Military BS Stories or the last liar wins.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I was going to make up some funny story about how I was in dak tao in 68 and did something stupid and my buddy did something stupid and ha ha ha. And then admit it was all a made up joke in the end. Then I thought to myself...thats nothing to joke about
    Some here were really in the sh!# and lost friends and brothers. I was just a little kid in 68 anyway. Soooo
    Thanks to all that served whether in war or peace. Those of us who didn't owe you our freedom. And a great deal of respect. Definitely not a joking matter.

Yeah, I had a couple of crazy Uncles who served in Nam. My Uncle Jesse was a
    Green Beret and I never heard much about his war days....but Uncle Junior was a mans man. 101st out of Fort Campbell. He wore the "chicken man" tag with pride. He did 5 tours of Nam, volunteered for 4 of them. He was a Chief Warrant Officer and flew choppers. He received all kinds of awards and had an entire bedroom at his house full of awards, medals, equipment and memories......I never got to go in that bedroom, he kept a padlock on it and would not discuss it for most of my life. I spent many, many days at Fort Campbell with my Uncle. To this day one of my most prized possessions is the helmet he wore in Nam in his first tour. He was taken as POW and was MIA for 6 months, when his chopper was shot down on his first tour. He was able to withstand the war prison, encouraged others around him to not give up hope, motivated them to stay strong and be patient.....when the time was right, they overran the guards, escaped and made it back to their own men. He was then sent back to Kentucky and told he no longer had to go to Nam, he said the hell with that.....and volunteered, for 4 more tours of Nam. I can still remember it ending and him coming home when I was about 6-7 years old. We had a heck of a party that day.....and I still remember that. We all took turns wearing Juniors flight suit.

I always wanted to hear war stories........and Uncle Junior refused to ever talk to me about it. I guess deep down he had a lot of bad memories of Nam. About 10-15 years ago Uncle was diagnosed with throat cancer. I still remember him sitting me down and telling me why he never wanted me to know what happened in that war, he was just trying to protect me. He told me of the torture, the pain, the sadness. He told me about killing innocent children and women because they would walk into camp. He told me about the nice lady that would bring them eggrolls everyday......who one day walked into camp with eggrolls, only to blow up to kill as many "chicken men" that she could kill. He told me the story of seeing kids walk up to his men for candy, only to blow up and kill US soldiers. He couldnt start to remember how many of his buddies were killed. How many chopper pilots he lost. He told me how he was tortured in prison. How he had his bones broken and refused to say a word. How he would go a week at a time without food.

I remember once asking him........why did you volunteer to go back? Without missing a beat he said to kill as many of them that he could kill. He wanted revenge, plain and simple.

At about 40 years of age....that day, I understood why Uncle Junior didn't share that with me when I was younger. To be honest, I still have a hard time thinking of the weight and thoughts he carried for a lifetime. Uncle Junior died about 6 months after being diagnosed with throat cancer, and in a really odd twist...Uncle Jesse died of throat cancer within 6 months of his brother dying. That was hard for me. They were a couple of my childhood hero's. They were my GI J's. I thought they were invincible and would never die.

I tip my hat to everyone of these men who have fought for our freedoms. It's because of each and everyone of them that we have the freedom to do what we do in this country. It is also because of the people like them......that makes me refuse to ever turn on our military or our country. We may be a ******** right now, but even on her worse day........America is still better than 99% of the world! It is because of those who serve.....that we are given these freedoms and I will never forget what they have done and the sacrifice they made for this country.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Not my story as I did not serve but copying from my FIL, US Navy Retired. In light of April Fools Day...

30 years ago today, two of the great April Fool’s Day jokes in US Naval history took place. (Well, at least during my 20 year part of it!) As sea stories will do, the story has morphed a little over the years. So please allow this old sailor a little latitude as he attempts to recount the events of the day.
    We, USS Monterey CG 61, were anchored off Haifa, Israel, about to get underway for an exercise with the Israeli Navy. We had the Commander of the US Sixth Fleet (COMSIXTHFLT) & his staff embarked. I’m not sure whose idea it was, but 4 of us (Don, Lee, AJ, & me, all technicians who worked on the Aegis Weapon System) decided to play a joke on our Chief. One at a time we told him that various parts of the system had all suffered casualties that morning. Basically, the entire system was Tango Uniform (sailors will know that term) We all then waited in Combat Systems Maintenance Central (CSMC) where we were going to yell “April Fools!” when he walked in.
    Unfortunately, the Chief was acting Division Officer, who was off doing recon on a future port we were supposed to visit. The Chief relayed the info on the equipment casualties up to the Department Head, who was standing next to the Captain & COMSIXTHFLT. As we were told, the decision was made to scrub the exercise & cancel getting underway. So then our Chief came into CSMC & we yelled “April Fools!”. His mouth dropped & he said “I told the Captain!”.
    So, he goes & fixes everything, & we get underway as scheduled. Don & me were sitting at our consoles in Combat gloating & chuckling over our successful joke. Then some guys started calling us saying we were getting put on report. We thought it was BS, but a little later two guys relieved us from watch so we could go sign our “report chits”. We were charged with communicating a false statement, & conspiracy to communicate a false statement. We were about 90% sure it was BS, but we signed & went back on watch.
    About an hour later 2 guys came up & relieved us & told us to go get in our Dress Blues because we were going to see the old man. (That’s Captain’s Mast for you civilian types. He can take a stripe, take pay, &/or restrict you to the ship) So we all changed into our Blues & lined up outside the Chief Master At Arms (CMAA) office. I was maybe 75% it was BS. The CMAA read us the proper military protocol at Captain’s Mast. You will pop tall, render a hand salute, yada, yada. Then we marched down to the p-way outside the starboard torpedo magazine. At that point I was maybe 50% sure it was BS. I remember thinking “They sure are going a long way to play a joke.” I remember looking over at Lee & saying “What do you think?” He said “Man, either were about to get f*cked, or we’re gonna have the best April Fool’s story of all time.”
    Then the door at the end of the p-way opened & here came the Captain. I was an E5, & I was gonna have to tell my wife I’d made E4 again because I played a joke on my Chief! The Captain said “Alright, let’s get this over with.” The CMAA said “Ten-hut, right face, forward march”. We marched around the corner, & there was this big sign on the torpedo mag door that said April Fool!
    The Captain said, “Gentlemen, COMSIXTHFLT wanted me to extend his appreciation for your April Fool’s joke, & he hopes you liked his!”

