Military BS Stories or the last liar wins.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Yeah this might be one I’ve mentioned before but don’t stop me that’s one of my favorites.

My first assignment as a shiny new second lieutenant in the United States Air Force was at Tinker Air Force Base in 1982. The offices still had old black rotary dial phones with push buttons for individual Lines. We had separate phone numbers for individual sections and some individual people, if you got a call for somebody else on your line, then transfer consisted of punching the hold button and yelling at the other guy across the room ”SSgt Schmutz line 6”.

The base switchboard was ancient, and was finally upgraded in 1983. We still had the same old black phones but now we had a cool new function called *call forwarding.*

The branch chief was a prior service major who was a pretty good egg and liked a little bit of fun. So first day that the new switchboard was turned on we all (about a dozen of us) got together while the branch chief was out of the office and agreed to forward all our phones to the phone on his desk. And then we called all our buddies and ask them to wait five minutes and then start calling for us.

He comes back in and the fun begins.

*Ring*”hello this is Major Beaufort, Yes Lieutenant Alamo is in just one moment please”, Then he yells out into the office bay “hey Alamo pick up the phone”.

*Ring* “Hello this is Major Beaufort, yes Sergeant Scmutz is in one moment please”, “hey Schmutz pick up it’s for you”

this goes on nonstop for a minute or two, and pretty soon we hear him cursing every time the phone rings.

Finally he jumps up and comes out of his office yelling “what the hell is going on here?! I know you sneaky bastards have something to do with it, somebody tell me what’s going on!”

Of course we were laughing too hard to try to keep a straight face so we fessed up and he ordered us to unscrew the phones and threatened everybody with death or worse.

Good times, good times.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Spring 1999: young USAF MSgt KellyinAvon is at "No-Hope" Pope AFB, North Carolina and is the Non-Commissioned Offier In Charge (NCOIC) of MRSP (Mobility Readiness Spares Packages.) This is several million $$ of spare aircraft parts on aircraft pallets, ready to go 24-72 hours. Also referred to as WRSK kits (War Readiness Spares Kits), the name changed sometime after Desert Storm because WRSK was WRM (War Reserve Materiel), MRSP is not, way TMI.

Operation Allied Force (Air War over the former Yugoslavia, AKA Operation Forget Monica, not to be confused with Operation Desert Fox AKA Operation Stained Dress in 1998) was cranking up.

We'd heard for several weeks the 23rd Fighter Group (the Flying Tigers) would not be supporting the operation. Lo and behold on a Friday afternoon there is a briefing at the 23rd FG headquarters building.

At No-Hope-Pope the 23rd was a tenant unit on the base. The host Wing was the 43rd Airlift Wing (flying ancient C-130 E-Models that were all older than me and my tail number begins with 65.) The 23rd HQ was in a rather small building. Something really cool? The main hallway had pictures of all the Commanders. The first one was Claire Lee Chennault who commanded the American Volunteer Group in China.

The rather small building had a rather small conference room. So many people were in there they couldn't close the door. The Group Commander (Colonel and of course an A-10 pilot) announces that this is a classified briefing and we need to have fewer people in the room.

In fighter pilot style, the Group Commander starts going around the room. It didn't matter if he knew the people or not, he'd point and ask, "Who are you?" The response of course is rank/name/duty title.

I'm maybe the 15th person in the line he's going down on that side of the conference room. Everyone (including my Squadron Commander) was told "you need to leave." He gets to me, I say Sergeant KellyinAvon, NCOIC of Mobility Readiness Spares Packages. He says, "Sergeant KellyinAvon, you need to be here."

