• ...and so much more!
  • JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Well after selling my BMW GS Adventurer in September and my Ultra Classic in October after a two week trip to the Texas Hill Country I went bikeless until Saturday.

M&E Honda in Bedford had a brand new 2021 Goldwing Tour DCT just waiting for me to ride out of the showroom.

Best part is after trying to buy one in Indywhere they wouldnt come off list price, M&E sold this one for $2K less than MSRP.

Now I have a whole lot of reading and accessorizing to do.
    I hear the DST is pretty sweet. Give us the rundown after you have some miles on it.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I hear the DST is pretty sweet. Give us the rundown after you have some miles on it.
    I have 2 bikes with the Honda DCT.

It is freaking amazing AFTER you get used to it. Some things are not intuitive because you are so used to using a clutch level with the throttle so to get the most of it you have to learn some different techniques. The throttle is worked against the rear brake instead of using the clutch. The rear brake is generally used more often. The bike shifts to a "theoretical" neutral at STOPS but instantly reacts to the throttle so there is no more "blipping" the throttle because that will throw the bike into an intersection. It also doesn't work like a scooter, because scooters have 2 hand brakes and the Honda DCTs have nothing for the left had to do at all unless you want to manually over-ride the DCT's auto gear selector. You can go up/down with the paddle shifter. Both of mine are 3rd generation DCTs, one of them has D (economy) plus 3 levels of S (Sport 1, Sport 2 and damn that is too frisky Sport 3).

I see no reason to go back to a clutch! The DCT works like magic.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I have 2 bikes with the Honda DCT.

It is freaking amazing AFTER you get used to it. Some things are not intuitive because you are so used to using a clutch level with the throttle so to get the most of it you have to learn some different techniques. The throttle is worked against the rear brake instead of using the clutch. The rear brake is generally used more often. The bike shifts to a "theoretical" neutral at STOPS but instantly reacts to the throttle so there is no more "blipping" the throttle because that will throw the bike into an intersection. It also doesn't work like a scooter, because scooters have 2 hand brakes and the Honda DCTs have nothing for the left had to do at all unless you want to manually over-ride the DCT's auto gear selector. You can go up/down with the paddle shifter. Both of mine are 3rd generation DCTs, one of them has D (economy) plus 3 levels of S (Sport 1, Sport 2 and damn that is too frisky Sport 3).

I see no reason to go back to a clutch! The DCT works like magic.
    I talked to a guy at the Dragon with a Wing DCT. He was saying he would create load with the brake to get it to go a gear lower if he wanted a bit more punch. That sound about right?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I talked to a guy at the Dragon with a Wing DCT. He was saying he would create load with the brake to get it to go a gear lower if he wanted a bit more punch. That sound about right?
    Sounds right

I'd also note that I believe using something like a "Cramp Buster" type device on a DCT equipped motorcycle is dangerous.

I had one on my NC750x (light duty adventure style bike) and my wife was riding my bike one day while we were riding. We were both sitting on the side of a rural road adjacent to a farm field. She caught her glove? or jacket sleeve? on the cramp buster on my throttle and took off into the corn field!!! Fortunately she had the presence of mind to ride through the corner of the field and came out the other side, no harm to her or my bike.

I ASSUMED IT WAS A FLUKE.

A month or two later I was in downtown Valparaiso at a light waiting for the GREEN when I dropped my arm off the throttle, caught my sleeve on the cramp buster and lurched forward toward the intersection. LUCKILY my right foot was on the brake. The bike lurched forward but only about 2' or 3' before I stopped it and never went into the cross traffic.

The cramp buster came off the throttle and went into the trash. I would note that the NC750x is not equipped with a cruise control. I switched from a cramp buster to an Atlas Throttle Lock, which gives similar utility in a different way. And the Atlas solves the problem on long tours, I've used my NC750x on the Trans Canadian Hwy, across much of the US from Minnesota to New York with the Atlas. But no longer would consider a cramp buster type device on any bike equipped with a DCT.

Like I said, I absolutely LOVE the Honda DCT. The bikes built in 2016 and later are using the 3rd generation of software. It is like freaking MAGIC to ride, it works well. Some riders find D to be fine, others I know use S1 on a daily basis. I don't know anyone riding in S2 or S3 on a daily basis. Figure out what works for you, use the paddle shifters to over-ride as you wish (I almost never override) and simply enjoy the ride.

