• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    But worth the money? That’s what I have a hard time justifying. I’m used to driving smaller cars, but it’s time to get a big boy vehicle for big boy stuff…

What are you going to do with it and what is "big boy stuff" to you? I test drove and crawled around and under all the major off road oriented trucks last year and may be able to offer some advice.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    But worth the money? That’s what I have a hard time justifying. I’m used to driving smaller cars, but it’s time to get a big boy vehicle for big boy stuff…
    I bought a new GMC in 2020. Is it worth it? So far, I have not had to have the truck back to the dealer for a single warranty issue. This truck has been about as close to perfect as I could ever imagine.
    Usmccookie, I think so but we're all going to bitch about the price of a new truck
    GFGT, my GMC is a 2020 also, and I feel the same way

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    What are you going to do with it and what is "big boy stuff" to you? I test drove and crawled around and under all the major off road oriented trucks last year and may be able to offer some advice.
    Have you been able to take the power wagon off road much? I'm thinking there's not many trails in Indiana where that thing will fit.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Have you been able to take the power wagon off road much? I'm thinking there's not many trails in Indiana where that thing will fit.

I've barely driven it on the road, but I'm putting my kit together, researching, and intend to take the Trail Whale out this Spring.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    So,
    In a discussion about trucks, where does the Honda Ridgeline fit in?
    (That's what I am looking at)
    It all depends on what you need a truck for. Over 60% of all trucks on the road, excluding commercial vehicles never haul anything and even less never tow anything.

A Ridgeline could be the perfect truck for you. Or you might need a 1 ton dualie as a minimum.

All the macho truck bravado cracks me up. The largest percentage of trucks sold are 1/2 tons by a wide margin. Think about it: 1000 lbs. That ain't much.

The reason there are so many different types of trucks is because people have different uses for their vehicles. Too bad most just buy a 1/2 ton which in most cases is too much truck and in some cases too little truck.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I've barely driven it on the road, but I'm putting my kit together, researching, and intend to take the Trail Whale out this Spring.

I thought I saw where PW's can get an optional winch. Did yours come with that? I don't recall you saying. I'm hoping to hit some trails this spring as well, but I have to shop for a bumper and a winch first. Would have been nice if it came with one.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It all depends on what you need a truck for. Over 60% of all trucks on the road, excluding commercial vehicles never haul anything and even less never tow anything.

A Ridgeline could be the perfect truck for you. Or you might need a 1 ton dualie as a minimum.

All the macho truck bravado cracks me up. The largest percentage of trucks sold are 1/2 tons by a wide margin. Think about it: 1000 lbs. That ain't much.

The reason there are so many different types of trucks is because people have different uses for their vehicles. Too bad most just buy a 1/2 ton which in most cases is too much truck and in some cases too little truck.
    I mean. I joke about Honda Ridgeline. Reason I think most people don't consider them trucks is that they're just a Honda Pilot with a bed. And I'm not knocking that. It's practical for a lot of people. But it's not body-on-frame. And a lot of truck fans don't consider them "real" trucks. But so what? They're truck enough, depending on what you need it for.

But one nit to pick? It's not 1000 lbs payload for modern 1/2 tons. If they're equipped with a standard cab and bed, and a lighter engine, the payload is more like 2200+ lbs for the big 3. My Silverado is rated at something close to 1500. And I can tow close to 10K lbs. Mine's rated less than some of the other models because I have an offroad pkg that reduces it.

It's about the class of truck matched to the use. Ridgeline and Maverick I'd say compete in the same space of compact trucks. As "trucks", they have the least payload, room, tow capacity. So fewer things you can do with it. Midsize, you step up a bit in size, capacity and tow rating. 1/2 ton, you get more. 3/4 same kind of thing. You get the idea.

But it's fun to poke fun at Ridgeline. And poking fun is not anything anyone should take seriously.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I thought I saw where PW's can get an optional winch. Did yours come with that? I don't recall you saying. I'm hoping to hit some trails this spring as well, but I have to shop for a bumper and a winch first. Would have been nice if it came with one.

PW comes with winch standard, and the recent generation comes with synthetic line. I've put about 800 miles on it since I bought it, mostly 2 round trips to Louisville. It's actually a great highway cruiser, super comfortable, as long as you don't mind feeding it.

Offroad equipment that comes standard:
    Winch
    Front and rear axle selectable lockers
    Disconnecting front sway bar
    A pretty robust skid plate package, much more substantial than Ford's, which is much more substantial than GM/Chevy.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    PW comes with winch standard, and the recent generation comes with synthetic line. I've put about 800 miles on it since I bought it, mostly 2 round trips to Louisville. It's actually a great highway cruiser, super comfortable, as long as you don't mind feeding it.

Offroad equipment that comes standard:
    Winch
    Front and rear axle selectable lockers
    Disconnecting front sway bar
    A pretty robust skid plate package, much more substantial than Ford's, which is much more substantial than GM/Chevy.
    Yeah, I'll admit I'm a bit jealous about the winch.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    But one nit to pick? It's not 1000 lbs payload for modern 1/2 tons. If they're equipped with a standard cab and bed, and a lighter engine, the payload is more like 2200+ lbs for the big 3. My Silverado is rated at something close to 1500. And I can tow close to 10K lbs. Mine's rated less than some of the other models because I have an offroad pkg that reduces it.

The higher end trucks have even less of a payload rating. Every option on the truck takes away from it's available payload.

The Ram I have now is only 1,246lbs...so I'll be maxed out on tongue weight before I'll max out on its rated tow capacity.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Where did you get that? The typical F150 can haul about double that and a V/8 version can haul three times that and pull 13,000 pounds.

He’s right to a point, mine is only good for about 1,100 pounds, the options do make a difference, mine is a lariat crew cab. Personally I use the bed a lot, ever tried hauling 12’ long 2x12 red oak boards in a 5 1/2’ bed? That wasn’t fun, but 8 of those and a 600 pound welder and she handled just fine.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The higher end trucks have even less of a payload rating. Every option on the truck takes away from it's available payload.

The Ram I have now is only 1,246lbs...so I'll be maxed out on tongue weight before I'll max out on its rated tow capacity.

Yep. All the extras weigh something, and that just decreases how much it can haul. The only thing I ever tow is my trailer. Its max capacity is 8000 lbs. So if I have the load balanced properly I know I'm well within the capacity of my truck. But then that doesn't leave room for too many phat asses + gear in the cab before I have to start doing math.

Top Bottom