• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yeah, I wasn't sure either. I was seeing a lot of chatter about it being an M&P15 so I just did a goggle search about the firearm that was used in the July 4th massacre in Highland Park and I found that info.
    I always use goggles when searching the internet. You never know what might fly back at you and put an eye out! :):

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Until it breaks.

There are reports of (especially the non-black versions) the receiver breaking at the pivot pin.

Cool range toy, but I wouldnt trust one.

EDIT: MULTIPLE issues. While looking for an example pic, I discovered more than just the pivot breaks. Another recall as well. Worse than I thought.
    I love my Ruger PC Carbine.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    On Tuesday, police told how Crimo's father sponsored him for a FOID card - the license needed to buy a gun - in 2019 when he was 19. It was two months after an incident at the home where cops said they confiscated 16 knives, a dagger and a sword after Bobby threatened to 'kill everyone' in his family.

Amid intense scrutiny of that decision to help his son buy a gun, the father's attorney said on Tuesday that police 'couldn't have been too concerned' because they returned the knives to Bobby two weeks later.

'The police returned those knives to them two weeks after they took the knives. The police couldn't have been too alarmed. There was a dispute and the situation was resolved.
    I'm of the mind that hindsight is 20/20 and IN GENERAL I don't like to hold parents, teachers, police, counselors, etc responsible for the fact they "didn't see it coming".

However, parents need a sense of responsibility in general with providing cars, firearms, etc. I am aware that sometimes kids as young as 14 have handled firearms responsibly and even defended their homes.
    I think the parent needs to at least exercise SOME standard before they turn access over.
    When my kids were teens, they were probably less troubled than many teens. No drugs, no LEO contact etc. But they were still teenagers with those unpredictable emotions. We really didn't have to make the difficult decision of firearms access based on estimating if they were fully emotionally mature, though I thought about it a lot. In our case, they made the decision for us because both of them got bored with firearms training.
    Our son took the basic class when he was 14 then didn't want any more classes, though he would shoot with us on the range occasionally. Finally at age 19 he took a weekend class with us again. He handled the firearms well. He also was by this age showing general stability and working and in school. So by age 20 he had access to the basic pistol safe.
    My daughter OTOH is 21 and we still won't give her access except when we are with her. She won't take enough training to suit us.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm of the mind that hindsight is 20/20 and IN GENERAL I don't like to hold parents, teachers, police, counselors, etc responsible for the fact they "didn't see it coming".

However, parents need a sense of responsibility in general with providing cars, firearms, etc. I am aware that sometimes kids as young as 14 have handled firearms responsibly and even defended their homes.
    I think the parent needs to at least exercise SOME standard before they turn access over.
    When my kids were teens, they were probably less troubled than many teens. No drugs, no LEO contact etc. But they were still teenagers with those unpredictable emotions. We really didn't have to make the difficult decision of firearms access based on estimating if they were fully emotionally mature, though I thought about it a lot. In our case, they made the decision for us because both of them got bored with firearms training.
    Our son took the basic class when he was 14 then didn't want any more classes, though he would shoot with us on the range occasionally. Finally at age 19 he took a weekend class with us again. He handled the firearms well. He also was by this age showing general stability and working and in school. So by age 20 he had access to the basic pistol safe.
    My daughter OTOH is 21 and we still won't give her access except when we are with her. She won't take enough training to suit us.

Parenting, it's not just a word.

Only wish more folks would study your fine example!

There is so much good to say about this post, but I'll just point out that a lot of "parents" think their job is over when the kids turn the "legal" age of 18.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

I can agree with this. While I'm not ready to fault the parents I do think it was irresponsible for the father to sponsor his kid's FOID application. I'm not really buying it when he says he didn't know about the prior incidents when his kid attempted suicide and then a couple of months later, when he threatened to kill family members. Like I said knowing all that if it was my kid, I would have never signed off on the application that allowed him to purchase three rifles and a shotgun. One of which was used to commit the massacre.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I can agree with this. While I'm not ready to fault the parents I do think it was irresponsible for the father to sponsor his kid's FOID application. I'm not really buying it when he says he didn't know about the prior incidents when his kid attempted suicide and then a couple of months later, when he threatened to kill family members. Like I said knowing all that if it was my kid, I would have never signed off on the application that allowed him to purchase three rifles and a shotgun. One of which was used to commit the massacre.
    Yeah I can as well. And like you I'm not buying it, especially when the father went in and signed that the knives and sword were his. I'd be hearing the full story before I even considered doing something like that, let alone giving them right back to him. I'd like to see a video clip of him to try to get a better feel for him.

I will say after seeing that video of his mother that he came by any mental illnesses he may have honestly IMO. And his uncle seemed off as well, that could be a mental illness or at least a couple of other things. Still in shock over what happened, seen the Dr and got a script for uncle's little helper, or any combination of the three. One thing I wonder from what his mother said and his father lying and picking up his knives and signing off on the foid, and that is they knew he was a total headcase and did whatever he wanted to try and appease him and save themselves because they were scared **** less of him.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    My guess is the family has a Chicago machine connection that has been helping them along through the years. It would explain a lot of things that don't add up.
    That is a possibility, grandfather business owner, father the same and ran for what city council or mayor? Both of them and iirc the uncle all well known.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    That is a possibility, grandfather business owner, father the same and ran for what city council or mayor? Both of them and iirc the uncle all well known.
    The father ran for mayor at one time so the family I would imagine are known by quite a few. As a matter of fact, I saw an interview with the current Lady mayor, and she said she knew the perp when he was young. I believe she said he was a cub scout or something like that and she was a den mother.

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Yeah I can as well. And like you I'm not buying it, especially when the father went in and signed that the knives and sword were his. I'd be hearing the full story before I even considered doing something like that, let alone giving them right back to him. I'd like to see a video clip of him to try to get a better feel for him.

I will say after seeing that video of his mother that he came by any mental illnesses he may have honestly IMO. And his uncle seemed off as well, that could be a mental illness or at least a couple of other things. Still in shock over what happened, seen the Dr and got a script for uncle's little helper, or any combination of the three. One thing I wonder from what his mother said and his father lying and picking up his knives and signing off on the foid, and that is they knew he was a total headcase and did whatever he wanted to try and appease him and save themselves because they were scared **** less of him.
    The kid was obviously obsessed with wanting to obtain firearms. Not only would I not have sponsored his FOID application I would've been trying to discourage him from buying firearms. Who really knows the dynamics of what lead to the father agreeing to sign off on the application but there's no doubt in my mind that things within the family were pretty tumultuous at times. From the way I see it that is the last kind of environment one should be willingly participating in introducing knives and firearms into.

Last edited:

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Now I'm seeing a report on WTHR saying he planned another shooting in Madison, WI, which is where he drove after leaving the scene in Highland Park. Apparently he confessed to that. He's being held without bail, and if convicted, faces life in prison.

I guess we're lucky he wasn't arrested here. Mears would have let him go with a GPS monitor.

Top Bottom