• Waldog

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2024
    Southeast Indiana
    Liquid fuel vs. propane bottles for lanterns and cook stoves

I’m new to this website and just thought I’d throw in my two-cents worth. I have noticed on most prepper websites there is a general disdain for “white-gas” lanterns and cook stoves. I have been using Coleman lanterns and stoves for decades. (I guess I just leaked my age as a ole coot, LOL!) I truly believe that liquid fuel light and cook sources are a better option for prepping. Here’s my reasons why:

1) A double mantle Coleman gas lantern will provide you with about 40 hours of BRIGHT light per gallon of gas. If you need light 4 hours per day, one gallon will work for 10 days. Cost at Walmart is $12.00+ for one gallon of Crown White Gas Camp Fuel. One gallon of gas for a 2 burner Coleman gas stove will provide about the same time. In order to achieve 40 hours of operation with 1 lb. propane bottles, that will require a case of 6 bottles at a cost of $51.42. Both Walmart, AND Amazon are occasionally sold out! Propane lanterns and stoves are easier to light but, much less effective when they are operated in cold temperatures. White gas is slightly different to light, not harder, just different. And, white gas is not effected by cold temperatures. One other positive note is that Coleman gas lanterns put out a LOT of heat!

2) Many people will be concerned about carbon monoxide Anything that burns is going to give off CO. The there will be no difference in CO between propane and gas lanterns and stoves. Millions of homes have gas cooking ranges that are used daily with no ill effect. You just have to use common sense. When I was kid, we had a power outage that lasted about 4 days. My Dad got out Coleman lantern and stove to use in our house. The lantern was shuffled between the living room and kitchen while cooking. Although inconvenient, we had plenty of light and hot food. No one got sick or suffered with CO due to the size of the house and limited daily use.

3) The older Coleman lanterns and stoves are a MUCH HIGHER QUALITY than what is available new. I have found good serviceable lanterns and stoves at garage sales and antique shops. I have purchased lanterns and stoves on eBay that were reasonably priced and just like new. HOWEVER, over the last few years the prices on Coleman Lanterns has skyrocketed! A run-of-the-mill Coleman 220 Lantern used to cost about $20. Now, they are selling for $75+ with some collectible ones selling for several hundred dollars. Coleman gas stoves are still pretty reasonable as most people want propane. I outfitted all three of my kids families with multiple lanterns and stoves for their prepper/camping needs. My son-in-law wanted nothing to do with a gas lanterns, He felt they were dangerous and outdated, UNTIL my daughter used hers on a desert camping trip. Now, he uses that lantern all the time and really likes it. He doesn’t have to deal with empty propane bottles and 1 gallon of Crown Fuel take up a lot less space.

4) Solar is wonderful but costly and bulky compared to gas lanterns. I use solar on some of my HAM equipment.

Mantles; yes they are delicate and have to be changed periodically. If your lantern doesn’t get banged around and is treated with the same respect you would give a kerosene lamp, your mantles should last quite a while. I have had mantles in my lanterns that were a couple years old but, had only been used 4-5 times in that period and were still good. The new Coleman mantles are pretty crappy and VERY DELICATE. The best mantles are available on eBay; PEERLESS MANTLES PART # 2C-HG w/ THORIUM FORMULA REPLACES COLEMAN #21 MANTLES. I think they come out of Canada. They have a mildly radioactive element of Thorium. That’s the reason Coleman doesn’t make them any more. The thorium mantles are stronger and brighter than any other. I recommend having a dozen or so with your stash if you use Coleman Gas Lanterns.

Fuel Longevity: I strongly recommend the Crown Camp Stove Fuel as you don’t want your stove to quit during an emergency. You can get Crown fuel at Walmart and many other places. It’s cheaper than regular Coleman fuel. It’s the SAME STUFF however. I talked about shelf life of Crown/Coleman fuel earlier. Expect a sealed gallon CAN to last at least 7 years. I have used “open” can fuel that was at least 15 years old and stored in my unheated garage and it worked fine! Just for info, Coleman states that their fuel in a sealed can has a shelf life of 7 years. From personal experience, I have used Coleman fuel from a previously opened can that was at least 15 years old and it worked the same as fresh fuel. At least I couldn’t tell any difference. Since it is nearly pure naptha, without the additives of regular gasoline, shelf like is MUCH longer. Although, not as long a propane. This should help answer questions:

thecampstove.com

What Is The Shelf Life Of Coleman Camp Fuel, Undeniable Facts Defying.

what is the shelf life of coleman camp fuel, the “shelf life of Coleman camp fuel”, upon opening the container of the Coleman fuel, the shelf life of Coleman fuel start when opened, last “two to three years” the Coleman camp fuel either in can or bottle will remain useful and last for at least
    2 to 3 years if you had stored it in a dry place, a place that doesn’t rapid changes in temperature.

However, the Coleman camp fuel, either in a can or bottle, will last for at least 5 to 7 years upon unopened.
    thecampstove.com
    https://thecampstove.com/shelf-life-coleman-camp-fuel/

P.S.
    Coleman kerosene lanterns are available again. They only make these sporadically and haven't been available for quite a while. Buy from Coleman direct for $119 and free shipping. I highly recommend these lanterns. However, these burn KEROSENE, not Coleman/Crown/White Gas. They are among the brightest lanterns Coleman ever made. Coleman recently bumped their price to $129. https://www.coleman.com/lighting/lan...tionPoint=Show

Kerosene will store for years. Much longer than most any other liquid fuel. Use 1K kerosene. Kleen-Strip is a mixture of something else. For white gas substitute, use Crown Camp Fuel. It's a lower cost version of Coleman/White gas fuel. Buy from Walmart ON LINE! In store is couple bucks more. On line is cheaper.

