• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Well, their response shows that they aren't against firearms and their users. They are just trying to prevent the emotions that open carrying provokes in their employees and customers.

I can understand their thought process considering every town and meijer has a different demographic of customers who may or may not have experience with firearms.
    Good points. To further CM’s point, the lawyers are trying to create a one size fits all policy for several states.

I fully agree and want to protect our rights and the 2A. We also should recognize that todays moms, in particular, likely have never touched a gun, maybe even seen a gun other than in a holster on a belt EXCEPT on a screen doing crazy things. This literally terrifies her and she gets all emotional all over compainies like Meijer so the corporate types, to them it is a simple answer, no guns. There are probably more scaredy cats like her than all gun carriers, and certainly way more than open carriers.

They are trying to balance something that cannot be balanced, the irrational fears of guns the media has taught.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    it is a narrow plank for any business to walk.

How to stay balanced with your pro 2a customers, while not making the anti gun customers and their lawyers go crazy while at the same time, keeping the legal people at the insurance company from robbing you blind. What a balancing act.
    I completely disagree. All they have to do is say, "we respect the rights and choices of every one of our shoppers. We follow the laws of states and localities in which we operate."

How hard is that?

Why are gun owners always forced to choose whether or not they're willing to compromise their principles by shopping in an anti-gun store? Why aren't anti-gunners ever forced to make that same choice of whether to patronize a pro gun retailer?

If gun owners are so dangerous, you'd think it would be a priority to keep us happy, otherwise we'd commit violence at this constant offence, right?

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I completely disagree. All they have to do is say, "we respect the rights and choices of every one of our shoppers. We follow the laws of states and localities in which we operate."

How hard is that?

Why are gun owners always forced to choose whether or not they're willing to compromise their principles by shopping in an anti-gun store? Why aren't anti-gunners ever forced to make that same choice of whether to patronize a pro gun retailer?

If gun owners are so dangerous, you'd think it would be a priority to keep us happy, otherwise we'd commit violence at this constant offence, right?
    Because pro-gun (republicans) and the like seem to prefer talking about doing things but once it gets hard they quit. Anti’s (democrats) stick together no matter what if one says the sky is brown they will all die on that hill No matter how wrong or hypocritical what they say is.

this is of course a generalization and not true in all cases.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Why are gun owners always forced to choose whether or not they're willing to compromise their principles by shopping in an anti-gun store?
    I do not disagree with any of your points, but the answer to the question you asked is this:

Because they outnumber us exponentially. In reality if the Fishers Meijer allowed open carry all the time would they lose more business from those upset by that policy or from a no guns policy?

A great question is how do we grow the numbers to not be such a minority?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I do not disagree with any of your points, but the answer to the question you asked is this:

Because they outnumber us exponentially. In reality if the Fishers Meijer allowed open carry all the time would they lose more business from those upset by that policy or from a no guns policy?

A great question is how do we grow the numbers to not be such a minority?
    To your point about being outnumbered, what percentage of people who carry would you estimate open carry regularly? It's probably less than 1% of all LTCH holders.

I shop at the Noblesville Meijer regularly. I can count on zero fingers the number of times I've seen open carry there other than the few times I've done it.

Meijer is my go-to store for groceries and I've been to locations all across central Indiana literally hundreds of times. I think I've seen open carry in Meijer store exactly once.

Granted, this is antecdotal evidence, but seriously, how big of a problem can open carriers at Meijer be?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It might be because we’re not as organized, loud, numerous, and cohesive as our political enemies. Take what was demonstrated at the CC senate hearing the other night as an example. We gun owners don’t even stick together. Supposed “I’m all for the 2A” people don’t even agree where and when average people ought to be allowed to carry. They stabbed fellow gun owners in the back and poisoned that bill and some probably applaud these decisions like Meiers’.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    I can’t read. The signs have no affect on me.
    I don't care. The signs have no affect on me. Guns will never be embraced by corporations; liability, woke points, safe spaces... blah blah blah. I make my own decisions when it comes to the most elemental natural right of self defense.

If someone addresses me about possibly carrying a firearm, my only response is: "would you like me to leave?". If they say yes, I leave.

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    To your point about being outnumbered, what percentage of people who carry would you estimate open carry regularly? It's probably less than 1% of all LTCH holders.

I shop at the Noblesville Meijer regularly. I can count on zero fingers the number of times I've seen open carry there other than the few times I've done it.

Meijer is my go-to store for groceries and I've been to locations all across central Indiana literally hundreds of times. I think I've seen open carry in Meijer store exactly once.

Granted, this is antecdotal evidence, but seriously, how big of a problem can open carriers at Meijer be?
    My guess is they are pretty vocal when they see guns and highly emotional which for non-gun executives is more of an issue to solve than a logical presentation of gun rights points…

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Walmart and Kroger iirc asks no open carry, not no carry. Which started when people were carrying long guns in in support of open carry. Same reason Starbucks went that route.