Definitely in my top-5 best days in the USAF.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Not real proud of this one but...ok.
    SGT Don was selected for the MECEP program, very difficult to get into. Basically an Officer program, you go to college to get your degree while staying on active duty, then get commissioned.
    Get sent to San Diego were I meet some good Marines who like myself make bad decisions involving alcohol at times. :dunno:
    After a night out we are busted by the San Diego PD for dui, I was driving. I am so old this was before the .08 law went into effect. I go to jail, another Marine drives the others to the base. Sitting in jail it occurs to me I have enough money in my locker for bail. But the only one who knows the phone number is my wife who is in NY with my parents. So I call her at 0330 their time. I proceed to explain the situation and she says "YOU ARE WHERE!!??". Wife is not happy, go figure. Talk to the Navy Chief who is their liaison and explain I really need to be back in time for morning formation or I will lose my chance in the program. He says he will see I am out in time. Sure enough, they let me out at 0630 so I can get to formation at 0700 but I am downtown San Diego, less than a dollar in my pocket (before cell phones). So I walk to the base, get there about midmorning.
    Figuring it was over I went to my barracks, showered, got in uniform and went to the CO's office to face the heat. The CO was a fire breathing Marine who brooked no BS - EVER! Thought I would be roasted, toasted and hung out to dry.

Well, he wasn't there that day. The Exec was in charge and he was a Reserve Officer who really just wanted to be back at the university he taught at. I presented myself to the SGT in the office, he got me in front of the Exec who asked if I had ever been in trouble like this before. "No Sir!","Are you going to do this again?", No Sir!!", "get out of my office Marine". Nothing said about it after this, except my wife who was PO'ed to the max.

Can't believe I got away with that.....

Don

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Spring 1999: young USAF MSgt KellyinAvon is at "No-Hope" Pope AFB, North Carolina and is the Non-Commissioned Offier In Charge (NCOIC) of MRSP (Mobility Readiness Spares Packages.) This is several million $$ of spare aircraft parts on aircraft pallets, ready to go 24-72 hours. Also referred to as WRSK kits (War Readiness Spares Kits), the name changed sometime after Desert Storm because WRSK was WRM (War Reserve Materiel), MRSP is not, way TMI.

Operation Allied Force (Air War over the former Yugoslavia, AKA Operation Forget Monica, not to be confused with Operation Desert Fox AKA Operation Stained Dress in 1998) was cranking up.

We'd heard for several weeks the 23rd Fighter Group (the Flying Tigers) would not be supporting the operation. Lo and behold on a Friday afternoon there is a briefing at the 23rd FG headquarters building.

At No-Hope-Pope the 23rd was a tenant unit on the base. The host Wing was the 43rd Airlift Wing (flying ancient C-130 E-Models that were all older than me and my tail number begins with 65.) The 23rd HQ was in a rather small building. Something really cool? The main hallway had pictures of all the Commanders. The first one was Claire Lee Chennault who commanded the American Volunteer Group in China.

The rather small building had a rather small conference room. So many people were in there they couldn't close the door. The Group Commander (Colonel and of course an A-10 pilot) announces that this is a classified briefing and we need to have fewer people in the room.

In fighter pilot style, the Group Commander starts going around the room. It didn't matter if he knew the people or not, he'd point and ask, "Who are you?" The response of course is rank/name/duty title.

I'm maybe the 15th person in the line he's going down on that side of the conference room. Everyone (including my Squadron Commander) was told "you need to leave." He gets to me, I say Sergeant KellyinAvon, NCOIC of Mobility Readiness Spares Packages. He says, "Sergeant KellyinAvon, you need to be here."

Definitely in my top-5 best days in the USAF.

That's funny, I'd be trying to find a way to NOT be there.
    NAVY
    Never
    Again
    Volunteer
    Yourself

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    That's funny, I'd be trying to find a way to NOT be there.
    NAVY
    Never
    Again
    Volunteer
    Yourself
    But wait, there's more!

We sent six A-10s from the 74th Fighter Squadron to Italy for Allied Force. The Flying Tigers had (and still does AFAIK) two fighter squadrons. The 75th Fighter Squadron (the Tiger-Sharks, I liked them. The 74th was a bunch of a**holes) was TDY to Nellis AFB, Nevada with a significant amount of the spare parts. The spare parts in the MRSP still in North Carolina were actually all over the warehouse floor because we were in the middle of a reorganization project.

Did I bring this up in the meeting? Oh hell no. I think my exact words were, "You tell me when and where, and we'll be there 30 minutes early." THANKFULLY, when and where was about 72 hours later. I had a great team and we had the spare parts off the floor and back on the pallets really quick.

