• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    I feel like if a store's stance is no open carry they're attempting to find a middle ground between not treading on rights and not angering the Karens. Since I concealed carry anyways, I pay no attention to the signs. The point of concealed carry is no one notices and if they do notice then I'm doing it wrong. If my carrying is brought to the store's attention and I'm asked to leave, I'll leave. I'll probably be back though and still carrying, probably with better concealment. I don't think boycotting a store or a chain is going to change their stance anyways and it's been mentioned above that unless you are completely self-sufficient you likely cannot function in modern society without eventually running out of stores to shop that don't offend you in one way or another.

Meijer is not only anti-open carry. They are anti-gun. Their sign and several of their corporate responses said "no guns" which would include concealed carry. In most states (but not Indiana) these signs to have force of law, and you can be arrested for carrying.

Finding the middle ground would be no signs nor any corporate statement about guns either way. "We follow the state laws" is a good deflection to the Karens that shows no bias either direction. Putting big "no guns allowed" signs on their door is not finding middle ground.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Meijer used to sell shotgun, rifle, and pistol ammo.
    You could never find someone with a key though.
    Something changed in their corporate philosophy.
    My thinking on what changed was they grew, they started doing more business in bigger cities suburbs, they became more corporate.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    My Meijer still does. Bought 60 rounds of federal 450 bushmaster there Saturday. Decent price too at $24.99 per box. Took me 15 minutes to get someone with a key.

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    The Franklin Meijer still sells ammo too. It is rare to find stock these days, but they had 150 grain 308 Winchester soft point ammo the other day for $21 a box. Not too bad for the times.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    The Franklin Meijer still sells ammo too. It is rare to find stock these days, but they had 150 grain 308 Winchester soft point ammo the other day for $21 a box. Not too bad for the times.
    Doesn`t matter to me. I`ll honor their wishes that my pistol stay outside. But my pistol stays with my billfold. Meijer won`t see another Nickle of my money. There are consequences for actions.

dave6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Lawrence
    The Meijer near me on East Washington in Indy has stopped carrying all ammo except a few boxes of shotgun ammo. I used to buy ammo at Meijer regularly. Something has changed.

Curiously, years ago when I was a rep selling firearms, one of my customers was Barracks 616 in Grand Rapids, MI, which is where Meijer is based. Probably the nicest indoor range around (and yes, I've been to Scottsdale Gun Club in AZ). The manager there showed me around, including their private range which requires a special membership. He mentioned that the bodyguards of the Meijer family trained there. Double standard??

As I retired cop, I'm not a fan of open carry. Not only does it make some citizens nervous, but it also is an invitation to the wrong people to grab the weapon. I served in the 1980s before police duty holsters had serious retention devices, and a lot of officers were killed with their own sidearms. And there's also the advantage of looking like a sheep until it's time to become the sheepdog.

On a side note, years ago Lowe's had the no-gun sign on their entrance, and at some point it was removed. Maybe enough people complained??

ahab600

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 14, 2020
    Camby
    You should check out RK in Shelbyville if your paying that much for ammo with Mperks...

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Does that credit union have a driveup? Do they have other branches without the metal detectors?

The bank is THE LAST place I'd ever want to be unarmed, second only to the hospital.

Yes they have drive up window and ATM. Not sure of who does the monitoring. Several cameras and a request to take hat off. had my 4 inch cold steel in pocket though so I'm not sure it was metal detectors. You went in the first door and was locked in the foyer before the second door unlocked to enter the lobby.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I have read the first page (of 7, at this reading) and the sign is a blue circle with a slash across it, over a pistol. I’ve seen it for a few weeks now, and Meijer and WM are the two stores near me.

Fortunately, under my shirt, my gun cannot see the sign telling it it is not welcome. I will continue to carry where I see fit. When Meijer takes responsibility for my family’s and my safety, I might consider doing otherwise.

I didn’t say I would change, only that I would consider it.

Blessings,
    Bill

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Till everyone starts walking in with wrenches in their pocket and they get tired of it constantly going off.
    I encountered one of those and simply held up my janitor size ring of keys and got buzzed in. I am sure they have no one on staff qualified to monitor the machine.

They simply "profile" and don't buzz in people that don't look like they think they should.

Top Bottom