• ...and so much more!
  • Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Photo says it all. FBI requests Liberty Safe hand over the master code for someone’s safe they wanted to open. To my understanding, they had a search warrant, not a court order, which should not have mattered anyways. Liberty voluntarily gave the FBI the master code to open the person’s safe they wanted into.

Rip off your serial numbers and write it down somewhere safe in case you need to call. This is not ok.

Would you be comfortable with the dealership giving a copy of your car key to the FBI, or your mortgage lender giving the FBI a key to your house and garage code, if they had a warrant to search your car or home?

Attachments

• 86D567D4-9CEF-4AB1-96E8-0DA41893E893.jpeg
      86D567D4-9CEF-4AB1-96E8-0DA41893E893.jpeg
      216.5 KB · Views: 98
    Last edited:

BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    What do you suppose would have happened if they didn't get the code? They'd just shrug and not open?
    They'd atleast have to work for it. It's your personal property nobody else should be able to give access to it. If your piece of paper says you can "legally" access my personal property without my permission, your gonna have to break into it.

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    Some years ago my MIL couldn't find the combo to her safe after her husband died. She just called the safe manufacturer with the serial number and they gave her the combo. I was shocked.

I can't remember who made the safe but its a nice one.

By the way combinations on dial safes are relatively easy to change if you do your research.

musketjon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2023
    California
    Some years ago my MIL couldn't find the combo to her safe after her husband died. She just called the safe manufacturer with the serial number and they gave her the combo. I was shocked.

I can't remember who made the safe but its a nice one.

By the way combinations on dial safes are relatively easy to change if you do your research.
    That's one of the reasons I have an electronic lock on mine.

Jon

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    For the sake of discussion: what is the difference between a court order and a search warrant in this situation? This going with the "specific safe and contents" were on the lawful search warrant.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    For the sake of discussion: what is the difference between a court order and a search warrant in this situation? This going with the "specific safe and contents" were on the lawful search warrant.
    Just thinking logically, a search warrant is a piece of paper that gives the authorities certain access to search for certain things, in/on certain property. I'm surprised it compels 3rd parties to hand over combinations unless they're named in the warrant.

BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    They would have just cut it open. We just had an incident where our former Sheriff was served a search warrant which included his safe(s). Didn't voluntarily open them and the Fire Department was requested to the scene and opened them.
    I was about to bring up the same thing. You beat me to it. JFD cut it open with a saw.

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    I doubt I will be buying from Liberty.
    From my experience if a company is served with a proper subpoena they will provide with what is asked for. For the most part it doesn't matter what company you buy from.

If for some reason they don't provide the info they will find other means to get it.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    From my experience if a company is served with a proper subpoena they will provide with what is asked for. For the most part it doesn't matter what company you buy from.

If for some reason they don't provide the info they will find other means to get it.
    It is my understanding, based upon other news reports, that Liberty was not served with a proper subpoena. The Feebs called and asked, they gave. They apparently had a search warrant but that does not force Liberty to do Jack.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Sounds like much ado about nothing. If they have a valid warrant, they are going to open it anyway. These "safes" are simply residential security containers which won't long-resist a grinder anyway.

I'm all for outrage about warrantless searches and seizures (which happen with alarming frequency and seemingly little oversight.) But if the authorities have a proper warrant, Liberty did nothing wrong (and in fact there is a possible argument that they can be compelled to provide this code). If the warrant was improperly executed or signed based on invalid information, the accused's opportunity is to suppress any evidence in court.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    What do you suppose would have happened if they didn't get the code? They'd just shrug and not open?
    To me, that’s not the point. Of course they can just cut it open from the side. I think the issue in question, is why they gave the code to get in, when they were under no legal obligation to. The warrant was for searching the owners property, there was no court order given to the manufacturer to give up the code.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Maybe 5 years ago my daughter bought a house. In the master closet was a Sentry Safe. Previous owners left it because it was bolted to the floor. They claimed they never used it, and had no idea what may be in it. That got my curiosity up. I grabbed my amplified stethoscope. It took less than 5 minutes to open it, and I'd never done anything like that before. I just assume that safes are like other locks. They keep honest people out, and only slow down the determined thief. I use a safe for my guns. I have no delusions that I am the only one who can open it.

BTW, there was nothing in it.

Last edited:

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Maybe 5 years ago my daughter bought a house. In the master closet was a Sentry Safe. Previous owners left it because it was bolted to the floor. They claimed they never used it, and had no idea what may be in it. That got my curiosity up. I grabbed my amplified stethoscope. It took less than 5 minutes to open it, and I'd never done anything like that before. I just assume that safes are like other locks. They keep honest people out, and only slow down the determined thief. I use a safe for my guns. I have no delusions that I am the only one who can open it.
    Well…inquiring minds want to know…what was in the safe???

Top Bottom