentials and was forced to stop and look the guardsman in the eye. As the guardsman simply nodded to me as I walked in the room the doctor was reviewing Thomas’s chart and said that if the next round of tests showed the same improvement that Thomas would probable be able to go home in the evening.

Handing the food to Trisha she thanked the doctor and Thomas simply replied “thanks doc, can I get some more to eat?” and after looking on one of the pages of the chart he replied to Thomas that he would let the nurse know what he could eat. Thomas replied “great, more room service, just like in a fancy hotel..” to which the doctor snickered at his comedic comment showing the first real humanity in his bedside manner. The doctor looked at Trisha and said he will be fine and as he put the chart back in the holder by the door said simply that he would be back to check on Thomas later and walked out of the room.

Trisha opened the foam cafeteria box and sat back to eat. I handed her a large coffee and she seemed to be less worried as she sat back and ate a little. As she had put the third or forth bite in her mouth before Thomas started asking if he could have some. She smiled and said the nurse will be in soon to see about something for you hunny, you need to take it slow, you haven’t hardly eaten anything in days.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    09:32 - Day 9

Trisha sat back after eating and had started to doze off, Thomas was conversing, well flirting with the cute young nurse who had brought in a menu for him to order from. I watched him ask for help clarifying if he could have something as he pointed to the menu drawing her in closer to him so he could peer down her shirt. Some “v-neck” scrubs left him an oppourunity to investigate cleavage as he was becoming a spry young man. I had to laugh quietly as I watched him work his magic. After they settled on a meal and the cute nurse walked out of the room I sort of dropped my brow and gave him that “you know better” look to which he replied “what?” We giggled and as I stood up to stretch my legs he sort of hinted to the perkiness of the nurses build.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    11:05 - Day 9

Trisha had stretched out and gotten some rest. As she woke up she was saying the girls, the girls. I walked over to her, holding her hand as she sat up and told her the girls were fine.

With having just woken from what must have been a disturbing dream she asked me how did I know the girls were fine. I told her, trust me, they are fine.

“Thomas?” she blurted out standing up and nearly falling over into me, as I sat her back in the chair, her legs weak from the uncomfortable position she was sleeping in almost gave out as she stood. As she sat down, I explained that they had taken Thomas for a CT scan to make sure everything was ok. She looked up to me and said what are we going to do? In the most calm and supportive way I could I told her we are going to be fine, once Thomas gets released that we would go home, settle in and get a good nights rest.

“Then what?” she asked. “When are you leaving?” She dreaded the answer, I simply said soon, maybe in a few days. Once everything is ok with Thomas.

She took my hand tight and said “I know you will come back to us but I just hope we wil be ok while your gone.” As I knelt down beside her and with my left hand brushing her hair behind her ear I looked her in the eye and explained the plan and what it meant.

As we held each other the time stopped, our minds, hearts and bodies were transported back to some memories of our first few days together, we reminded each other of the fun, laughs and passion we shared. With a smile on her face Trisha looked at me, kissed me and said I love you.. Things were going to be crazy for a while but eventually she knew it would be ok and things would be better, more normal..

A clearing throat brought me back to the present, as the guardsman standing at the door announced I had visitors.

I stood up as the guardsman opened the door all the way and I couldn’t believe what I saw next.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    11:15 - Day 9

Once I gained my footing I could not believe who walked in. It was Mary and Shelly who ran in and smothered their mother with hugs and kisses and as I stood there obviously in shock Mr. Grey rounded the corner and walked into the room. As he nodded at me to step out into the hallway I was almost knocked over by Shelly hugging me. She looked up at me and asked where Thomas was.. Trisha answered both of their inquiries as to where Thomas was as I reached down and picked Shelly up and gave her a big hug, she put her head on my shoulder and said we missed you.. Nearly unable to see from the tears of joy welling up in my eyes I motioned to Mr. Grey that I would be along in a minute. He politely nodded and closed the door behind him as he left the room.

I knelt down next to my three ladies and we were all over come with emotion. Trisha asked Mary, how they had gotten there, and as Shelly climbed down to sit with her sister and mother to explain how Mr. Grey had helped them with their chores and helped fix breakfast and cleaned it all up that a man came to the house wearing a uniform and spoke to Mr. grey about something then Mr. Grey asked them if they wanted to come to the hospital and see their brother.

“We got to ride in an army truck mommy” Shelly blurted out to which I received some steel cold glares from Trisha. Mary stood up and turned around to me and explained that the Colonel had instructed two men to stay at home and guard the house while another two brought them to the hospital.

She reluctantly returned my hug but looked at me and asked, “Is Thomas really going to be ok?” I held her face in my hands and after kissing her on the forehead looked her in the eye and replied, “we are all going to be fine hunny.”

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    11:28 - Day 9

I look up at the opening door to hear Thomas making beeping sounds, saying look out, coming through and sure enough he was wheeling himself in the door, well almost, the orderly pushing the wheel chair had one hand on the chair as he came through the doorway his face lit up.. “Sissy… Marry Berry..” his nicknames for his sisters.. They nearly knocked him out of the chair.

I took the opportunity to step out into kiss my wife and tell her I was going to step out into the hallway and talk to Mr. Grey. She nodded then attended to Thomas as the orderly helped him through the hugs of love from his sisters and into the bed.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    11:32 - Day 9

The guardsman at the door pointed to the right as I walked out the door, I walked down the hall a bit and standing near a coffee pot in the waiting room at the end of the hall was Mr. Grey.

As I approached he handed me a cup of coffee and reached out his right hand to shake mine. I thanked him for the coffee and then while shaking his hand looked him in the eye and repeated the thank you for bringing the girls up to see their brother and their mom.

He started to explain, the Colonel had sent two vehicles, four men to accomplish the reunion. He apologized to me for leaving the house trusting the word of the Colonel’s Lieutenant that indeed the girls would be brought here without issue so he demanded that he would accompany them only if men were left to guard the house.

Mr. Grey was relieved to find that I was not upset, I explained that the Colonel and I had come to an agreement about my family’s safety and my helping with his orders.

Mr. Grey was not a prying man but I could see in his face he wanted to know more. Looking around to see that there was no one in the waiting area I motioned to sit down. We sat down in the corner of the waiting room and I explained a little of what I had agreed to.

Top Bottom