• ...and so much more!
  • Waldog

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2024
    Southeast Indiana
    As a teenager & in my early 20's, I ran regular gas in non dual fuel Coleman lanterns. YMMV, I never had a bomb & they worked flawlessly.
    I think I mentioned it before, regular gas will work fine for a while. It WILL eventually clog the generator. How long does it take? I can't say exactly, a few hours at least (10-30?) It will also clog the Dual Fuel lanterns eventually but will probably take longer. I don't own a Dual Fuel lantern, I'm just repeating what I have learned from the Coleman Collectors.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The Coleman Collectors is a wonderful organization. I have been a member for years. Been collecting lantern for years as well. I believe my earliest Coleman lantern dates from about 1924 and it still works!

If you are concerned about "Thorium", use NEW Coleman mantles. They do not have thorium however, they are more fragile and not nearly as bright.

One thing I learned about propane when I was investigating how to heat my garage. Open propane flame produces water vapor equal to the amount of propane burned. People noticed than their tools start to collect rust and that water would condense on the inside panels of metal pole type barns. The same way water condenses on the glass or can of a ice cold drink when the air temp is warmer than the contents of the container. Also, propane doesn't work well in cold environments (like the near zero temps we had last week, LOL!). Liquid fuel is not as problematic with the temperature.

Please don't misunderstand me, I'm not bad-mouthing propane. I respect that everyone has their preferences. I just wanted to share some thoughts about liquid fuel.

"Watch your top-knot and keep you powder dry."

I've heated my 8'X24' workshop with a Mr Heater Big Buddy for the last dozen or so years. Got through last week just fine. No problem burning from a 20# outside tank via hose.

There is moisture that comes from the propane burning, but I didn't get (condensation) wet from raising the pole barn door until I drove the wet/snow driven vehicle in to the barn.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have a FJ Toyota. Needs high octane gas and lots of it. So the Colman camp fuel will work in a pinch. Propane will not run the FJ. In the opposite direction fuel from the FJ will work in the Coleman’s. No ethanol high octane and camp stove gas are very close fuels. Once you have a bin that has the funnel and accessories it just gets the good to go signal every time.

So the Coleman stove always has been the camp stove and still is the camp stove. It was dad’s and accompanied us on our trips as a kid. It survived a flood in West Virginia which wiped out the cavas tent (also dad’s) and sent lots of tents and equipment down the new river gorge that day. I have rebuilt it a couple times with seals. And I believe I have three of them now. One has the propane attachment and the camp fuel attachment. The old one is from the 1960’s and since it is 2024 now I think it has earned it’s keep and I will continue to use it and give it the pumping it needs.

Lanterns will also always hold a special place in my heart and the simple sound of them takes me back to cat fishing in upstate New York as a child. If room is available they also come along for the trip. I do find that modern battery packs and a good headlamp (or camp fire) have cut into the usefulness of the lantern for me personally but if there is a fire ban or if I want that soothing sound the Coleman (or two) always comes along if room is available. I have also found much of my camping includes more nighttime dark sleeping than it used to as I now get up very early.

I have many lanterns to choose from and I don’t think I have paid more than 20 dollars for any of them. I have much more invested in mantles than lanterns

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I would never use mantel type lamps in enclosed areas,,,not even tents. Thorium particles get airborne when burnt. Worst is intitial light up,,gradual reduction thru use.

Dads old truck camper had a mounted mantel lamp in the kitchen area.
    I still remember watching him light it.

Top Bottom