• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lucky4034

Master
    Jan 14, 2012
    It erks me when the guy behind the counter lays the pistol on the counter pointing at me, even after I see him clear it.

I'll tell you a little story about this very subject....

I purchased my first gun about 2 months ago and when I first got it, I was excited and full of questions. So when I bumped into a friend (who I know has been a long time gun collector) and we began to chat about gun safety and how important it is to go through all the motions.. One of the stories he told me was (and I know this guy to be a very trustworthy guy... he isn't the type to make up stories) about this very thing.

Anyway, he told me that one time he went to a small gunshop in Granger (small upper-class town in between Mishawaka and Elkhart). The guy behind the counter he had known for several years and when he came in he noticed that the guy was a little flustered looking. He asked the store keep what was wrong and the store keep told him about his encounter with the last customer that left 20 minutes ago.

He said that a man in probably his 50's came in about 30min ago and requested to look at a pistol. They conversated for a few minutes, while the man checked out and handled the gun. As they were shooting the ****, the man gave the clerk back the gun, chatted for a few more seconds then left.

The clerk didnt think much of it... but as he started to go back to his day, something told him that he should inspect the gun again because in their conversation he knew he kind of rushed to put it away. When he pulled back the slide, to his surprise there was a round in the chamber. Come to find out the old man was actually mentally a little ill and had chambered a round for some reason.

The storekeeper told my friend he was dumbfounded and was shaken up by the incident. He wondered what might have happened had he not checked the gun one last time.

Again... this story comes 3rd hand, but either way... its better safe than sorry if you ask me.

Last edited:

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I'll tell you a little story about this very subject....

I purchased my first gun about 2 months ago and when I first got it, I was excited and full of questions. So when I bumped into a friend (who I know has been a long time gun collector) and we began to chat about gun safety and how important it is to go through all the motions.. One of the stories he told me was (and I know this guy to be a very trustworthy guy... he isn't the type to make up stories) about this very thing.

Anyway, he told me that one time he went to a small gunshop in Granger (small upper-class town in between Mishawaka and Elkhart). The guy behind the counter he had known for several years and when he came in he noticed that the guy was a little flustered looking. He asked the store keep what was wrong and the store keep told him about his encounter with the last customer that left 20 minutes ago.

He said that a man in probably his 50's came in about 30min ago and requested to look at a pistol. They conversated for a few minutes, while the man checked out and handled the gun. As they were shooting the ****, the man gave the clerk back the gun, chatted for a few more seconds then left.

The clerk didnt think much of it... but as he started to go back to his day, something told him that he should inspect the gun again because in their conversation he knew he kind of rushed to put it away. When he pulled back the slide, to his surprise there was a round in the chamber. Come to find out the old man was actually mentally a little ill and had chambered a round for some reason.

The storekeeper told my friend he was dumbfounded and was shaken up by the incident. He wondered what might have happened had he not checked the gun one last time.

Again... this story comes 3rd hand, but either way... its better safe than sorry if you ask me.

that wasn't at granger guns was it?

Top Bottom