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I was just wondering, because I have always said submariner and watching JAG an Admiral (actor) said submareeeeener.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    The Marine Captain that was CO of Mardet had a habit of drinking/womanizing on shore. At the Dept Head meetings he had a hard time staying awake. I was a SGT but because I had an intense interest in the operation of the ship, I was bored most of the time, he would take me with him to interpret things he didn't understand. One of my jobs was to keep him awake.

I failed miserably one meeting and he fell asleep, mouth open, head back snoring asleep. The Captain stopped the meeting and sent for a photographer's mate to take his picture. The next morning I picked the traffic, intra - ship mail, I had a Secret clearance to handle this. In the bundle was an 8 x 11 full color photo of him asleep. With the help of the Marine XO and the Admin SSGT we wrote a letter on the ship's letter head chastising him for falling asleep during the meeting. It was a real scorcher. Even faked the ship's Capt signature.

He opened the envelope and read it, put it down, read it again, and got this worried look on his face. Our SGT Major asked him what was bothering him and he couldn't answer. Finally our XO cracked up and gave it away.
    He handled the ribbing well.

Don

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Watching "In Harm's Way" on YouTube, and..

1) Some of the things seem so very real, considering how bad Hollywood usually screws things up.
    2) I'm glad I only wore whites in nuke school. Damn things are impossible to keep clean in the fleet, ship's are dirty no matter how clean you make them.
    3) "Rock, you just threw out the book". Well, the book is a guideline, not hard fast rules. And because "Rock" disregarded the rule at the beginning, when Peacetime Commanders were still in charge, they took his ship away, just like in real life. By the end of the war, losing a ship, even if you broke a rule, didn't necessarily mean you lost your command. In war, the commander must deal with the situation, and the objectives, that he has, and can't always have people looking over his shoulder 3,000 miles away.

One of the problems I had with the movie, is that the book has Rock's son completely different.
    Another I just saw, 10 minutes or so till the end, in the final battle of the movie, the windows of the cruiser bridge break. In battle, those windows are not there, because they would break.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Government pen!!
    I thought about it. Cause I have 2 left in their original box, just fell off my desk into my lap.
    After 30 years, of course they don't work.
    But I can't bring myself to throw them away.

Out of all the government boondoggles, the skilcraft pens seem to be an exception.
    I usually lost them before they stopped working.
    And as a Logroom Yeoman for Engineering Dept., I got to see the price.
    If I remember right, it was 3 cents per pen.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Also, I figured a bunch of us old guys would remember them.

A piece of history that was in the background, and unnoticed.

Sort of a "unsung hero"

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    1997-ish, young USAF TSgt KellyinAvon is the Materiel Controller for the FPS-117 v5 Radars located on the four corners of a God-forsaken chunk of volcanic desolation known as Iceland.

My boss's boss was a Major who the Communications Officer for the 932nd Air Control Squadron. This Major happened to be from of all places Palmyra, Indiana and had graduated from North Harrison High School a couple years before I graduated from a certain high school in Washington County that has cornfields on three sides (cow pasture on the 4th, I know ya'll we're wondering ;) .)

I'd just came over from the Logistics Flight since we'd closed the Rockville Radar Site, moved to the main base at Keflavik, and Operations and Communications were all that was left. It's not like I didn't already know the Comm troops, there was maybe 150 total in the Squadron so everybody knew everybody. This was a bit different for me, I'd worked for a crazy Major from Brooklyn while at Rockville, he hated meetings so we had very few.

So I'm in a staff meeting (maybe 8-10 people in the room. I was the 1-deep Supply troop so I was there.) It goes how you'd expect. The Major from Palmyra ends it going around the room if anyone has anything else. He gets to me, pauses for a second, then asks, "Do you remember (first and last name of very attractive blonde in the class of 79 from my high school)?? I replied yes. He then said, "She was HOT! She must've been adopted because nobody in her family was remotely attractive. I mean she was SMOKING HOT!!"

Everybody in the room busted out laughing. Thankfully I was active duty when you could do this and laugh about it.

Top Bottom