• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I know that guns dont go off by themselves, but who else tries to stay away from the muzzle end even if the gun is sitting on the table?

It erks me when the guy behind the counter lays the pistol on the counter pointing at me, even after I see him clear it.

Here is what usually happens:

I ask to look at a pistol.
    Salesman gets it out, maybe clears it, maybe not.
    lays it on the counter, sometimes even pointing at me.:xmad:
    I pick it up, making sure not to sweep anyone in the shop
    I drop the mag, clear the piece and check the mag
    I look the piece over
    I never insert the mag while I am looking the piece over.
    I lock the pistol open and lay it back on the counter making sure not to muzzle sweep anyone in the place.

I use the same procedure for long arms.

I have had salesmen give me the "look" while doing this, but I dont feel like I am going overboard.

Just thought I'd rant after an issue earlier this week.
    I am always cautious about this as well, but I've never had a salesmen not clear the chamber and take out the mag before handing it over or setting it on the counter. Where did this happen? Seems a bit sketchy.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Four rules, always. Had to call the GFs 9yo on rule 1 with his airsoft, and I was backed up on that. I check everything, and if I hand one to someone, I hold it with the trigger guard covered.

Johnny C

Master
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    I am always cautious about this as well, but I've never had a salesmen not clear the chamber and take out the mag before handing it over or setting it on the counter. Where did this happen? Seems a bit sketchy.

MC sports, Bloomington

BTW, sure at a gun show or gun store, you cant avoud walking in front of the table without guns on the tasbler being pointed at you.

Here is where my caution came from.

Family reunionhj 20+ years ago, Uncle removes magazine on 1911, lays it on the table (it is still cocked, but not locked), as we chat about guns, 15 Y.O. cousin Monte comes up and goes to pick up the 1911, his finger goes into the trigger guard and BLAM! gun goes off still on the table and just misses me. Lukily it wasnt pointed AT anyone, it could have been pointed toward us. Uncle also found out the hard way not to tape the grip safety down. Thats why I am even leary of guns on the table pointing at me.

A: it might be loaded
    B: someone might grab it and N.D. it

Last edited:

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I was at a LGS not to be named, but near Jeffersonville, as I was looking at guns on the wall I looked toward the door and there is one of the gun store employees aiming a shotgun at my head!, I stepped out of his aim and asked him what he was doing? He just looked stunned and put the shotgun down. Won't name the store but the town begins with Sellers, and ends with berg...........

lrahm

Master
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I know that guns dont go off by themselves, but who else tries to stay away from the muzzle end even if the gun is sitting on the table?

It erks me when the guy behind the counter lays the pistol on the counter pointing at me, even after I see him clear it.

Here is what usually happens:

I ask to look at a pistol.
    Salesman gets it out, maybe clears it, maybe not.
    lays it on the counter, sometimes even pointing at me.:xmad:
    I pick it up, making sure not to sweep anyone in the shop
    I drop the mag, clear the piece and check the mag
    I look the piece over
    I never insert the mag while I am looking the piece over.
    I lock the pistol open and lay it back on the counter making sure not to muzzle sweep anyone in the place.

I use the same procedure for long arms.

I have had salesmen give me the "look" while doing this, but I dont feel like I am going overboard.

Just thought I'd rant after an issue earlier this week.

Sounds like a (safe) plan.

Mackey

Master
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I was at a LGS not to be named, but near Jeffersonville, as I was looking at guns on the wall I looked toward the door and there is one of the gun store employees aiming a shotgun at my head!, I stepped out of his aim and asked him what he was doing? He just looked stunned and put the shotgun down. Won't name the store but the town begins with Sellers, and ends with berg...........

I've been in that unnamed gun shop. I'm not too surprised. I wish them the best though

But as regards the original posting, I HATE to be muzzle swept, even by guns on a table. It's unavoidable in some situations, but I was taught to consider all firearms to have a live laser coming out of the bore. The last guns show I was at (New Albany, IN) I was cut all to pieces and laying on the floor in bloody meaty chunks.

bluewraith

Master
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    While doing the dishes earlier I happened to notice my .45 staring me down in its holster on the dining room table. That was a bit unsettling, so now its facing the wall.

Not a whole lot of options in an apartment for safe direction.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I cannot stand to be swept by the business end of a gun. My brother not only swept me, but pointed my glock at me, I had cleared it before I handed it to him. I ripped him a new one. He got all (*), over me getting pissed at him. He did get the message though. He has been safe (at least around me) ever since.

cwillour

Expert
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I follow similar procedures, but I am amazed at how many times somebody will step right into my line as I am trying to aim high at a nearby wall or distant ceiling.

