• ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Which is why I stated it doesn't have to be recent. How about 1828 Webster's?

Going back almost 200 years abortion includes spontaneous miscarriage.
    Heck 1. of your cite also lists it, "spontaneous abortion".
    I think what's bothering me here is the reductio ad dictionarium. The term abortion is used lots of different ways. A miscarriage is a spontaneously aborted pregnancy; we know that's not what we're talking about. We all know what we're talking about here: elective abortion procedure that ends viable pregnancy.

I agree pretty much.

Can't find much, if anything to disagree with here.
    And this should be the point. Playing semantics is only going to distract from achieving what we all (or most of us) agree on.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Then why do they call it an ectopic pregnancy? And as many sources as you can cite that state womb/uterus I can find that don't specify.
    This is another example of reductio ad dictionarium. I don't understand the point. Yes, the term ectopic pregnancy includes the word pregnancy. It doesn't change the nature of the condition. A normal, viable pregnancy includes fertilization of the egg and implantation of the embryo in the endometrial lining of the uterus. An ectopic "pregnancy" is not that.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    This is another example of reductio ad dictionarium. I don't understand the point. Yes, the term ectopic pregnancy includes the word pregnancy. It doesn't change the nature of the condition. A normal, viable pregnancy includes fertilization of the egg and implantation of the embryo in the endometrial lining of the uterus. An ectopic "pregnancy" is not that.
    Yes that is a normal, viable pregnancy, an ectopic pregnancy is not normal or viable. But it's still a pregnancy.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Yes that is a normal, viable pregnancy, an ectopic pregnancy is not normal or viable. But it's still a pregnancy.
    Yet - again - we all know what we're talking about, right? Why bust chops over someone using pregnancy in the context of normal, viable pregnancy, and excluding ectopic pregnancy because the latter is neither normal nor viable? How does that help advance an argument or policy position?

The abortion advocates play these kinds of semantics/word games, to obfuscate from reality. Let's not facilitate them.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Yet - again - we all know what we're talking about, right? Why bust chops over someone using pregnancy in the context of normal, viable pregnancy, and excluding ectopic pregnancy because the latter is neither normal nor viable? How does that help advance an argument or policy position?

The abortion advocates play these kinds of semantics/word games, to obfuscate from reality. Let's not facilitate them.
    I've told you why I brought it up, a couple of times IIRC. You're the one that started busting my chops over using it.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I've told you why I brought it up, a couple of times IIRC. You're the one that started busting my chops over using it.
    It wasn't intentionally directed at you; your comments just happened to be where I jumped into the conversation.

I'd rather we focus on agreeing that elective abortion should be banned, and discussing what would make for passable legislation, and good law, around that point.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I think what's bothering me here is the reductio ad dictionarium. The term abortion is used lots of different ways. A miscarriage is a spontaneously aborted pregnancy; we know that's not what we're talking about. We all know what we're talking about here: elective abortion procedure that ends viable pregnancy.

And this should be the point. Playing semantics is only going to distract from achieving what we all (or most of us) agree on.
    You mean other uses of a word based on additional definitions or usages?

Like:

a·bor·tion

noun
    noun: abortion; plural noun: abortions
    the deliberate termination of a human pregnancy, most often performed during the first 28 weeks of pregnancy.

an object or undertaking regarded by the speaker as unpleasant or badly made or carried out.

I learned on INGO that no definitions, although listed in a dictionary entry, not approved of by a poster for purposes of argumentation are valid nor will be acknowledged to exist

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    You mean other uses of a word based on additional definitions or usages?

Like:
    Is there some way to make that definition relevant in the current context?

I learned on INGO that no definitions, although listed in a dictionary entry, not approved of by a poster for purposes of argumentation are valid nor will be acknowledged to exist
    And what you describe is reductio ad dictionarium. I know it's INGO, and all...

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    I'm curious about the reasoning for a different gestational limit based on the age of the mother? What is the rationale, whether viewed as additional time for a younger mother, or less time for an older mother?
    It sounded to me like they were saying that the additional four weeks was because girls younger than 16 have less regular menstrual cycles and so it would take them longer to realize they're pregnant.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I'm curious about the reasoning for a different gestational limit based on the age of the mother? What is the rationale, whether viewed as additional time for a younger mother, or less time for an older mother?
    I'm curious as well, only thing I can think of is that generally speaking the younger you are the less mature you are. And this is to give them more time to decide. Well and now that I typed it, I thought of another. 16 is the general age of consent in IN with some exceptions. They may have made a longer gestational limit for those under the age of consent who may not have wanted to out their boyfriend. I'm also and this is strictly a WAG but wondering if perhaps girls under 16 are more likely to suffer from incest than older girls? If so perhaps it might give them some additional time to find help and/or decide they need to find help.
    It sounded to me like they were saying that the additional four weeks was because girls younger than 16 have less regular menstrual cycles and so it would take them longer to realize they're pregnant.
    This is also a good possibility.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Are you serious? They have been redefining a lot of words lately.
    Oh. I get that definitions change. Like Webster or whoever changed the definition of “female” a few days ago. So you’re saying… woke people have changed the dictionary definition of abortion?

Top Bottom