Last edited:

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    I have two fuel lanterns and two fuel stoves. Also have 2 or 3 fuel catalytic heaters, those I don't use much anymore- propane is much better for that, IMO.

KARP

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2020
    Nwi
    I have a brand new never used Coleman dual fuel (regular gas or Coleman fuel) stove.
    I was wondering if anyone has one and used regular gas in it?
    Just wanted to know if it runs better on Coleman fuel or gasoline.

Thanks in advance.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Nice write up. The advantage of propane for me is 1 fuel. I seem to acquire 20lb tanks. Portable stoves and genny burn off it. Though I need a few lights as well. Solar takes care of that part.

The question I have is which item is more easily converted to use methane? That is more easily produced with a (desired) biodigester.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    1 lb. propane bottles, that will require a case of 6 bottles at a cost of $51.42
    Just an FYI. Shop around. I get the 6 packs at Sam's Club. I like to keep some 1# bottles on hand.

I can get my 20# tank filled for $19.00 and 30# for $25.00. So much cheaper than the camp fuel @ that point.

PSA don't get exchange tanks. They generally are only filled to 15-17#, not the full 20#. Go to a reputable place that can refill your tank to capacity

Screenshot_20240124_180822_Sam's Club.jpg

Waldog

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2024
    Southeast Indiana
    I have a brand new never used Coleman dual fuel (regular gas or Coleman fuel) stove.
    I was wondering if anyone has one and used regular gas in it?
    Just wanted to know if it runs better on Coleman fuel or gasoline.
    Your dual fuel Coleman will run on regular gas. HOWEVER, regular gas eventually clogs up the generator and the and the stove will stop running. For LONG TERM reliability use the "Crown Camp Fuel" I mentioned or Coleman fuel. Crown is cheaper and it's the same stuff.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just an FYI. Shop around. I get the 6 packs at Sam's Club. I like to keep some 1# bottles on hand.

I can get my 20# tank filled for $19.00 and 30# for $25.00. So much cheaper than the camp fuel @ that point.

PSA don't get exchange tanks. They generally are only filled to 15-17#, not the full 20#. Go to a reputable place that can refill your tank to capacity
    THIS. SOOOOO THIS.

The swap companies got sued a little while back for collusion. They all agreed to only deliver partially filled tanks as part of their swap programs.

So take those tanks and go find your local Tractor Supply or other refiller and have your tanks topped off. It adds a few minutes to the trip, but it is soooooooo worth it.

Judamonster

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    Fyi. You can burn white gas in the kerosene models. You can use unleaded as a substitute for white gas. Once you learn to service them, you can find great units cheap and be ready for an outage. I collect these and enjoy restoring them.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Kudos to the OP! This is a great discussion.

I think it's good to have options. While I have "decorative" Deitz kerosene lanterns in my house, they are rarely used. Same as the propane and white gas camp stoves and lanterns, collected over the years. Rarely used

For light in the modern day, it's hard to beat rechargeable LED. Be it an area light in a room or the Warrior Mini 2's, always in the pocket, I hardly have a need to light a flame and use up fuel of any sort when I can have better lighting on battery. Batteries with lots of backup, from duplication to alternative charging sources.

For a stove, there is a 20# tank on the Camp Chef on the back porch. Two nice burners that heat whatever needs heating, from the removable griddle and grill, to cooking grates for canning or coffee roasting.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Something else: Odor / cleanliness while running/burning. Propane burns a lot cleaner and way less smelly. Plus you can't really spill propane and make a terrible stinky mess.

anvil

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2017
    N.E. In.
    I would never use mantel type lamps in enclosed areas,,,not even tents. Thorium particles get airborne when burnt. Worst is intitial light up,,gradual reduction thru use.

DFacres

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2015
    This sphere
    What about long term storage of the steel cans of white fuel eventually rusting out and leaking out? I imagine most would have the gas stored in a place in a basement or garage where you don’t frequently go by and it would begin leaking unbeknownst to you for awhile.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene

This is a good place for information about Coleman products of any kind. I joined there this summer after I picked up two Coleman two burner stoves for $5.00 each. one from 1976 the other from 1966, both looked really rough, mud dobber nests, general dirt and a little surface rust. The newer one just needed cleaned and run fine after that. The other needed a couple important parts about $75.00 worth but now runs just like new and after a paint job looks great.
    I already had two lanterns and one needed a new generator tube for $15.00 or so and now run great. I would pick up more if I see them for really cheap.
    I like the liquid gas better than the propane even tho I have two Blackstone's one uses the 20# and the other uses 1# bottles. From what I have read propane will stop working right in extreme cold. I checked on my gas stoves when we had that super cold spell and they do take a bit more effort to get lit. If you preheat the generator they will fire up and once running are fine. Jim.

Waldog

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2024
    Southeast Indiana
    The Coleman Collectors is a wonderful organization. I have been a member for years. Been collecting lantern for years as well. I believe my earliest Coleman lantern dates from about 1924 and it still works!

If you are concerned about "Thorium", use NEW Coleman mantles. They do not have thorium however, they are more fragile and not nearly as bright.

One thing I learned about propane when I was investigating how to heat my garage. Open propane flame produces water vapor equal to the amount of propane burned. People noticed than their tools start to collect rust and that water would condense on the inside panels of metal pole type barns. The same way water condenses on the glass or can of a ice cold drink when the air temp is warmer than the contents of the container. Also, propane doesn't work well in cold environments (like the near zero temps we had last week, LOL!). Liquid fuel is not as problematic with the temperature.

Please don't misunderstand me, I'm not bad-mouthing propane. I respect that everyone has their preferences. I just wanted to share some thoughts about liquid fuel.

"Watch your top-knot and keep you powder dry."

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Top Bottom