One other thing I will say, if you ride much in city or suburban traffic and use a DCT then you will become a believer! Honestly there is no real advantage out on the road, be it a rural highway or an interstate, but damn if you won't come to appreciate the hell out of it when you start dealing with traffic and congestion.

At this point the only bike I'd consider buying with a manual transmission is the MotoGuzzi V85TT. And only because that is just a freaking cool bike. Nothing else with a manual trips my trigger enough to even consider giving up the DCT at this point.

Last edited:
    Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    What is this stereo thing you cozy riders speak of? Navigation?? Apple car play???
    Is it an m/c or a truck with 2 wheels????
    04793F1A-1763-4D90-861E-598842B6F6D4.jpeg
    It’s built like a truck... Harley and Indian big bikes have navigation anymore. I know Indians is more advanced than HMC so I had a friend flash my stereo to upload Apple CarPlay in my bike for easier navigation, music, interface.. etc..

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It’s built like a truck... Harley and Indian big bikes have navigation anymore. I know Indians is more advanced than HMC so I had a friend flash my stereo to upload Apple CarPlay in my bike for easier navigation, music, interface.. etc..
    :faint:

I'm still trying to figure out how to get a clock on my bike.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I'm looking at finding a decent little day trip here in Indiana. Up here, there isn't much in the way of a decent road that isn't in the middle of nothing. Anyone have a decent trip/loop in mind? I'm just SW of Fort Wayne. Thanks!

BMWRich

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I'm looking at finding a decent little day trip here in Indiana. Up here, there isn't much in the way of a decent road that isn't in the middle of nothing. Anyone have a decent trip/loop in mind? I'm just SW of Fort Wayne. Thanks!
    Can’t go wrong with the riding in the NW areas along the lake.
    Anything east of Gary on 12 along the lake heading east up into Michigan is a nice ride.
    Dunes NP area. No admissions yet....free entry.
    Another area I ride, with tree lined back/farm roads in and around Chesterton, stretching out to Westville, LaPorte all north of 30, all the way to the Michigan State Line.
    I’ll be out that way Monday.
    Maybe see ya on the road!

Attachments

• 42C2206D-8889-47F3-8701-E6EB67EB959F.jpeg
      42C2206D-8889-47F3-8701-E6EB67EB959F.jpeg
      1 MB · Views: 2

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You can head out to Lagro & Hanging Rock. There's some nice winging roads near the Salamonie Reservoir and the river.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Rode in to work tonight since it was still kinda nice out. Probably gonna regret that in the morning when I get off since it's gonna be in the low 40s and I don't know what I did with the pants liner. The sun will be up at least. Hands will be good, I like to put rubber medical gloves on under my riding gloves when it's under 50.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    Rode to do a deal from the classifieds. I have probably rode to half or more of my dealing from Ingo. Iast summer I had a member ride to the meet up sight as well. First and only in 11 years.

yes I have done long gun and ammo deals on the motorcycle.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've been circling the local mall lot a time or two each trip back towards home. It seems to be honing my slow speed skills. Ballanced stops, clutch friction point, brakes, tight turns, dodging cars backing out, etc.

Tonight as I rounded the Target parking lot, IT WAS EMPTY. Ding, ding, ding... Jerry Pallladino time. I worked up a sweat, trying to make two parking spot U turns.

After a few boots to the pavement and some speed, friction point, rear brake finagling, I got the left U turn fairly consistent. Meh, 80-90%. (Really, really have to remember to look where I want to go, not at the lines. :ugh:)

I'm still skeert of the right U turn. Lean angle does not come so natural, handlebar lock seems too far, and the foot on the brake seems like it ought to be down to catch me. :xmad: I get one right every now and then, but mostly struggle to hit everything right.

I guess the good thing is that I know what I need to do...

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Rode to do a deal from the classifieds. I have probably rode to half or more of my dealing from Ingo. Iast summer I had a member ride to the meet up sight as well. First and only in 11 years.

yes I have done long gun and ammo deals on the motorcycle.
    Same here. Rode from Bloomington to Ft Wayne and then back via Muncie a couple of years ago just to pick up 1000 primers and some powder. I believe it was hwy 3 down to Muncie. Very enjoyable.

Top Bottom