• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I reread that tweet when it was posted in the other nascar thread and it struck me differently than my initial reading, he actually is making an excuse that the women’s game was head to head so the ratings were a victory, just like @greg would, instead of acknowledging the the WNCAA games have figured out how to draw viewers to their sport in a way all of nascar has not…
    If people don't have both heroes and villains to cheer and jeer, sports isn't as interesting. Not many people watch it just for the game. They take sides. They love theirs and hate the other. That's what the draw is. So they play up the rivalry between two women athletes and people watched.

I don't really feel like there's a lot of that in today's racing. In terms of rivalries, where's today's equivalent of Earnhardt/Bodine? Or Earnhardt/Gordon? Petty/Pearson. Look through the history of racing's top rivalries, few of them are after 2010. Lots in the 70's, 80's and 90's.

There needs to be something going on other than just cars driving around a circle for 3 hours.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    If people don't have both heroes and villains to cheer and jeer, sports isn't as interesting. Not many people watch it just for the game. They take sides. They love theirs and hate the other. That's what the draw is. So they play up the rivalry between two women athletes and people watched.

I don't really feel like there's a lot of that in today's racing. In terms of rivalries, where's today's equivalent of Earnhardt/Bodine? Or Earnhardt/Gordon? Petty/Pearson. Look through the history of racing's top rivalries, few of them are after 2010. Lots in the 70's, 80's and 90's.

There needs to be something going on other than just cars driving around a circle for 3 hours.
    Compelling figures make things interesting for sure, but there has to be some momentum to grow.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Compelling figures make things interesting for sure, but there has to be some momentum to grow.
    Sure. My point was, in other sports if you don’t have a favorite team or player or nothing that compels you to root for anything, you’re not going to maintain interest. Not saying there’s nothing or no one to root for now in NASCAR. But it also helps if there’s a compelling story. Especially if it involves a favorite ream or player. And of course there has to be enough that compels fan growth.

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In
    I remembered the first race at Texas Kyle Petty caused a wreck in turn one that collected half the field almost.

Traffic was a huge delay getting in and out of the race in the beginning also….

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Saw highlights. Anyone else notice they are packing all the fans in the middle section by the flagstand? On TV the camera pans out looks like a packed house, then on restarts you can see all the empty grandstands that isnt in the middle of the track.

At work Friday I saw an article from an ex sponsor. Said for the cost of sponsorship vs the amount of viewers the sport is attracting it was no longer worth the price of advertising. They would rather spend that money on tv commercials. A 30 second ad during a show that attracts 40 million viewers vs a weekend that attracts 3 million (on a good week) viewers is a no brainer. Nascar needs to start listening to the millions of fans that left before its too late. Most have already swore them off, but there are some that would return if the product was better.

Dont listen to the 2 million fans that are still there. Its obvious they are gonna watch regardless. You can put 36 oscar meyer weiner cars on the track for 400 laps and theyll cheer at the top of their lungs. Listen to the 10 million fans that left and ask them why… thats the group you need to return.

The TV contract doesnt go to the teams. Weekly sponsorships and race winnings do… and those are largely dependent on attanedance and viewership.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Saw highlights. Anyone else notice they are packing all the fans in the middle section by the flagstand? On TV the camera pans out looks like a packed house, then on restarts you can see all the empty grandstands that isnt in the middle of the track.

At work Friday I saw an article from an ex sponsor. Said for the cost of sponsorship vs the amount of viewers the sport is attracting it was no longer worth the price of advertising. They would rather spend that money on tv commercials. A 30 second ad during a show that attracts 40 million viewers vs a weekend that attracts 3 million (on a good week) viewers is a no brainer. Nascar needs to start listening to the millions of fans that left before its too late. Most have already swore them off, but there are some that would return if the product was better.

Dont listen to the 2 million fans that are still there. Its obvious they are gonna watch regardless. You can put 36 oscar meyer weiner cars on the track for 400 laps and theyll cheer at the top of their lungs. Listen to the 10 million fans that left and ask them why… thats the group you need to return.

The TV contract doesnt go to the teams. Weekly sponsorships and race winnings do… and those are largely dependent on attanedance and viewership.
    It is an interesting juxtaposition that @greg wants to denigrate articles from mainstream sources as not in the know, but the fact that mainstream sources without a direct source of cash from nascar report how nascar has fallen and rarely report anything else is indicative of how out of the mainstream nascar is now...

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    It is an interesting juxtaposition that @greg wants to denigrate articles from mainstream sources as not in the know, but the fact that mainstream sources without a direct source of cash from nascar report how nascar has fallen and rarely report anything else is indicative of how out of the mainstream nascar is now...
    Honestly, thats why the sport is in the shape it is. I dont fault anyone for loving a sport and being a fan. I do however fault them for pretending there isnt an issue when there clearly is.

I love my house. If its on fire and the fire department shows up, im not gonna tell them how awesome my house is an that theres nothing wrong because i have 4 other bedrooms that are just fine… and then compare it to the other houses in the neighborhood…

“Highest rated sporting event of the weekend” is downright false. MLB games may get 1 million views/game but there are 12 games. Nascar has 1 race. If we broke 36 drivers up into 18 races, with the amount of views they get that would be roughly 150,000 views per race. If we took all of the mlb games and combined them into 1 event it would be 6 million +. Its an ignorant thing to claim…

And, womens basketball smashed the ratings… and for good reason… those chicks played some damn good ball.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Glad to see my driver back in victory lane. I may be biased because Chase won, but I thought it was an awesome race. The cars weren't glued to the track so drivers were constantly walking the line of being out of control and stepping over it fairly often. Seemed to be a lot of passing although I haven't seen stats. It was just a good race. if they can keep action on the track like that every week, more people would certainly tune in.

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In
    It wouldn't matter if stands were full and the cars were upside down and on fire backward the Debbie Doubters would still complain and whine...

BTW…. I seen some are saying the Teams Don't get TV money… BS more FALSE information SMH

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville

Denny Hamlin discussing the costs of running a team, sponsorships, and tv revenue.

From Denny:

“It’s not that NASCAR isn’t worth sponsoring. The access and experiences that NASCAR can provide a company when they sponsor a race car is unlike anything in sports. But even if these unique experiences provide a return on investment, it doesn’t change the fact that sponsorship revenue is down across the board.”

Heres an article from the Nascar president saying Nascar teams are losing money.

This article was from November of last year.

Also, currently, the purse (tv funds included) is about 4 million per race (Daytona purse is much higher, but Denny reported the average purse totals $4 million/race). 4 million divided by 36 drivers is only $111,000.00 Some will make more some make less depending on finishing position. That barely covers the costs for a car throughout the weekend. So the people going on about the tv deal are lost and have no idea what theyre talking about. I would listen to people directly involved, like Denny Hamlin, Dale Jr, Jimmie Johnson, etc.

Top Bottom