• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    For those members who live or spend lots of time in Illinois, there have been some changes to the Firearms Owners Identification Card Act. In a nutshell, if you are subject to the act and a Protective Order is entered against you, you may be ordered to turn your card and your guns in to local law enforcement. You might not get them back either. Since most of us probably aren't subject to the act, (thank god I live in Indiana) I won't bore you with the details. The full text of the Act is here with most of the changes underlined on pages 15 and 16.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/96/PDF/096-0701.pdf

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Well, THAT oughta solve the problem.*

*The phrase they say every time they pass a new gun law :rolleyes:

Rev19:11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Buddy of mine who lives in Naperville was JUST telling me he figured Illinois would go straight 'open-carry' before they had more stringent gun laws passed. HA.

I swear that state does something to people. I still can't believe the whole FOID card thing.

(P.S. This same buddy called me up one day and said, "Guess what?! I bought a Harley!"...
    Being a motorcycle guy, I say, "That's great, man... which model?"
    He says, "Sportster 883! It's awesome!"
    Me: "Dude, that's a girl's bike."
    No offense if anyone reading owns one. Great little scoots, they are. ;)

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I wonder what the requirements are for someone to get a protective order against you in Illinois?:dunno:

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I wonder what the requirements are for someone to get a protective order against you in Illinois?:dunno:

Here's an idea... just go to their courthouse or whatever and get a protective order against... wait for it...

I, the undersigned, with the authority and assistance of the Great State of Illinois, hereby approve and make official a protective order against (fill in the blank below)

___all Criminals___

problem solved.

:laugh: :nuts:

Last edited:

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    Actually the protective order thing is a bad deal, the way i understand it just about anyone that is "in fear of thier life" IE disgrutel EX girlfriend, wife, good buddy whatever, can file such an order against you then you have to go to court to prove (if you can) yourself innocent:dunno:
    I live to close to the republic of Illinois anyhoo

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    A way to harass gun owners

So do you this will be used and abused? Will an ex that wants to cause grief to someone that has guns be able to get a protective order and cause them to give up their passion or move out of state?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    In a nutshell, if you are subject to the act and a Protective Order is entered against you, you may be ordered to turn your card and your guns in to local law enforcement. You might not get them back either.

You know that we (IN) have something similar as well right? In the case Comprehensive Indiana Gun Law we talked about how the ISP can revoke your license if you are deemed an unfit person. The speaker said that a case could be made that if you have a protective order against you, you could be deemed unfit and thus have your license revoked which in turn means your weapons must stay at home.

In addition the court (during a divorce) could order you to have the police hold your firearms while the process is ongoing due to fear from the other party. The speaker spoke about his own divorce and how that was one thing he and his lawyer said they did not want. No protective order period since in most IN divorce cases by default protective orders are handed out to both parties.

In addition in the IL case its a YOU MAY not an automatic YOU WILL.I think this "new law" is stemming from the Peterson case (the former LEO accused of killing 2 of his wives).

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    They call it the "Order of Protection" to circumvent the need to produce evidence, which was required by law to obtain "Restraining Orders". By creating the "Order of Protection" they removed this need for proof. You can have one issued to you by someone in your household or former household and not even know it until the Sheriffs come knocking on your door.

Top Bottom