Worlds collide on a base! What's above was a Friday. Saturday? Little League practice. I was one coach, the other coach was the Mobility NCO for the Jet Engine Shop. He tells me they were ready, he'd heard the 74th was cannibalizing a crap-load of parts off of the jets not going to Italy to take as spare parts. Ain't nobody said **** to me about it and this is not at all a simple process (wasn't hard, just time-consuming and if you didn't do every step exactly right bad things happened.)

So, me and my then 11 year old son (he's 34 now) go to check on what's happening with the deployment. We lived about 10 miles from base, practice was on base, so everywhere I went, went a kid wearing sweats and cleats.

We go in the Support Section of the 74th Fighter Squadron... as I opened the door it suddenly stopped. It hit the mountain of aircraft parts cannibalized to be spare parts for the deployment to Italy. I think I said, "I'll be back with a truck tomorrow."

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    271960102_4827878060568262_4421025007127353137_n.jpg

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Actual footage of my first day after boot camp, while I was waiting to start nuke training

What utility uniform were you issued in Basic? Mine was cotton OD with the white t-shirt and blue/white name tapes. Missed the khaki 1505s by a couple years. Yes, I'm that old.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I was going to make up some funny story about how I was in dak tao in 68 and did something stupid and my buddy did something stupid and ha ha ha. And then admit it was all a made up joke in the end. Then I thought to myself...thats nothing to joke about
    Some here were really in the sh!# and lost friends and brothers. I was just a little kid in 68 anyway. Soooo
    Thanks to all that served whether in war or peace. Those of us who didn't owe you our freedom. And a great deal of respect. Definitely not a joking matter.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Was reminded of being a chaser on the carrier. Had to supply work details from the brig on occasion. They were usually the nastiest jobs that had to be done. I didn't smoke but we had to give the prisoners a smoke break. They couldn't have cigs or a lighter so I had to carry them. Would line everybody up, give them a cigarette in their mouth and then go down the line and break them off. Then say "Breaks over, get back to work!!".

It was not a nice place in the 70's.

Don

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Okay. My story involves a toilet. Specifically, the toilet in the "head" of Machinery 2 (Actually, AMR2UL Auxiliary Machinery 2 Upper Level).
    And more specifically, the AMR2UL head on SSN-611

I will have to break the post up a bit. So, in this post, to demonstrate how dangerous a simple toilet is...

A German U boat sank because of one.
    Pick your source. Read, or Video.

The submarine was scuttled in April 1945 after being attacked by British forces after she was forced to the surface by problems arising from a malfunctioning plumbing system.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    There are different types of flushing systems.
    So, this is a generic picture.

45889284_895670170630830_179772358754566144_n.jpg

So, 3 types of flushing systems.. that I'm aware of. Well, two types.. and one of the types has a variation.

Type 1.
    Small subs didn't have room for holding tanks. So, if you flush, you have to manipulate a lot of valves, in a certain order, to blow the contents overboard, and not inboard. Everytime you flush, you risk either blowing waste inboard, or opening the wrong valves and have a direct connections from the toilet to the outside, allowing sea pressure to invade the sub.

Type 2.
    (the type I dealt with).
    There is a big ball valve with a long handle, used for the drain.
    A small valve is used to supply water to the "bowl" of the toilet.
    When you flush, you just open the drain valve, and add some water (seawater).
    Then shut both valves. Leave a tiny amount of water to help seal the valve, but not too much or if you take any angles you'll put the water on the deck.
    The water flushes to a holding tank, called a Sanitary Tank.
    Showers, sinks, refrigerator drains, and drinking fountains also drain to one of the tanks, so it's not just poop and pee.
    When one of the tanks is full, Control is notified. The sub must not be in a tactical situation or tracking any threats. It must also be shallow (relatively).
    When Con gives the order, a Watchstander will isolate all feeds to the tank. Pressurizes the tank to a specified level above sea pressure (hence the gauge), and then opens the tank exit valves.
    When the tank is empty, the exit valves are shut.
    Pressure is then vented to the submarine atmosphere, making a smelly nasty mist. They vented through filters, that had not been maintained since installation 30 years before.
    Then the valves feeding the tank are reopened. and Con is notified.

This means the blowdown procedure doesn't have to be done EVERY flush. In fact, you can go a while, especially if you secure the showers and such.

