• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I've been circling the local mall lot a time or two each trip back towards home. It seems to be honing my slow speed skills. Ballanced stops, clutch friction point, brakes, tight turns, dodging cars backing out, etc.

Tonight as I rounded the Target parking lot, IT WAS EMPTY. Ding, ding, ding... Jerry Pallladino time. I worked up a sweat, trying to make two parking spot U turns.

After a few boots to the pavement and some speed, friction point, rear brake finagling, I got the left U turn fairly consistent. Meh, 80-90%. (Really, really have to remember to look where I want to go, not at the lines. :ugh:)

I'm still skeert of the right U turn. Lean angle does not come so natural, handlebar lock seems too far, and the foot on the brake seems like it ought to be down to catch me. :xmad: I get one right every now and then, but mostly struggle to hit everything right.

I guess the good thing is that I know what I need to do...
    BW, good for you. We should get together. I do this as well. Getting it down to two parking spots is still tough for me on the Ultra Limited.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've been circling the local mall lot a time or two each trip back towards home. It seems to be honing my slow speed skills. Ballanced stops, clutch friction point, brakes, tight turns, dodging cars backing out, etc.

Tonight as I rounded the Target parking lot, IT WAS EMPTY. Ding, ding, ding... Jerry Pallladino time. I worked up a sweat, trying to make two parking spot U turns.

After a few boots to the pavement and some speed, friction point, rear brake finagling, I got the left U turn fairly consistent. Meh, 80-90%. (Really, really have to remember to look where I want to go, not at the lines. :ugh:)

I'm still skeert of the right U turn. Lean angle does not come so natural, handlebar lock seems too far, and the foot on the brake seems like it ought to be down to catch me. :xmad: I get one right every now and then, but mostly struggle to hit everything right.

I guess the good thing is that I know what I need to do...
    I'm glad your doing the drills, I did them every when I first started riding too, and when ever I get a new bike. Most ppl don't and get hurt from not knowing how to handle their weekend toy.
    Now that I do have an off season living a little father north. I do the figure 8 drills again every spring. I need to take the advance class again. It has been over a decade.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I was just installing my Cardo unit on my new helmet and I noticed it's scraped up from the attempted mur...I mean the accident. Still works fine.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    People think they're invincible. Even in the heat of summer I'll be out there in armored riding jeans, full helmet, leather jacket and gloves. The only iffy thing is the Merrell MOAB Tactical boots but they've already survived one accident lol

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    BW, good for you. We should get together. I do this as well. Getting it down to two parking spots is still tough for me on the Ultra Limited.
    Hey there my friend.

I don't really have a plan for when I do these drills. I often take a late day ride down to the Monroe dam area, then through the middle of Btown, ending up on the east side before heading towards home.

All that gets played by ear according to whatever might catch my attention. Lately, I've ended up around the mall towards sunset.

I tried the the old Marsh lot last evening. It looks usable as long as the car lot next door doesn't take too much liberty with parking their extra cars in it?

Parking lot lights weren't on, so hard to tell if enough ambiant light to go very far into darkness?

I didn't go at the drills very long. Did confirm some comfort in the left U turn and hit the right bar lock a couple times to made it work. Still skeert though...:runaway:

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I feel like the instructions for installing the Atlas make it sound more complicated than it actually was. It's like "hook the doodlething in the whatsit notch and ratchet the thingamabob to the snordgdoodle"

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    The throttle lock? Not bragging but mine has cruise control. I have to admit, it can be very handy at times. I wouldn’t figure a throttle lock could be too complicated but I’ve been fooled before by simpler ideas and gizmos.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    The throttle lock? Not bragging but mine has cruise control. I have to admit, it can be very handy at times. I wouldn’t figure a throttle lock could be too complicated but I’ve been fooled before by simpler ideas and gizmos.
    No cruise control on my bike but I do use the Atlas Throttle Lock and it works pretty well. No throttle lock is as good as a cruise control; a simple lock just can't do what a CC can do. But the Atlas Throttle Lock is pretty simple in both mechanics and in theory. Works better than other throttle locks I've tried.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My ride yesterday started behind a newbie or otherwise inept rider. 8 mile stretch of curvy two lane 45 mph highway. Riding paper plated cruzer of some sort, with a backpack on.

To qualify, I don't ride much with others. This experience reminded me of why.

The rider was back and forth all over the lane, when he wasn't smack in the middle junk. Trying to stagger behind him was a challenge.

In top of that, the rider could not keep their speed consistent, noticably rolling off the throttle in the curves to 5-10 mph below speed limit.

Scarier yet, as the rider drifted all over the lane, I noticed a fair amount of the time, in the straighter sections, he was riding with one hand. :n00b:

Could be mistaken, but it looked as if he started riding with the one hand riding after finally noticing I was behind him?

I was never happier to finally get an opening in oncoming traffic to pass this dangerous rider.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I don't see the issue with riding with one hand tbh
    There are places where one hand riding is fine. This stretch of road is not one of them.

Frequent intersections, driveways and oncoming left turners. On top of varying road conditions with trees and other sort of cover near the roadway.

Wildlife is also an issue, when you are not way out in the open to have the opportunity to see them coming. I spooked a turkey into flight that tried to hit me yesterday. It would have hit me, had I not cracked the throttle to beat the bird across the road. That would have been a real problem one handed, as would the alternative hard braking.

Last edited:

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Great ride yesterday. SR62 to Corydon with a stop at The Overlook. From Corydon back through O'Bannon Woods to SR62. A little over 120 miles with barely a straight piece of road . :cool:

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I avoid group riding. I have a 70 year old friend that I don't mind riding with. I got a little ride in again today. 1617844088794.png

Top Bottom