• ...and so much more!
  • Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Copyright, Icarry2, WDY Media

NOTICE: This started out as a "what would you do" and has evolved into a regular follow along SHTF Story..

Stop, something has happened, it's 10:25 PM and everything went dead and you felt everything where you are shutter breifly.. You look outside all around where ever you are and see nothing out of the ordinary just everything is without power..

What do you do in the next 5 minutes..

Take this serious and lets see what your honest reactions are..

List where you are, what you were doing and what you would do in the next 5 minutes..

Call this a mental shakedown run...

GO!

Last edited:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I would grab a flashlight and hang out for a few minutes. Thats what we have done every other time the power went out. If it lasts more than a few minutes then we will talk about what to do next. If it were today, right now, I wouldn't do anything special. Set the alarm on the cell phone and the battery powered clock we keep in the bed room, and go to bed.

BDBHoover

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Northside Indianapolis
    Luckily I have a netbook so if the power goes out...... I CAN STILL GET ON INGO!!!

But I would do what I normally do in a power outage... Grab my mag light and check my breaker box..... grab my voltage meter and check my power sources.... if all is not okay I call the power company and find out the situation.... if cell lines are down.... time to grab the BoE, round up everyone in the household and hold out til daylight to figure out what the next plan of action is......

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Defcon 5: All is good in the hood

Defcon 4: Power failure. find the source of the problem and either fix it or call to have it fixed. Low concern depending on outside situation

Defcon 3: Power and Phone/Internet Failure. Turn on radio and find out whats going on. Low/Medium concern depending on outside situation

Defcon 2: Power, Phone/Internet, Radio failure or broadcasting emergency message.
    Medium/High concern depending on outside situation. House possibly goes into siege mode.

Defcon 1: Power, Phone/Internet, Radio failure or broadcasting emergency message. Some sort of natural, man made, alien, or zombie problem is near my home or neighborhood. House goes into siege mode.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Copyright, Icarry2, WDY Media

Cell phones have signal but no calls will go out, all circuits busy.. Same for land lines. Cable is out but satellite TV systems still work if you can power them. If you were able to turn on your TV and Satellite tuner no local channels are on the are, just snow on those channels.. You find that channels as far away as 200 miles are also out.

Radio's have static..

Ham radios are as if someone left a mic open, dead air..

If you look up there are no air planes in the sky you can see..

You hear sirens, police, fire, rescue... Not in your general neighborhood, but close enough to hear them..

Last edited:

BDBHoover

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Northside Indianapolis
    Cell phones have signal but no calls will go out, all circuits busy.. Same for land lines. Cable is out but satellite TV systems still work if you can power them. If you were able to turn on your TV and Satellite tuner no local channels are on the are, just snow on those channels.. You find that channels as far away as 200 miles are also out.

Radio's have static..

You hear sirens, police, fire, rescue... Not in your general neighborhood, but close enough to hear them..

Barricade doors/windows, grab the BoE, get my family contained into my master bedroom, move our portable pantry with canned goods upstairs to the master bedroom, lock 'n load, watch out through windows and keep the radio on until something assures me that everything is okay/not okay....... put situational awareness on HIGHEST alert and wait it out..... until rations start becoming deminished.... grab what we can and go to a more secure location...... KEEP situational awareness on highest alert until everyone is safe and sound.....

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Radio's have static..

Given the new information provided I would secure my family and pets inside the home. Lock all doors and windows. Start up generator and monitor the tv and radio for anything to come on the air. Gun safe gets opened. For all of those utilities to go out at once and hearing sirens nearby I imagine something significant has just occured.

We stay locked indoors until sun rise or a change in situation presents itself by TV, Radio, Internet, phone, or if emergency personnel comes to our home giving us information about the situation and whether we should stay put, leave, or help if possible. If no changes come before dawn we will wait it out and when dawn comes i will go outside but not leave the property and begin trying to put the pieces together and establishing contact with friends and family

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I would set off my personal EMP that I keep charged and ready to rock. Of course I'd insert my foam 30dB reduction ear buds first just in case.

I've been collecting old-school washboards, ice-cream cranks, horses, and threshers. I figure if it hits the fan, I'm going to cripple those around me who haven't prepared for life in the 1700s like I have, and I will be their leader.

stormryder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Batesville IN
    I would still be @ work, since they have their own power source, I would not know what is goin' on outside.
    I would find out about this @ about 0130, when I got off work.
    But, I would have my "truck guns" and supplies waiting on me in my vehicle.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Stay put, stand guard, Check the Genny. Wait a little while and observe to see what happens next. Would not want to start the genny right away so as to not attract attenton. See if the car starts and find out if there are any radios staions operating and listen for information armmed of course!

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    assuming this is a week night I would already be in bed and asleep.

SO, my newly installed gen-set would kick on and auto switch all my essential circuits. I would wake up about 6 am the next morning and wouldn't really notice anything until the zombies started walking down the street.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    1. Bring the kids into the master suite w/ my wife and I.
    2. Grab the flashlights and windup/battery emergency radio (2a. Nominate one of the kids to start cranking once the battery runs down).
    3. Check the cul-de-sac to see if any of the neighbors are outside.
    4. Batten down the hatches until daylight or I get further info, either through observation or with the emergency broadcast.
    * the no planes thing can possibly be a big scare for us, since we are in line with one set of runways for the airport

Top Bottom