Yes. While having a "no open carry" stance is bad enough, it's still much better than the "no guns allowed" stance that Meijer has just recently taken. While the "no guns" signs in Indiana do not hold force of law, they do in many states. So in many of the states Meijer has put these signs up, anyone caught carrying (e.g. if you print and someone notices) will be arrested and charged with a crime. So Meijer's anti-gun stance will have real impact on real people.

How about just not shopping there?
    Yes. But we need to let them know WHY we aren't shopping there. It's the only way to get them to reconsider this policy. If a policy pisses off 40% of the population (e.g. all gun owners) and they let the store know, they may take down the signs. I have over the years gotten a few stores to take down their anti-gun signs with this approach. But it only works if they get lots of phone calls and emails.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    But it only works if they get lots of phone calls and emails.
    And photocopies of receipts from their competitors helps too.
    (paraphrased) "your policy sucks. Here is an example of how much profit you lost when I took my business elsewhere."

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

How hard is that?
    That's what starbucks and others did. Then they started having people show up with long guns for meet and greets, and just to **** of the anti's. So they and others like Walmart and Kroger went to please no open carry. Actually Starbucks was more along the lines of we request you don't carry, but if you do, our employees are told not to say anything about it to you.

See above.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I rarely go to Meijer, but I've always open carried at Kroger even after they asked people not to OC, and the only times I've been approached has been by other customers that were open carrying with a comment like, "Whatcha carrying?" while pointing to their own guns. The area around my Kroger has gotten kinda sketchy, so I'm pretty sure they don't mind seeing "good guys with guns".

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I emailed Meijer Corporate the other night, and got the very same PC, BS reply all of you others got. I needed groceries and so I went to Meijer after work to get one last shopping trip in there. I grabbed my shopping cart, and went right up to Customer Service and asked to speak to the store manager. She showed up, finally, accompanied by another lady, she never did introduce us to explain who she was. I guided the two of them over to the side where we weren`t quite so conspicuous, and she asked what I wanted to see her about. I alluded to the new "no gun" graphic on the front door, and she said that was new, but that Meijer has "always" had a no firearms policy, but that "just came down from Corporate reinforcing their no firearms policy so that they would "feel more at ease" in the store.
    I told her that I`m generally in their store 3 or 4 times a month and spend anywhere from $100 to $150 each time I`m there, and that I was conceal carrying probably 90% of the time or more, and of course, no one ever knew. But I said that from now on they could really feel much more at ease, because I will honor their store policy, and my firearm as well as my billfold and my approximately $400 to$500 a month would no longer be there either. While this lady was extremely nice and polite, she also could not have cared less. She stifled a yawn 4 or 5 times as I was talking to her. I just told her that I wanted to be able to look her in the eye and explain my position, and I wanted her to see a real person, knowing that my money wasn`t going to be spent in her store any longer. She didn`t care a bit, but I feel better, and so, on to Aldi, or Walmart, or wherever.

Lpherr

Occupied
    I emailed Meijer Corporate the other night, and got the very same PC, BS reply all of you others got. I needed groceries and so I went to Meijer after work to get one last shopping trip in there. I grabbed my shopping cart, and went right up to Customer Service and asked to speak to the store manager. She showed up, finally, accompanied by another lady, she never did introduce us to explain who she was. I guided the two of them over to the side where we weren`t quite so conspicuous, and she asked what I wanted to see her about. I alluded to the new "no gun" graphic on the front door, and she said that was new, but that Meijer has "always" had a no firearms policy, but that "just came down from Corporate reinforcing their no firearms policy so that they would "feel more at ease" in the store.
    I told her that I`m generally in their store 3 or 4 times a month and spend anywhere from $100 to $150 each time I`m there, and that I was conceal carrying probably 90% of the time or more, and of course, no one ever knew. But I said that from now on they could really feel much more at ease, because I will honor their store policy, and my firearm as well as my billfold and my approximately $400 to$500 a month would no longer be there either. While this lady was extremely nice and polite, she also could not have cared less. She stifled a yawn 4 or 5 times as I was talking to her. I just told her that I wanted to be able to look her in the eye and explain my position, and I wanted her to see a real person, knowing that my money wasn`t going to be spent in her store any longer. She didn`t care a bit, but I feel better, and so, on to Aldi, or Walmart, or wherever.
    None of them, even if you do look them in the eye, could care less, especially a store manager.
    They are there for a paycheck, nothing more and probably wouldn't take notice of a firearm, without it being pointed out.
    Even then, they likely still wouldn't enforce their policy.
    Them losing $500 a month, isn't going to affect their bottom line. There are people that spend that and more, weekly.
    I appreciate your effort, but it isn't going to bring about change, as you've witnessed in person.

jspy5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Southern Marion County
    Because pro-gun (republicans) and the like seem to prefer talking about doing things but once it gets hard they quit. Anti’s (democrats) stick together no matter what if one says the sky is brown they will all die on that hill No matter how wrong or hypocritical what they say is.

A lot of truth right here, and one of the reasons why we are at this place in time.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>

harrison-ford-son-of-a-bitch.gif

:):

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI

Most of the people I work with and around are Libs and this can not be more true. I know some that are against 90 percent of the woke stuff but they will never speak a word against it and will support anyone who is against the Republicians

Top Bottom