• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    Except, they are all implicitly enumerated. Refer to the 9th and 10th amendments.

The BoR was never intended to create rights, but rather to constrain government from infringing upon pre-existing rights.
    I agree. The question as I see it is:
    What is implicit in #9 that takes the option away from the democratic process of the states in #10?

The standard that the SCOTUS has set for determining what is implicit in the 9th amendment is in my opinion pretty good. It had to be something that no one would've really even questioned - like the right to marry, the right to have children, the right to refuse medical treatment, etc. Things that were and are vital to just regular daily living.

I've always found the constitution as a negative document to be the compelling interpretation to it. It's what is being removed from the debate, things that cannot be taken away just to be fashionable because the principles at play are too vital to be toyed with. Luckily, the constitution doesn't forbid ending a sentence in a preposition.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I agree. The question as I see it is:
    What is implicit in #9 that takes the option away from the democratic process of the states in #10?

The standard that the SCOTUS has set for determining what is implicit in the 9th amendment is in my opinion pretty good. It had to be something that no one would've really even questioned - like the right to marry, the right to have children, the right to refuse medical treatment, etc. Things that were and are vital to just regular daily living.

I've always found the constitution as a negative document to be the compelling interpretation to it. It's what is being removed from the debate, things that cannot be taken away just to be fashionable because the principles at play are too vital to be toyed with. Luckily, the constitution doesn't forbid ending a sentence in a preposition.
    Personally in regards to the general public I believe the main point of confusion is lack of understanding of the preamble to the BoR. If you read that, before and after reading one of the first ten amendments, things get clarified.

"The Preamble to The Bill of Rights

Congress of the United States
    begun and held at the City of New-York, on Wednesday the fourth of March, one thousand seven hundred and eighty nine.

THE Conventions of a number of the States, having at the time of their adopting the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added: And as extending the ground of public confidence in the Government, will best ensure the beneficent ends of its institution.

RESOLVED by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America, in Congress assembled, two thirds of both Houses concurring, that the following Articles be proposed to the Legislatures of the several States, as amendments to the Constitution of the United States, all, or any of which Articles, when ratified by three fourths of the said Legislatures, to be valid to all intents and purposes, as part of the said Constitution; viz.

ARTICLES in addition to, and Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America, proposed by Congress, and ratified by the Legislatures of the several States, pursuant to the fifth Article of the original Constitution." [Ed. Emphasis added]

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Which I think is politically charged language in itself. It's not "high powered". I was one of those who was confused by officials neglecting to openly talk about the weapon used. I think if the reason they neglected to report it was to keep politics out of it, why'd they call it a "high powered rifle? Surely they know better.

The problem is that they DON'T know better. They probably read that one idiot "journalist" who said he got bruises all over his body and PTSD from shooting an AR-15.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The problem is that they DON'T know better. They probably read that one idiot "journalist" who said he got bruises all over his body and PTSD from shooting an AR-15.
    The cops called it "high powered"! They have M4s. They know better. But it's pretty subjective anyway. I think "high power" in a political sense depends on the subject and what you want it to mean for your own political purposes.

Bugzilla

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    The cops called it "high powered"! They have M4s. They know better. But it's pretty subjective anyway. I think "high power" in a political sense depends on the subject and what you want it to mean for your own political purposes.
    Had a 67 Ford van with a 170 cuin 6 banger, 3 on the tree. My 74 Super Beetle was high powered compared to the van!

Top Bottom