Type 3
    Basically type 2. Except instead of using air pressure, pumps are used.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So, now that I've bored you with toilet talk, you should now know enough to hear the story.

Toilets plug. Just like anywhere else.
    So, when AMR2UL head (bathroom) plugged, the UL watch attempted to unplug it.
    There is an air hose connection below the bowl. So, you connect an airline to the quick disconnect, make sure the drain valve is shut, then apply air pressure. This should hopefully blow the obstruction into the tank.
    But this time, it didn't. So the EWS (Engineering Watch Supervisor) showed up and decided that it would be better to blow pressure BACKWARDS. Blow the obstruction towards the toilet.
    He wasn't going to blow it out the toilet, he was just going to blow it back enough to dislodge it, and then go back to a normal clearing procedure.
    So this Chief Electrician went through the blowdown procedure to isolate the sanitary tank, so nothing blew back into the boat.

Now the AMR2UL head is a bit different, because it has only one toilet, and it doubles as an decontamination shower. The room is so small, you'd have to straddle the toilet to decontaminate while the shower ran.

So the chief pressurized the Sanitary Tank, then went to the head. Now remember, normally you pressurize the tank, but you're blowing against sea pressure. So the difference in pressure isn't really too much. But now you're blowing it against air pressure. So the difference was a LOT.
    So, he grabbed the big handle of the drain valve, a big ball valve. He should have been concerned that the ball valve was bubbling, but he didn't think about it. When he "cracked open" the valve, all that pressure dislodged the obstruction. Not only dislodged it, but blew back with force.
    Now the EWS was standing outside the doorway, leaning in to reach the valve. So, the "contents" of the tank blew into his face, hair, mustache, chest, and legs. Also, the walls of the "head". Since the door was ajar for him to lean, it also blew onto Reactor Controls Division test equipment locker, well except for the area shielded by his body.
    So, he literally had a sh** eating grin.

So, he called for his relief, and took a Hollywood.
    A Hollywood is a long shower. Of course, "long" on a submarine is a shower over 5 minutes.

The new watch had taken over. So he was PISSED.
    He wasn't the original watchstander who couldn't fix it.
    And he wasn't the chief that screwed it up.
    But he had to clean the mess up.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Since we are mid-snowmageddon, here's a few snow related stories:

1989: Moody AFB Valdosta, Georgia. One day there were snow flurries. It was like 38 degrees, nothing was sticking. People were driving 30 on the highway. I remember this kid who'd never seen snow came into work and said, "I WAS DRIVING IN SNOW!!" Those of us who had actually driven in snow, pointed out that he was wrong.

1990: Keflavik, Iceland. The giant snow mountain from the snow being piled up on the edge of the flightline? Finally melted, in June.

1993: Taegu Air Base (K-2) RoK. Record snowfall in Taegu that year. Built a snowman with a co-worker who hadn't seen snow in 9 years. The snowman had a cape that was actually a black-out curtain.

A Buck Sergeant there at K-2 was stuck across town at his "girlfriend's" (quotation marks because if they make you pay for sex? Girlfriend is not really an accurate descriptor.) house. Next day he came in early (he was never early) and he made coffee (he didn't drink coffee.) Me and my boss didn't say anything, but the coffee was BAD. We had a Korean Civvie in the shop, he comes walking across the office, takes a sip of coffee and says, "BBBBLLLLEEEEEEHHHHHH!!!!"

1996: Rockville Naval Yard Installation, Iceland (the last manned remote Radar site in the USAF, closed in 1997.) We pushed snow with a JI Case end-loader (same tractor as the all terrain forklifts from Case, also junk.) Something with a blade would've been better, but we had an end-loader. Thankfully we had a large building to park it in that was heated, since the end-loader didn't have glow plugs.

2004: Langley AFB, Virginia. We'd been home for Christmas in Indiana for the 31 inches of snow that year. Driving back to Va the sun was shining, it was nice weather. Then, snow started appearing on the roadside. I-64 in Williamsburg by the Busch Gardens exit... traffic stops. It dumped nine inches of snow in an area where people can't drive on dry blacktop. A few days later I got on a plane bound for Qatar. Somewhere I have a picture of the path I shoveled out into the back yard, and the BBQ grill with charcoal blazing in the snowbank.

Top Bottom