Just before Christmas I was looking at an LCR and checking the dot against a mount on the nearby wall when a guy stepped right in front of the barrel (he was probably 6'3" or taller and the barrel could not have been more than 2" from his ear) and started to ask the employee a question. My eyes jumped out of their sockets seeing his ear behind my sight and I immediately lower the revolver and looked at the guy in disbelief. When he noticed the stunned look on the employees face, he looked over at me and just shrugged. I guess ignorance really is bliss :rolleyes:

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"
    Ok, this has to have a statute quoted... good to remember next time you get swept at a gun shop... I've even said it to a clerk before also...

It usually gets a very surprised look on their face to tell them that it is against the law to point an UNloaded firearm at another person (an A Misdemeanor) and a D Felony if its loaded...
    (of course, they are ALL Loaded !!!)

I was at Cabela's over in Hammond and this jerk was looking at some .45 out of the case, and not only swept, but actually pointed it in my direction (he claimed he was "aiming" at the deer on the far far wall, past MY HEAD). I jumped back a bit and he laughed, and said, "I checked it, its not loaded..." I said yeah right..., and if you do it again, the LEO that will be taking you to jail for (the below statute) , as well as possibly assault or intimidation, when I press charges against you.... HIS will be !

A**wipe... Must have been from the Peoples Republic of Illinois,
    where they don't handle guns too often... :D
    (now all you out of stater's dont get your undies in a knot... its a joke! )

Just something to keep in the back of your mind the next time some idiot makes you feel "uncomfortable"....

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"
    oops sorry, I left out the actual statute in the post...
    IC 35-47-4-3
    Pointing firearm at another person
    Sec. 3. (a) This section does not apply to a law enforcement officer who is acting within the scope of the law enforcement officer's official duties or to a person who is justified in using reasonable force against another person under:
    (1) IC 35-41-3-2; or
    (2) IC 35-41-3-3.
    (b) A person who knowingly or intentionally points a firearm at another person commits a Class D felony. However, the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if the firearm was not loaded.
    As added by P.L.296-1995, SEC.2.

GlockFox

Marksman
    Nov 7, 2011
    Naptown
    I've had this happen, Also a friend of mine was at a very popular gun store and was swept multiple times by the salesperson and customer. Not safe practice.

NIFT

Master
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    oops sorry, I left out the actual statute in the post...
    IC 35-47-4-3
    Pointing firearm at another person
    Sec. 3. (a) This section does not apply to a law enforcement officer who is acting within the scope of the law enforcement officer's official duties or to a person who is justified in using reasonable force against another person under:
    (1) IC 35-41-3-2; or
    (2) IC 35-41-3-3.
    (b) A person who knowingly or intentionally points a firearm at another person commits a Class D felony. However, the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if the firearm was not loaded.
    As added by P.L.296-1995, SEC.2.

The critical qualifiers are the words, "knowingly and intentionally." Simply being swept does not constitute Pointing. This does not, however, excuse carelessness and dangerous gun handling--which are, unfortunately, ubiquitous.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    It can't be avoided. If you have ever visited any place with guns, chances are you've been swept. Just stand back and watch and it won't take long to see someone do it.

I see it on TV on a regular basis, Son's of Guns, American Gun, Pawn Stars (a lot) and even Top Shot. I've seen it at local gun shops especially Midwest Gun Exchange with their large volume of customers handling guns. At gun shows? We won't even think about that! :)

jmiller676

Master
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Also, when handed a firearm I look them in the eye and say "Thank you". I do this so both parties involved understand that the transfer of a firearm is being done and are on the same page.

krvincen

Marksman
    May 20, 2011
    Osceola
    Thats frightening!! I try to always followed the allready mentioned safety rules, plus whenever my hand is on the weapon in any way, shape, or form I point muzzle down at the floor immediately and never hand it back or set it down unless slide is locked back to show clear and no magazine present in receiver!!!

thompal

Master
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    But as regards the original posting, I HATE to be muzzle swept, even by guns on a table.

Keep in mind that if you carry a pocket pistol, you are constantly sweeping people every time you sit down. If you are in a booth in a restaurant, you sweep the entire place as you turn after sitting, or getting ready to stand up.

Top Bottom